• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Smoking Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How is it legal for a company(Alaska Airlines) to not hire someone on the basis of being a tobacco user or not? That sounds to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

As far as being a smoker............Yup, I'm one. I fly 95% of the time single pilot so who cares about what I look like and smell like. When it does matter I always have gum/mint and don't usually wear the coat that I went to the bar in the night before.

FD75:cool:

Freightdog75 said:
How is it legal for a company(Alaska Airlines) to not hire someone on the basis of being a tobacco user or not? That sounds to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Feel free to go ahead and sue. I'm sure you're not the first to think of it. This policy has been in effect for years and years.

I'm not saying I would sue them, but with the sue-happy country that we're living in I'm suprised that no one has tried to go through with it.

FD75:cool:

What a bunch a new age bull $hit! Any
of you buttwholes that are ranting about
clean air refuse to drive cars because of
what they do to the air? How bout this...
you are on an aviation wibsite, dipstick!
How many airplanes have catalitic
converters!!! Quit flying your airplane
around because of what they do to the
environment and I will listen to your idiotic
"eww, you are polluting my air with your
cigs" bull$hit! All the smokers in the planet
don't affect as much air as much as the man
made machinery does, so get off of it unless
your sole means of transport is a bike...and
look up the environmental costs of producing
that bike are before you come back! (and the
Nike factory in Malasia for that part).

There is nothing that pisses me off as much
as a feel good liberal telling someone that
they can't do something because it offends
them. What a crock of fuquing $hit! I wear
leather and eat beef and want to see you
puke when I send a stream of baccyjuice
on about a fifteen foot arc over the ramp!

All yall are full of frigging double standards
and it pi$$es me off! If I see you I will light
up the biggest, stinkiest stogie I can find till
you start practicing not doing any harm to the
air, trees, groundwater (let's see ya not crap
for the rest of your life) scorpions,
cockroaches, blackwidows, cyotes (after it
drags your kid off) brown recluses, gnats,
mosquitoes, blah blah and etc.

Is that a real fur you're wearing???

I'm a member of PETA...People for the Eating
of Tasty Animals!

A personal story about a pilot that smoked.

I got hired in 1980 by a company called Mississippi Valley. I took my new hire oral & flight check from the then director of training. During the oral, I was asked to recite from memory the cap panel lights on the Shorts 330. I got all but one of them and stoped. The director of training said, very good, but you are one short, then proceded to light a cig right in front of my face. "Um, Fire" I said, trembling. Correct! was his response, Lets go flying!

Fast forward about 20 years, to a 12 month sim check in the CRJ at ACA. My former mentor and I have been friends all this time and today we are paired together as co-captain training partners. I'm psyched, as since for the last decade we have both been senior captains and never got to fly together. Unfortunately for my mentor, the sim session is not going well. His attention to the profiles is off, and he is edgy. During the break (outside the building so he can smoke) he tells me he hasn't been well lately and apologises for not doing well. No problem I say, we will get through the ride together or come back to it another day.

Several weeks later I'm sitting in the crew lounge and a junior FO walks up to me. Do you know captain so and so? Sure do, been buddies for years, whatzup? Well, he is really missing things flying and told me to watch him closely as he doesn't feel well, should I go to pro standards on this? Um, yes, lets see what we can find out, I'll talk to capt X, you go to pro standards.

The next week I find out that my buddy, who has smoked all his life has lung cancer and is retiring immediately, years before the manditory age. My friend was buried less than 18 months later.

In a perfect world I would be going to his retirement party right about now. Instead, I went up a number years too early. All of his 401K money was spent fighting the cancer and for his last year of living expenses, leaving his wife pennyless.

Think about this guys, and leave the cancer sticks out of your life.

Last edited:
>>How many airplanes have catalitic
converters!!! <<

You are OBVIOUSLY a smoker because that was the stupiest comment I have read. I don't know of ANY turbine aircraft that burn "gasoline" that require the chemical burnoff from a catalyc convertor.

And as far as your clean air defense, how would you feel if I put a hose on a dump truck and routed it right into your face while I stomped on the pedal? Gee, would you complain? Would you like it? Hey its a free country right? Why couldnt I do this? Because I respect that you might want to breathe clean air.

Fur coats? Hmm, when was the last time someone wearing a fur coat caused health problems to the non fur coat wearer?

Our government has made several good steps (although in typical slow fashion) towards cleaner burning vehicles, etc. If you drive anything newer than a '95 vehicle than you are doing your part.

Cigs were the same way, no one knew (gen pop that is) they were harmful back in the 70s, but now that we know the gov is taking steps to rectify that situation, just like vehicles.

So go cry liberal to someone else. Fast forward twenty years when you cant breathe and then say, hmm, it was my chioce and I'm GLAD I smoked. So go light up. Proven fact, every cigarette takes 6 minutes of your life. Here, let me buy you a carton.

I flew with a chain smoker. Alwyas hiding puffing away just before departure time and just about the first one out when the MCD was opened.

God that guy could get grouchy towards the end of a 2 hour flight!!! DAMM. Do yourselves and us a favor and QUIT!!

belchfire said:
What a bunch a new age bull $hit! Any
of you buttwholes that are ranting about
clean air refuse to drive cars because of
what they do to the air?
There is nothing that pisses me off as much
as a feel good liberal telling someone that
they can't do something because it offends
them. What a crock of fuquing $hit! I wear
leather and eat beef and want to see you
puke when I send a stream of baccyjuice
on about a fifteen foot arc over the ramp!

All yall are full of frigging double standards
and it pi$$es me off! If I see you I will light
up the biggest, stinkiest stogie I can find till
you start practicing not doing any harm to the
air, trees, groundwater (let's see ya not crap
for the rest of your life) scorpions,
cockroaches, blackwidows, cyotes (after it
drags your kid off) brown recluses, gnats,
mosquitoes, blah blah and etc.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel. ;)

BTW, doesn't Orenstein smoke? HA!

Mrhat

Firstly, there is NO evidence that second hand smoke does any harm to anyone, it will not hurt you. May annoy you but it wont hurt you. So lets stop with the BS now. You can walk into one of those smoking lounges once a day for the rest of you're life and you wont develope cancer from it.

(On a side note, If I were you, I'd avoid leaving the country because the rest of the world arent PC and they dont impose their views on the smokers. This is the only country in the world that smokers are treated like criminals.)

Well dood, you are "dead" wrong on both accounts. Just a little bit of research will set you in the right direction. Both of these subject are well documented. ;)

Latest resources

Back