• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Smoking Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lol.. not offended. Remember, this thread was started for those offended by smoking... sooooo... i guess i could say.. sorry it offends YOU! However, my smoking did pass my 10 yr criminal history check.. :)

RJPilott said:
However, my smoking did pass my 10 yr criminal history check.. :)

:D

Glad to hear that. Nah...just having a little fun with those who take everything so seriously (read...Mr Hat )

Take care.

Actually many companies and municipalities are taking this no nicotine stance. I believe the foundation is the health care costs incurred from insuring smokers, not to mention the extra sick days smokers take off compared to non-smokers.

Employee groups are tired of having to pay extra premiums for smokers, even when they don't smoke.

Look at the military, no one is allowed to smoke in basic training and smoking is actively discouraged--again due to huge health care costs.

Yea...health care costs of smokers. The states sued to get money from big tobacco companies. Then that jack ass Jim Doyle, soon to ex-governor, took the money in a lump sum to pay off the state deficit. By negotiating a lump sum, the state sold their settlement for pennies on the dollar. No money left over to take care of the smokers. Guess it's time to sue again.

trainerjet

trainerjet

I know of a pilot at Horizon airlines. He just stopped smoking before he got hired and once he got hired he now smokes. So I don't think your perfect little world is so perfect.

Do you really think that someone who pays money to put smoke into their lungs and increase their chances of getting cancer is going to care about you when they don't even care about themselves?

Second hand smoke doesn't do any harm -- what a moron -- what a maroon.

I personally knew a retired TWA pilot who developed lung cancer later in life; he never smoked. His doctors (plural) told him in NO uncertain terms that all those years of being locked up with guys who smoked all day in the cockpit had a direct, causal relationship to him developing cancer.

TittyJet, I'm sure no one has ever in history got lung cancer who didn't smoke. How about a genetic disposition to cancer? How about dumb luck?

I'm a non-smoker but if I want to get away from smoke it's really easy these days.

It's kind of funny how so many people from average Joes to corupt politicians are trying to ban smoking.

Just the other night I was driving home and I was forced off to the side of the road by someone who was obviously drunk. I happened to be smoking at the time. When I thought about it later while I was laying in bed, I remembered an overnight in Tampa last month. I found it ironic that I could not smoke in the bar/restaurant where someone could possibly get drunk enough to potentially kill someone that night.

When was the last time anyone got forced off to the side of the road by a smoker?

It seems our government (state, local, etc.) is telling us it's o.k. to kill someone tonight after drinking, but we don't want people to die after years of tobacco use. Our government tried to outlaw alcohol once, right? It didn't work.

I know that smoking puts me at risk for health problems in the future, but I do it anyway. Why? It's my choice.

I know that drinking alcohol also puts people at risk for health problems. Again, it's a choice.

I totally agree that a smoker has an obligation, especially in uniform, to use discretion on where he or she indulges. When I am in uniform I try to find the most secluded area I can to smoke. Ironically, most employee smoker areas at airports are in fairly hidden areas anyway, if they have one at all.

People are going to smoke. People are going to drink. Little kids are going to pee in pools. Management will screw workers. Gravity will make a 36-24-30 woman a 24-36-40. We are all going to die someday. Unfortunately, these are ALL facts. Life is too short as it is to worry about things we cannot change.

The next time some drunk runs you off the road, ask yourself if that smoker is REALLY bothering you.

Believe me, there are many worse activities that some pilots engage in than smoking.... I wouldn't lose any sleep about smoking among flight cresws.

Latest resources

Back