Smoking Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Palerider957 said:
It's hard enough to keep a medical without cigarettes---at least for me it is.

It isnt for me.... and no, im not in my 20's. Try working out. Medicals seem alot less stressful when you're in shape and eat right regardless of smoking. Im a living example. Although i could be in better shape.. but im not looking to join the NFL :)

Ages ago I worked in a paint factory (read: extremely flammable chemicals
[/QUOTE]

hmmmmm... hard to keep a medical,,,, worked in a chem factory?

Im not banging on smokers or non-smokers. Like anything else, it should be done responsibly. If one chooses to smoke, have consideration for your fellow human. If one chooses not to smoke and is offended, dont hide behind a screename and speak up when it stinks you up. Lighten up folks (no pun intended) You'll live longer..... lol

Last edited:
JohnDoe said:
The one benefit smoking has is that it envokes "Darwin's" principle:

The idiots that still smoke will eventually be weeded out though the various illnesses that smoking causes......thus hopefully cleaning the gene pool. :p

yep, and my grandma lived till 92 smoking 2 packs a day. However my dad had a heart attack at age 60 and doesnt drink or smoke... go figure....

Who's hiding??

Hide behind a screen name??? Who's hiding brother? I have no problem, in person, asserting my views. I'm simply making an observation.

You hold your medical with no probs, great. 1/3 of airline pilots medical out before age 60---if you eventually make it to a major (a serious question mark for all of us) missing out on those last few years due to heart, lung probs--is a VERY costly issue (perhaps half-million $$ or more).

The people I worked with were career chemical workers (I didn't work in chemicals, but in the Safety dept.), they were so fragged from chems, the I guess a little more cigarette smoke was sauce for the goose.

I just see smoking pilots as careless, especially if they have a family to feed and educate......just my 2 cents.

Pale... you should lobby congress to ban smoking. You seem passionate enough about it.

Hey, i understand your concern. I know smoking is dangerous. But so is lighting your pilot light, eating a cheeseburger, or flying a jet in a reckless manner. So... whats your point? Live and let live. You have a problem with it. Take it up with those that directly effect you as a person. Anyone whining on here is going to make smokers laugh at your stress over a smoker.

By the way... ever seen the cockpit of a 727 or DC-8/9? Those overhead linings werent always a slight shade of brown...lol

Ye gads....

Look man, I hardly have the drive to lobby congress re: banning smoking. You want to smoke....so be it.

I simply don't want to smell it in the cockpit, or anywhere I don't have to. Luckily this is the way the laws are leaning.

As for whining, or stressing over your smoking--please. You are the defensive one. I genuinely don't care how much you smoke. I simply responded to a new thread.

Yes other activities carry risk, some are necesarry others are not. Smoking is not necessary.

It's not my fault you are a slave to Phillip Morris....don't make your problem, my delusion.

I'm done with this thread......

I really don't care what people do, it is their business. I do like the fact that most of the smokers are senior to me. They will die at a younger age, and I can move up the list faster.

sleepy said:
I really don't care what people do, it is their business. I do like the fact that most of the smokers are senior to me. They will die at a younger age, and I can move up the list faster.

:D

ok, so what I smoke...

I'm a "courteous smoker", I don't smoke around my co-workers, I don't stand outside the workplace and smoke. I don't smoke before a flight.

I'm not trying to justify that smoking is good for my healtho or others. I just try to be courteous about my bad habits, so that it doesn't affect others.

Do you pick your nose in public? Do you scratch your crotch in public? Do you let farts fly in the cabin like its going out of style?Do I care....no. Just be courteous about it. Thats what I try to do with my bad habit.

Speaking of which...its time to go to "Flavor Country"

hey its America..

smoke if you want. Its your right to kill yourself. And hey, on top of that, you can blame it on a big conglomerate and your white trash kids can sue for millions of dollars. Gotta love it.

Really, I dont care if anyone smokes, just be polite about it.

Biggest peeve...

Flicking your F'n butts out the window because you dont want that smell and trash in YOUR car -- but you dont care if it hits mine...keep ths $hit in your own smelly car.

Re: Ye gads....

Palerider957 said:
Look man, I hardly have the drive to lobby congress re: banning smoking. You want to smoke....so be it.

I simply don't want to smell it in the cockpit, or anywhere I don't have to. Luckily this is the way the laws are leaning.

As for whining, or stressing over your smoking--please. You are the defensive one. I genuinely don't care how much you smoke. I simply responded to a new thread.

Yes other activities carry risk, some are necesarry others are not. Smoking is not necessary.

It's not my fault you are a slave to Phillip Morris....don't make your problem, my delusion.

I'm done with this thread......

lol... its amazing how much judging goes on in this thread based on smoking a Marlboro.

Ok.. first off.... wanna talk offensive smells??? I have had co-workers with me in the cockpit that use coffee for their morning toothpaste. At least i know enough to bring gum when i smoke or at the very least a tooth brush and toothpaste on an overnight. Second... not everyone that smokes have white trash kids (not directed towards you Pale). Third, whine to the party with the offensive smell. I do... it works.. i also offer them a piece of gum. Fourth, When pilots barely can fit their 5 point around them, i also ask how they pass their medical while they down another cheeseburger from BK in Terminal "X". You're wise to bow out at this time Pale :)

Hygiene has absolutely nothing to do with smoking (nor how you raise your kids). If we wanna get into an "offensive" thread. I'll include those that can barely pass their medicals and use coffee for their toothpaste instead of buying a da'mn tube and brush... not to mention breakfast burritos... but hey.. live and let live if it makes em happy... :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back