Smoking Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly2Scuba

There are a minority of pilots addicted to nicotine (chain smokers) and regarding that there are certain things that really peeve me regarding this behavior.

1. In my opinion a pilot smoking in uniform looks completely ridiculous (non-professional)
2. How the heck can one maintain a 1st degree medical for the duration. More then one has referred to them as cancer sticks. WTF, over?
3. A smoker's breath really stinks up the cockpit/simulator for the first 5 minutes (very confined space) giving me nausea and a headache for a short while.
4. Most importantly, I am constantly amazed at the disregard for non-smokers rooms by pilots and flight attendants alike which is why on this overnight I'm typing this thread in the first place.

To there credit, most have never asked about eating in the non-smoking section of a restaurant. If you do smoke please be more considerate to your coworkers. Where a patch or chew during duty time and remember you can replace one addictive behavior with another (suggestion: exercise guru).

I just thought you'd like my avatar......I used to fly cargo with a captain that would go in the back where we had a couple seats and smoke cigs and drink coffee. What are you gonna do?! I actually found it amusing.

"lucky for me I don't give a crap about your opinion"

What a typical bullsh!t comment made by a smoker -- that's just the problem with the majority of you idiots -- you DON"T give a crap about anyone else, or their health for that matter. All you care about is getting your little nicotine fix at the expense of everyone else.

One of my favorites is to walk by the smoking lounge (especially in ATL) and see those idiots in there lighing up with children in tow -- how rediculous is that? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem if you want to smoke in the privacy of your own home -- that's your business. It becomes my business when I can't even walk out of the front door of the terminal without having to hold my breath until I get through the cloud. Oh, and don't even try to come up with that inane, tired argument that it's you right to be able to smoke, because that ceases when you infringe upon someone else's right to clean, breathable air.

I'll bet you started smoking because it was "cool". Well, sport, it looks like all the "cool" kids are gonna be on respirators if they make it to 70. Here are a few facts for you, cool boy:

· Acetone – Paint Stripper
· Ammonia -- Floor Cleaner
· Arsenic -- White Ant Poison
· Butane -- Lighter Fluid
· Cadmium -- Car Batteries (yummy)
· DDT -- Insecticide (now banned in the US)
· Methanol -- Rocket Fuel
· Nadthalene -- Mothballs

These are just some of the beneficial chemicals found in every cigarette.

If you truly love your children, you'll quit so you can be around for them a little longer, because it is a proven fact that every cigarette you smoke takes an average of SEVEN minutes off your life. Or, maybe you shouldn't.......Darwin at work....the species gets stronger.

Wow, I think I'm going to go have one right now...all this talk is making me start to shake violentley form my uncontrolable cravings. You know, if all it takes is the smell of smoke to make you nauseated or dizzy, whatever the hell you said, you may want to look into locking yourself into a small cabin in the middle of the woods for the rest of your life.

You think may smoking is bothering you....Well its freaking Killin me.

Buzz off, I don't do it around you or any other non smoker so deal.

Fly2Scuba said:
There are a minority of pilots addicted to nicotine (chain smokers) and regarding that there are certain things that really peeve me regarding this behavior.

1. In my opinion a pilot smoking in uniform looks completely ridiculous (non-professional)
2. How the heck can one maintain a 1st degree medical for the duration. More then one has referred to them as cancer sticks. WTF, over?
3. A smoker's breath really stinks up the cockpit/simulator for the first 5 minutes (very confined space) giving me nausea and a headache for a short while.
4. Most importantly, I am constantly amazed at the disregard for non-smokers rooms by pilots and flight attendants alike which is why on this overnight I'm typing this thread in the first place.

To there credit, most have never asked about eating in the non-smoking section of a restaurant. If you do smoke please be more considerate to your coworkers. Where a patch or chew during duty time and remember you can replace one addictive behavior with another (suggestion: exercise guru).

I am quite sure you aren't a 'golden child' and more than likely have a bad habit or several. Why don't you tell us about some and we can then tell you what we don't like about them? I didn't think so!

So in the mean time until they (cigarettes) are banned completly, it's a free country so I'll do as I darn well please!

Fly2Scuba said:

"Their". "Wear". Sorry, as a smoker myself, improper use of the englush language realy boders me :)

I must admit, I find pilots who smoke a little bizarre. It's hard enough to keep a medical without cigarettes---at least for me it is.

Ages ago I worked in a paint factory (read: extremely flammable chemicals), there was a designated smoking area right outside of my work area---rain, sleet, snow, SUB-zero temps, every 30 mins the same crowd was out there in the elements smoking away. All I could think was this is behaviour of SERIOUS addicts.

Yeah, the whole smoking room in ATL filled with chain smokers and children is disturbing--perhaps they should post it with signs for those 18 and older only.

Of course I say this with a Newcastle in my hands......:D

The one benefit smoking has is that it envokes "Darwin's" principle:

The idiots that still smoke will eventually be weeded out though the various illnesses that smoking causes......thus hopefully cleaning the gene pool. :p

Latest resources

Back