• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Smoking Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is the right of every American to kill themselves in whatever manner they see fit. If they wanna smoke ... have at it. I don't care, as long as they're considerate of the smell and the butts. I smoke sometimes, but not regularly, and I always try to wash up and hit some chewing gum afterward, and I am very conscious of what I do with the left-overs (I field-strip them and throw the filter in the trash). You guys on the soapbox remind me of the do-gooders who gave us helmet laws.

Remember ...

There are lies, d@mn lies, and statistics. Live and let live, and quit whining about things that really aren't any of your business, fer Christ's sakes. :rolleyes:

Minh

Snakum said:
It is the right of every American to kill themselves in whatever manner they see fit.
That sounds great, but it's not exactly true.

First, there are laws that prohibit many manners of death.

Second, inasmuch as some behaviors cost society as a whole, society has a right to voice an objection. Off the top of my head I can see two ways that smoking costs society as a whole. First, the burden imposed on the government in dealing with the results of smoking is passed on to the taxpayer -- US. (I'm not happy with that arrangement, but that's another subject.) Second, the burden imposed on insurance underwriters is passed on to the policy holders that pay increased premiums or enjoy reduced benefits.

So, while it is legal for a non-minor to kill himself by smoking, it is not a right. As with any such issue, the will of the majority may be imposed on all through legislation that might restrict or prohibit smoking.

Snakum said:
If they wanna smoke ... have at it. I don't care, as long as they're considerate of the smell and the butts. I smoke sometimes, but not regularly, and I always try to wash up and hit some chewing gum afterward, and I am very conscious of what I do with the left-overs (I field-strip them and throw the filter in the trash).
I appreciate your consideration. I imagine that if all smokers were as considerate as you, this thread would not exist. Apparently, the originator of this thread was disgruntled not so much by the fact that some people smoke as he was that a particular smoker had been quite INconsiderate in leaving the hotel room in a stinky mess. (Reference the closing words of his fourth point.)

I think we'd all be happy if smokers were just considerate, as you claim to be, of non-smokers. (OK, well, MOST of us would be happy with that, some folks refuse to be happy.) That seems to be all the poster really wants.

Snakum said:
You guys on the soapbox remind me of the do-gooders who gave us helmet laws.
The arguments to "the right of every American to kill themselves in whatever manner they see fit" apply the same.

Bailout

Stupidest thing? well my friend, check the
exhaust system of deisel engined trucks
since about 95...converters, dude...and
jet fuel is just clean deisel fuel.

The referance to the furs goes with most
of these kind of arguements...you won't
let anyone infringe on your right to do
anything you want...since you are morally
superior (like ted kennedy's gun
in the bedside drawer while trying to keep
the rest of us from having one). Yet as
soon as something offends you you will
rant and rave and try to outlaw the
offending behavior.

You and yours will be leaders
of the next political party in this country.
An organization fit to lead these United
States of the Offended to death by
inane lawsuits...the Whiners!

PS. I quit smoking. Someone has to live
long enough to fight the new age bs!

You ever stop to think whats in most of your tap water? Would you have thought 15 years ago you could sell "clean" water in a bottle for $1.00? Why is a gallon of gas cheaper than a gallon of water?

Most of you are talking about "non-smokers" rights-what about the smokers rights?

You all eat organic foods? Think about all the chems. you are ingesting.

What's that "haze" layer I see over cities? Smog? What's this BS about driving newer cars(lower emissions?) whats "lower" mean-is that like being stabbed twice instead of three times?

Where does most of the de-icing fluid go?

I'm not worried about a little second hand smoke, I'm worried about shooting myself when I'm torn up and trying to clean my gun.

B

>>Stupidest thing? well my friend, check the
exhaust system of deisel engined trucks
since about 95...converters, dude...and
jet fuel is just clean deisel fuel.<<

Ok, that was a little harsh. But as an F.Y.I., its not the fuel in this case causing the CO, or NOx, its the combustion process of a reciprocating engine that causes this, not a Turbine. Long story, for another board.

I could care less if people smoke, as long as "MY" air isn't full of smoke. And when smokers complain about whining nonsmokers smelling the smoke, I lose it.

just curious, those of you so objectionable to pilots smoking, are you also that vehement against drinking in bars and restaurants? i don't mean in uniform, or anything. i'm more worried about, and in more danger from somebody having a few too many in the bar and plowing into me, than i am about second hand smoke and nasty breath.
in the cockpit, i'm just as offended by a bad cologne, or a nasty plate of chinese food, or tuna fish. but eventually, the smell dissipates.

lighten up, guys.

So you don't want to smell tobacco
smoke...okay! Clean air is a much,
much bigger issue.

But why the clean indoor air acts
like CA and NY? Let the consumers
choose a smoking or non-smoking
establishments...not make all rest-
raunts, taverns etc all nonsmoking
by government fiat...the individual
should have the right to choose!

And helmet laws...then governor of
WA Booth Gardener over-rode a vote
of the people repealing helmet laws
promising (among other things) lower
insurance rates...guess what, my
insurance went up...

there are four kinds of lies, you need
to include political promises.

Last edited:
I just want to say "thank you" to all pilots who smoke.
You are helping us move up the seniority list a little faster every year and opening more positions for new pilots. Keep up those medical leaves and early retirements.

Need a light?

Latest resources

Back