Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LegacyDriver said:
Hey, bro, nine weeks ago called. They want your post back. Just sayin'. :)
Yeah... Who wants to hear somebody bitch and moan about something that happened in the past.:rolleyes:

This is not to bash everyone at AT&T. Once asked why pilots were leaving, info came out as to some reasons. This is from people working in this flight department, tired of the conditions, and also looking for new positions. It is a fairly simple question, and it is being answered.

The Management team by all accounts is inept. A Director that is more interested in padding his bonus through "selective" hiring. A Chief Pilot that has turned over the day to day ops to an egotistical assistant chief pilot, who in turn is terrified of being shown up, by everyone, including the janitor. So GD rules the department through fear, and by holding onto every menial task, only to ignore the very checklists he designs. The other two assistant chief pilots appear to be inconsequential, as they do shots together at the local watering "hole", in complete defiance of the rules they are supposed to enforce. Otherwise, one is perpetually retiring, the other just nods yes to whatever GD says.

An atmosphere has been created in which being a pilot is secondary to secondary jobs which have become primary. These secondary or is it primary jobs, are so important as it pits everyone in the department against each other, in competition of coveted bonuses. Why coveted? Because the pay is incredibly low.

The acrobatic pilot, fed up with the shear stupidity of it all, performed perhaps his greatest maneuver, and Immelmanned out of GD's Three Ring Circus.

Lastly, the rules under which this department works, are simply unsafe and dangerous. This is how it was explained to me. The only rest given to a crew is the 10 hours immediately after a flight. If the crew sits for three days, no other rest is given. They are on call, 24/7 for the next 3 days. There are a couple of criteria about the exact time it starts, but it was confusing, and seems to be essentially ignored. No defined rest, no drinking, and lots of phone calls and emails at all times of the day and night. Most crews seem to ignore the rules or more aptly just don't know them.

Here's another example of the pompous a-hole GD taking care of his folks. All the aircraft are doing a big lift at an away locale, and the crews are working their tails off. Well except GD. He flew his wife out for a nice romantic week of sightseeing, hitting all the tourist spots. Took the rental car and left his crew stranded. The other working crews are flying max duty days, while he is on a mini vacation. Don't you wish he had your back?

Here's another example of the pompous a-hole GD taking care of his folks. All the aircraft are doing a big lift at an away locale, and the crews are working their tails off. Well except GD. He flew his wife out for a nice romantic week of sightseeing, hitting all the tourist spots. Took the rental car and left his crew stranded. The other working crews are flying max duty days, while he is on a mini vacation. Don't you wish he had your back?

I kind of wish this thread would die. I make no judgement about the guy in question... But... it is generally accepted that those who have worked their way to the top (by whatever means) get the perks associated with that position. This "guy" a ****************************** or not - bully for him and his wife. That said, if the story is precise, IMO, a better person would have rented their own transportation. Thus this thread will likely continue...

Really FI? D o u c h e gets asterisks?

I remember when I I lived in SA, USAA and SBC were the most coveted flying jobs... This thread is a sad fact of aviation...unless you're flying for USAA!

From a review of old posts on ***************, you guys (LD) have been bashing AT&T since 2008. Now c'mon, don't you think things may have changed?

LD is right. It has changed for the worse, that's why they have lost some long time, coveted crewmembers to places like Southwest. This would be unheard of in a normal dept. I don't always agree or like what LD posts (sorry LD) but he and turtle have been eerily accurate. I have even been contacted by AT&T asking who these guys are because they are distressed by this thread. Like many others, I would simply like this thread to go away. It is too painful to read, and many good people are being burned at the stake in an effort to get the word out to potential suitors. That's a sad thing, but the OP and many others on the board would like the straight story and they got it. If you don't want the answer don't ask the question.

I remember when I I lived in SA, USAA and SBC were the most coveted flying jobs... This thread is a sad fact of aviation...unless you're flying for USAA!

This is also true, but don't kid yourself I know guys at USAA as well and their rice bowl is tipping over. Also take HEB as a sad example. They used to require 5000 PIC to interview, and the recent hiring candidates had less than 2500 TT and a few weren't sure they even wanted to move to San Antonio!! The market there is in upheaval and moving in the wrong direction. So sad.

This is also true, but don't kid yourself I know guys at USAA as well and their rice bowl is tipping over. Also take HEB as a sad example. They used to require 5000 PIC to interview, and the recent hiring candidates had less than 2500 TT and a few weren't sure they even wanted to move to San Antonio!! The market there is in upheaval and moving in the wrong direction. So sad.

That's sad SA's a great city to live in...I had a friend who flew for Diamond Shamrock for many years. Seemed like it was a great job during the 90s. Even better when Valero offered him a big chunk of change to leave when they bought DS.

The market in SA is in upheaval? LOL Understatement of the year. (Edited out regarding two other departments there.) Hard to believe San Antonio is bigger than San Diego considering the lack of corporate gigs there, good or bad...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back