• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If its true AT&T is "distressed" by this thread, it only has management to blame. I am told the atmosphere is toxic. Management uses the old philosophy "the beatings will continue until moral improves". The only thing distressful is they don't know who to punish, when the reality sounds like they are their own largest problem.

A previous poster mentioned "perks for those who have worked their way to the top". Like the old Mel Brooks movie, "History of the World", "It's good to be the King". Except when your hardworking crews are criss crossing the U.S. while you wine and dine the misses, probably on the company dime.

The key word missing from this entire thread is Leadership. It appears to be missing from this flight department as well. We all know, corporate aviation is at the whim of the CEO's. That doesn't relinquish the CP from being a leader. Nor does it allow for pompous asst cp wannabes to just lie in wait until retirements allow your number to be called so you can ascend to their throne.

Hammer2 is right. A career in this department used to be a coveted position. Now it seems to be in free fall to nothing more than a place holder until hours are built, or a true career position becomes available.

Management is reactionary and a scorned. Leadership is assertive and respected. It's all too clear where AT&T has gone

I have even been contacted by AT&T asking who these guys are because they are distressed by this thread.

If this is true, then AT&T is nothing more than a job to build time or stay current till southwest calls or something better comes along. Sounds like they have too much time on their hands with too many fingers in the dike (the dikes associated with water :)).

Pardon my ignorance, but who is HEB that can't get pilots to work there?

They *can* get people. From what I am told, however, there is a push to get young, malleable pilots they can groom into a good fit for the culture. This appears to be preferable to hiring a higher time, experienced person that might question how things are done initially because of prior background.

Something like that.

Funny part of it is that this strategy is the same one SBC used long ago which resulted in the current "Four Horsemen of Incompetence".

I don't think HEB is hurting for qualified people by any means, just appears to be a situation where experience is a detriment.

Last edited:
They *can* get people. From what I am told, however, there is a push to get young, malleable pilots they can groom into a good fit for the culture. This appears to be preferable to hiring a higher time, experienced person that might question how things are done initially because of prior background.

Something like that.

Funny part of it is that this strategy is the same one SBC used long ago which resulted in the current "Four Horsemen of Incompetence".

I don't think HEB is hurting for qualified people by any means, just appears to be a situation where experience is a detriment.

I hear its a tough gig, but in today's market it's probably a good way to feed the family. We had some guys leave Flexjet to work for them, and word was they hated the how the schedule could change at the drop of a dime.

I hear its a tough gig, but in today's market it's probably a good way to feed the family. We had some guys leave Flexjet to work for them, and word was they hated the how the schedule could change at the drop of a dime.

Agreed but....I know one guy (confirmed by someone on the inside) who was turned down for being TOO experienced. Ridiculous by any measure, particularly since he is precisely the type every department claims to want.

For my money, I love that Hill Country by San Antone. A pilot could put up with a lot to live there. Would be worth it.

Latest resources

Back