Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Turtledriver

Anyone know why so many pilots are bailing out of AT&T flight department? I have heard it due to management or lack of management and some pretty crazy work rules.

I thought there were some folks that may have some insight. I had some friends that were canned when they made the move to Dallas. It was a pretty raw deal, considering they had just bought, not merged, bought Bell South and decided to keep those new pilots and let the folks who had actually been hired by AT&T go. They have scattered to the winds. Heard some politico took over the dictatorship, and has no clue what he is doing.

Just sad when a great deptartment ceases or is mismanaged into a heap.

Sadly, this happens a lot. Same exact thing happened when Alpha took over Massey Energy. Too many lawyers and managers think they know everything about running the flight department and everyone has to make sure their buddy's guys are taken care of in spite of the guys who have been there forever...

Another example of job security in the corporate world. A hiring boom is coming getting a seniority number at a major when the hiring starts is probalby the best job security in the aviation world. Although using the term "job security" in the aviation business is an Oxymoron

I thought there were some folks that may have some insight. I had some friends that were canned when they made the move to Dallas. It was a pretty raw deal, considering they had just bought, not merged, bought Bell South and decided to keep those new pilots and let the folks who had actually been hired by AT&T go. They have scattered to the winds. Heard some politico took over the dictatorship, and has no clue what he is doing.

Just sad when a great deptartment ceases or is mis
managed into a heap.

I can confirm that.

Also, many of the guys who made the move decided it was better to do other things, like Southwest, back to active reserve, etc. A couple of guys that quit were pretty sharp.

Meanwhile, nobody who got furloughed has been asked to come back despite what the Director of Ops said.

Those still there say it is nothing like the operation it was before the move...

I feel bad for all the guys who got the chop. Many are having a rough time.

Last edited:
Another example of job security in the corporate world. A hiring boom is coming getting a seniority number at a major when the hiring starts is probalby the best job security in the aviation world. Although using the term "job security" in the aviation business is an Oxymoron

But too many pilots also ignore the importance of saving money. Flying slower, tankering, or skipping the rental car once in awhile when a hotel shuttle will do. Wasting coin causes the bean counters to overreact and shut it down. ATT wasted money where it could have been saved in many departments. Big companies become like the government in that regard sometimes. But the whole spend it or we won't get it next year mentality is a common one to many people.

Freescale in Austin is closing January 1. Same deal (not saying their pilots waste money so don't assume that please). New boss thinks it too expensive so bye bye.

But too many pilots also ignore the importance of saving money. Flying slower, tankering, or skipping the rental car once in awhile when a hotel shuttle will do. Wasting coin causes the bean counters to overreact and shut it down. ATT wasted money where it could have been saved in many departments. Big companies become like the government in that regard sometimes. But the whole spend it or we won't get it next year mentality is a common one to many people.

Freescale in Austin is closing January 1. Same deal (not saying their pilots waste money so don't assume that please). New boss thinks it too expensive so bye bye.
I have heard the same thing "It is a cost of doing business" but when there are too many "costs of doing business" some companies stop doing business. Like the ole battle cry of the union organizer, "More days off and more pay" until you have all your days off with no pay.

I have heard the same thing "It is a cost of doing business" but when there are too many "costs of doing business" some companies stop doing business. Like the ole battle cry of the union organizer, "More days off and more pay" until you have all your days off with no pay.

Lol, yep.

Freescale isn't doing well overall any way, as I understand it, so it may not matter...

Latest resources

Back