Ram Air Freight Needs Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RichardRambone said:
How long were you guys typically with Ram before the regionals started knocking?

That depends on the state of the industry. I was there for two years because no one was hiring at the time (post 9/11). AEWannabe (Hey, SB) got lucky and got hired on in early 2003, but for a while there was no movement. Now, it looks like guys and gals are staying about six months.

Ram Air looks great on a resume. Period. When I got hired at XJT, I had two offers from other regionals and interviews lined up at three others. It gave me the option to pick the company I thought would serve me the best and I haven't regreted my choice.

Remember, minimums are just that. They may get you the interview but not the job. Recruiters look highly upon freight dogs and this was evident when I interviewed.

If you're a CFI and have the 135 mins, come to Ram and get some real flying experience. You'll appreciate it when you get to the 121 training program.

or come to airnet

or come to airnet -------------great pay, good mx and great fun

What does DO mean?

I have read a lot about Ram Air and I have thought about trying to work their to gain some experience when I get to that level. I a currently a commercial pilot with about 450 hours and dont have a multi yet.

Everyones saying the pay sux. Exactly what is the pay? and what are the hours you work? Can I have a full time job while I work there? I am a police officer full time. But I agree that real world instrument experience is golden and would love that opportunity.

DO is the director of operations, who runs the day-to-day show.

Pay has changed since I left. It used to be $60/day starting, but it's gone up some. If you go to their website, look under employment. There's a FAQ that explains it better.

You'll fly Mon through Fri, except banking holidays, so this is a full time job. In theory, pilots bid for a run every three months, and fly that run until the next bid. Depending on your seniority, you can fly a particular run for as long as you can hold it (I once held a run for something like 8 months). As a newhire, you'll be switching runs quiet a bit as more senior pilot leave and more desirable runs become available. Some runs have late starts and early finishes (they usually go senior), while some have early starts and late finishes (usually very junior). So the hours you work will depend on the run you get. If you want to make extra money, look for a job that lets you work weekends and, when seniority allows, mornings. Keep in mind that your job at RAF needs to come first. If you miss work because of a conflict at another job, you'll get the boot and you don't want that on your employment history.
As a cop, consider going part-time and working weekends if they let you.

First, though, you'll need to get your hours up and get a multi. They only hire if you have the Part 135 IFR mins, or if you're within 10 hours or so. A multi rating is also a must.

Overall a good place to work and cut your teeth getting some real flying expriences.

Any idea if the Orlando (ORL) run is junior or VERY senior. I know it's not a multi base. Also any idea if Craig (CRG) is junior or pretty senior. Also, is CRG a multi base?

Thanks.

CRG is a one plane base, a Baron at the moment. That guy moves on, and it goes up for bid, although I don't think he's going anywhere soon. As far as ORL, it depends. I pretty sure we have 2 or 3 runs out of there. People seem to rotate out now and then to a different base to get their twin time if they need it.

Runs come and go... The only constant is change. The best base now to be at is CRW in my opinion. I believe all C402 runs, 4 or 5 of them. With the top couple pretty decent and people rotating through pretty quick. Cheap places to live also.

Latest resources

Back