Ram Air Freight Needs Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scoot

If you have the minimum 135 requirements and need a good starting out job in aviation you should check it out. www.ramairfreight.com

We've just picked up new bases in Florida and are losing 5 pilots to the airlines. Tell Jerome Scoot sent ya.

scoot said:
If you have the minimum 135 requirements and need a good starting out job in aviation you should check it out. www.ramairfreight.com

We've just picked up new bases in Florida and are losing 5 pilots to the airlines. Tell Jerome Scoot sent ya.

Where in florida? Also, I heard there was a training contract soon to be implemented. Is that true?

~wheelsup

Yes. You get decent training, lots of IFR experience, PIC twin time, good maintenance, good runs, nice folks. And to balance that all out...the pay sux. Still, I recommend it. We're thinking about a six month training contract 'cause people are leaving so fast for the regionals. It feels like we're a proving ground for them. If you make it through our training, you'll probably have a good chance of getting a airline job sooner than later. Single pilot work through all kinds of wx builds basic pilot skills fast.
Good Luck!

Do they use "race city" as a call sign? Does anyone know if they are jumpseater friendly?

FXE, MCO, and more. We're called Ramex. Race city is very similar, but the're based in CLT, Ramex is based in RDU.

For some reason Southwest lets us jump seat. Very good of them cause we don't let others on our flights.Goodnight.

scoot said:
FXE, MCO, and more. We're called Ramex. Race city is very similar, but the're based in CLT, Ramex is based in RDU.

Boy am I getting old..........As a new hire at Ram, I was number 9 on the senority list! What do you guys have now 40 or 50? I did see one of the same old 58's a few months back.....at least some things remain the same! :)

How is Jon doing these days?

I used to see some of these guys when I had a run down south. Seemed to be pretty much like any other decent freight operator. I know that upgrades to a twin were pretty fast. While there pay is not great, I never heard complaints about the maintenance or the people there. I would have gone there myself if I wanted to live in the Carolinas.

Art V.

TS6M said:
Is this a good place to start out in 135 operations?

Speaking from my experience 10 years ago, Very good place for experience, best instrument training you will ever get.

Do not bother if you are weak on the gauges, or if you do not like weather. Went a week straight one time and never saw the ground above 300 feet....thats right, 28 hours flight time, (7 a night for 4 nights) and the highest ceiling was 300.

Don't know about the record now, but out of 14 pilots on the list back then, 12 made it to a major. The other two are at well paid corporate outfits.

The pay blows, the airplanes look like typical freighters, but you will never have more fun in an airplane. After a year or so running a Baron (seneca mostly now I think) around in ALL kinds of weather, you will never sweat another check ride or sim check.....you may screw up a memory item, but you will not screw up the stick and rudder part.

It is not for the timid, and yes you will scare yourself a time or two. Ram has a pretty clean and relativly safe history They have been running since 81 or so. Same D.O. for the last 10 years or so. (Unless something has changed in the last year)

There are many many 135 freighters stuffed in the ground around the east coast, So again I say that if you are weak under the hood, do not apply. It is unforgiving of mistakes. When I was there we would wash out about 2 or 3 of every 10 trainees.(I started with under 10 pilots there but it grew to 25 or so in the year and a half I was there) Some just cannot make the adjustment. Back then, the line guys flew with the newbies for a couple of days to see how they reacted to the flying. Do not know if they still do it that way.

Like any freight flying you will pick up some bad habits that you will need to break when moving on (Very fast taxi, fast approaches, etc..) but the sharpening of your instrument skills more than outweighs the bad habits.

Do not know about now, but back in the day of 2000 hours and 1000 multi to even apply for the regionals....the freight pilots were always called for the interviews first. In the words of my old CP at the regional during my interview, "We like freight pilots alot, all we have to do is teach them the airplane, not how to fly."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back