Ram Air Freight Needs Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
upndsky said:
Not bad. They'll haul around a ton of ice. Normally, the Seneca is a POS, but in icing, I would take it over a Baron or a C-402 any day.

At least if you lose on in the Baron, you have a chance to find some alternatives.

upndsky said:
Not bad. They'll haul around a ton of ice. Normally, the Seneca is a POS, but in icing, I would take it over a Baron or a C-402 any day.

they are also much quieter than the others too. much better for your AM listening pleasure.

The Senecas will usually do about 165 true, fuel burn is 25 gph. We have both short range and long range PA34s. Long range you'll get about 5 hrs. flying time, short range about 3.75 hours.

The Senecas are not too bad in icing, heated props, heated windshield panel, and boots on the wings and tail. I'd say anything over 2 inches of ice on your airplane you have to start thinking about an alternative. Good thing the icing days are over now so you don't have to worry too much.

With two thirds of the fleet twins, upgrades have been running between two weeks and three months. To upgrade the fastest you need to be willing to move and take an out based run.

A pay rate change has just been announced today. First year pay is now 22k reguardless of run assignment.

You have to be able to fly to commercial-instrument standards to make it through training. We have been seeing about a 40% wash out rate with new hires. Again, nothing special, just commercial-instrument standards.

What about most of the check flying going away? How are you dealing with that? What are you going to be hauling in a year or so?

I have about 600TT and 60 multi. Once I get my 135 times I will probably have around at least 150 multi. You guys think I should still apply to Ram Air? Im interested in working for them as it sounds like everyone has fun and it makes you a better pilot. However I know the pay sux but I think it could only add to my hours even if I only work there for like 6 months. I would go wherever twin time is available Im not picky. If you had 1200TT and around 150 multi what would you do?

That's exactly what I did in the summer of '02, with 1200/150 myself, but remember almost no regionals were hiring then. Even though several are currently hiring now, not too sure if 1200/150 will be all that competitive. If a regional is what you really want apply for 'em, but if you haven't received the call by then go to Ram and spend a few months. It's some of the most fun you'll ever have getting paid to fly. Don't get me wrong, I love the left seat of my Embraer, but I still miss the left seat of 'ole 707RA flying up the outer banks at, um, 1000 feet. (the pay's just better here; that was a lot more fun, though). Also had a great bunch of guys/gals to work with and pretty good mx for a check-hauler; lots of alumni at Chicken Taco, Coex, Mesa, Comair, etc.

Ram Air is a great place to work. I was in the Lance for 3 weeks before a run opened up. I've been living in Middle Georgia, which is less then great, but I love my run. I get 96 hours a month in the Seneca and the hours add up really fast. I recommend flying freight to almost anyone. It really teaches you a lot about yourself and about weather. The mx is great. No screwing around with mx issues. They are all resolved without question and done right! Hard to find at some Freight companies, so I understand. Keep working hard and come to Ram when you get the time!!

Latest resources

Back