Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Seat Bid BIG (Part2...since some [Moderator] moved it to Cargo)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How could scheduling improve the trips/schedules in ANC?? It is already an all international trip base? None of those guys want to fly to the lower 48 and 75% of their flying is to the Pacific Rim.

The company could easily make ANC more commutable though, that is the one thing that has gone downhill over the past couple years. And even though it an established base the company could also help pay for a relocation package for a couple dozen pilots. If you offered a relocation package with the same restricitions as SFS then guys would stick around longer up there too. It wouldn't have to be 100%...but lets say 50%..that would at least cushion the blow and get more guys up there.

I just looked at ANC Open Time and it is LOADED with easy RFO trips while LAX has nothing but crap O/B trips, explains why everyone is leaving LAX for MEM.

Last edited:
Tony C,

By making the MD-11 pay higher you aren't going to get senior guys at ANC. You are going to get senior guys flying the MD-10 lines from MEM-ATL (which they already have). Now you make international override, lets say for sake of arguement, $20 to $25 or even higher. Then all of a sudden being based in ANC is a 20% pay raise for a first officer (every trip out o ANC gets international override). You don't think ANC would become a little bit more senior then? With the mix of fleet type in the MD-11, I just don't see how you can differentiate pay between the MD-11 and DC-10. But I am just a line slug. What do I know.

How does upgrading work? I'm still assuming all us new guys will be going to the back of the Boeing, even with the interesting numbers of the PB. If after a few months I am senior(couldn't think of a better word) enough to bid F/O do I just raise my hand and it happens or do I have to wait for one of these big bids?

Also, what's RFO?

Thanks bretheren!

New FDX Guy said:
Also, what's RFO?

Thanks bretheren!

Boy, you are a pointy nose pilot (no offense, sorry)

RFO is Relief First Officer. On international trip over 8 hrs block you need one extra crewmember for proper rest during a long flight/duty day...over 12 hrs of block and you need two RFO's...Per the FAR's.

Just out of curiosity NEW FDX GUY what year do you plan on retiring?? I'm guessing about 2035?

Hope this helps, welcome aboard.

Last edited:
To upgrade you need to hold a training date from a standing bid. Once you're awarded a training date, then you can try to swap dates with someone else, or you can send an e-mail to drop it if you don't want to upgrade.
That's what Jack was talking about; bid what you want to fly and don't worry about the secondary stuff. You'll see some guys go into long calculus based prognostications about bidding a particular seat so they'll get passover pay or whatever and then some day finally end up in the seat they really want to be in all the while "getting over" on the system.
Just like the stock market, don't try to time it. You will never predict what 4300 other pilots will do or what they're thinking, especially during the practice bids. During the postal contract bid there was an ANC Captain that kept bidding 727 S/O in the two practice bids. A lot of pilots play games like that, then change their mind at 1459Z on bid closing day.
RFO - Relief Flight Officer. RFO is the third or fourth pilot put on a trip that is scheduled to block over 8 or 12 hours flight time. Also known as the "Food Beeatch", the RFO(s) has several critical duties that are absolutely essential to mission accomplishment on these long-haul international revenue trips. When two RFO's are assigned to a trip, teamwork and precise coordination of duties between the two RFO's are something that must be seen to be appreciated. . . . brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. . . .

Last edited:
PurpleTail said:
Boy, you are a pointy nose pilot (no offense, sorry)

None taken, my aircraft doesn't even have an ILS. I was deathly afraid that at some point during my interview they would say, "So, you're a single seat guy in an airplane that doesn't fly GPS or ILS approaches...we have no use for you."

2035, I'll turn 63 that year, so as long as they don't up it aging, yes. Nice guess, you must be one of those calculus guys klhoard was talking about.

Thanks guys

Most junior 727 captain

I got a private message requesting when the most junior guy holding left seat of the 727 on the practice bid was hired:

Dec 00!

Goose17

I really don't see what the big deal is with having a new guy going to the right seat of the MD11. There are other companies that hire into the right seat of the DC10 and MD11. The MD11 is not that hard to fly or learn and most of the guys coming aboard have glass experience anyway. Then again, they don't pay me to make those decisions.

NightFlyer

TonyC said:
Roger, Roger.

We call it Passover Pay, and there are a limited number of circumstances where it is paid. As long as pilot has listed a particular seat position on his Standing Bid preferences, if a pilot junior to him also bids that seat, is awarded that seat, is trained in that seat, and is activated in that seat, THEN the more senior pilot would receive Passover Pay. There is a limited number of circumstances where the Company may see that as advantageous.

For example, the senior pilot is currently in the 727 FO seat where the company is short. The junior pilot is currently in the DC-10 SO seat where the company is fat. They both bid and are awarded MD-11 FO. The company decides it is better to keep the 727 FO flying in that seat while they train the DC-10 SO. To compensate for the training out of seniority order, they would pay the 727 FO the MD-11 FO rate as soon as the DC-10 SO checked out as an MD-11 FO. According to the latest message from the SCP, they have paid Passover Pay as long as 18 months.

One stipulation if I may. The senior 727 FO will accrue passover pay once the DC-10 SO is checked out, and won't actually get paid the passover pay until he (the 727 FO) gets checked out in the new seat position. The reason for this is because if the 727 FO decides not to go to training (i.e. another bid comes out before the 727 FO goes to training and he decides to bid to something else), or if he doesn't make it through traingiing, then all the passover pay that he has accrued will vanish and not be paid. As you can see, when he does get paid the passover pay, it can make for a pretty big paycheck!

Why wouldn't somebody want ANC.If your from the northwest the commute shouldn't be to bad.Plus there all international if thats what you like.

Latest resources

Back