Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Seat Bid BIG (Part2...since some [Moderator] moved it to Cargo)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

USNFDX

Purple Member
It's Out.

165 Capts (155 Widebody)

140 F/Os (130 Widebody)

Net 20 Widebody AC increase !

278 NEWHIRES

Last edited:
WTF...Not sure which nuthead moved this thread to Cargo but there a lot of people out there considering PAx v Cargo and would find this info helpful under the "Majors" category.

Whole frickin HUGE! The training department is going to be pulling double duty for the next two years.

Posting 05-01
-------------
Official Posting of Crewmembers
Vacancy (V) or Excess (E)
Present
Number VAC. Approx. Seniority
of Crew Positions Type/ Training Number
Positions V/E DOM EQUIP SEAT Length Start Date High/Low
-------- --- --- ---- ---- ----- ----- ---- ----------
70 ........V ...MEM..Airbus CAP P/INDEF MAR 05.... 9 2086
6 ..........V ..ANC ..MD11 CAP P/INDEF APR 05 ...168 2148
6 ..........V ..LAX ..MD11 CAP P/INDEF APR 05 .....52 1931
73 ........V ..MEM ..MD11 CAP P/INDEF APR 05 .....1 2154
10 ........V ..MEM ..B727 CAP P/INDEF MAR 05 ....14 3272
50 ........V ..MEM ..Airbus F/O P/INDEF MAR 05..233 3851
10 ........V ..LAX ...MD11 F/O P/INDEF APR 05... 330 3771
70 ........V ..MEM ..MD11 F/O P/INDEF MAR 05...521 3919
10 ........V ..MEM ..B727 F/O P/INDEF APR 05.... 614 4135
50 ........V ..MEM ..B727 S/O P/INDEF MAR 05....261 4312

Also mentioned (but not exactly confirmed) 737 will replace the 727 in the spring '05.

Future Bids / Hiring
--------------------
We currently have authorization for 278 new hires with the first class of
12 starting on January 17. The FY06 business plan is currently in process
and, as the plan unfolds and decisions firm up, we will continue to
reassess our staffing needs. A decision on the B727 replacement
aircraft, most likely the B737, is expected in the spring of 2005.
Accordingly, we anticipate another bid in the summer or fall of calendar

No kiddin!

Holy passover pay Batman!

I had heard about the widebody captain numbers...had no idea about all the F/O slots we needed too (on top of the secondaries). With all the secondary vacancies opening up...I don't think I'll have a problem pushing my Airbus training date back to the end of 05...

Assuming someone will be willing to swap...

Fly Safe!
FastCargo

Last edited:
PurpleTail said:
WTF...Not sure which nuthead moved this thread to Cargo but there a lot of people out there considering PAx v Cargo and would find this info helpful under the "Majors" category.

Yeah, some folks find it difficult to put FedEx in the correct pigeon hole. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't belong in either the Majors section OR the Cargo section, but since there is no section for GLOBAL AIRLINES, we're left with what we have.

:)

Most of the discussions in the Cargo section have nothing to do with airlines such as FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. Majors is the more appropriate home. (If it's any consolation, AOL has the same problem.)

Big Yes....MOAB...not quite

Like the old bull and the young bull...its all relative.

as TonyC can attest...the Mother of all Bids came in 01-01. That was a posting for 243 WB Captains, 88 727 Captains..244 WB F/O, 76 727 F/Os. In that bid, the caboose, still in new-hire training received an Airbus F/O secondary vacancy.

But as Kevin Costner said to a little boy in a Casper mask who was concerned about the size of his manhood relative to grown men (in a movie)...."That's mighty respectable for a man of your age."

A secondary vacancy is the position created when a crewmember from one seat bids to another seat. For example, a 727 F/O decides to bid Airbus F/O; that would create a secondary vacancy in the 727 F/O slot which would became available to someone else. As you can see, the numbers listed above become much larger when the secondaries are considered. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I would guess every primary slot listed above would create about 3 or more secondaries as guys and gals change seats. Hope that answers your question.

GeorgeWBush said:
What is a secondary vacancy?

A secondary vacancy is one that occurs as a result of someone moving to fill a primary vacancy. If 50 Airbus First Officers are awarded Airbus Captain slots, that will leave 50 Secondary vacancies in the Airbus FO seat in addition to the published 50 Primary vacancies.

This posting says "We plan on not filling some secondary vacancies in the DC10 on this posting." That's a fancy way of saying they may not back-fill the slots left open by DC-10 folks bidding to other airplanes/seats.

For those of you that think this is not the MOAB....I believe this is the first of many to come that are approx. the same size (plus the 73 bid)....

Not the MOAB but a lot og GBU bids!!
Los1

Wow! That's great news about hiring... A few quick questions about the MD-10. How does it compare to the MD-11 in terms of flight performance and flight deck layout, etc.? How many MD-10s do you have now and in the future (will all DC-10s be converted)? For those who fly both, do you prefer one over the other (do their destinations vary - do MD-10s only fly domestic)?

Latest resources

Back