Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Seat Bid BIG (Part2...since some [Moderator] moved it to Cargo)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sandman2122 said:
From Mr. Zog:

What?! I hope you meant something different because ANY seat award must be based on seniority, otherwise you can kiss your career goodby as the company would say, furlough out of seniority........

In Mr.Zog's defense I believe (I could be wrong) he was refering to a certain amount of secondaries the company would filled on the -11 in ANC due to the relatively junior seniority situation...at least thats how I understood him. Everyone knows that the seniority system must be honored.

Last edited:
Until you become old and bitter like the rest of us. . .
LOL, just kidding guys!! I'm LIVING the dream!!

Let me confide in you guys (sharing circle, everyone).

My wife and I are contemplating moving to PANC. We got small kids, she doesn't work, and I've been commuting for 10 years. We want to try living where I work for once, and MEM just doesn't appeal to us that much.

Anybody here done it? If so, what do you think? for the sake of argument assume I am junior to all of you.....

By the way my seniority % was exactly the same between MEM and ANC on the practice awards.

TonyC said:
That's what the contract used to say, and that's what's still posted on the website. Apply the POPA LOA and you'll see some differences. It's no longer paid lumps sum. You might have to pay it back, but you get paid monthly.

Thanks for the clarifiication. You are right, I was looking at the contract. Where is the POPA LOA listed?

PurpleTail said:
Good point Active_Herk, I do keep an eye on disputed pairings but usually only the ones in LA (which is hardly ever).

Most of the ANC disputed pairings are due to the fact to NGO is a new city being serviced and that it is two legs into Asia. I hate to say it but the second leg (NRT-NGO 1:30) isn't bad, the trips actually look pretty easy because they have such long layovers. I've seen some domestic MEM trips that look worse.

I agree that it doesn't look too bad, but I think the intent of the dispute is that we shouldn't have RFOs on multi-leg trips period (unless it is due to a technical stop). By allowing this pairing, we could be telling the company that multi-leg RFO pairings are ok, which I feel was never the intent of an RFO.

Besides that, imagine a scenario where the crew takes off late from ANC, gets stronger than expected headwinds enroute to NRT, has a maintenance problem on the ground in NRT further delaying them, and then takes off to weather at mins at NGO, knowing no one is getting any rest from the top of descent into NRT until landing at NGO. Suddenly that pairing doesn't look as easy.

Just my take on things, it could be wrong.

Last edited:
Huck said:
Let me confide in you guys (sharing circle, everyone).

My wife and I are contemplating moving to PANC. We got small kids, she doesn't work, and I've been commuting for 10 years. We want to try living where I work for once, and MEM just doesn't appeal to us that much.

Anybody here done it? If so, what do you think? for the sake of argument assume I am junior to all of you.....

By the way my seniority % was exactly the same between MEM and ANC on the practice awards.

I woulda moved but health issues in the extended family changed the plan - - I commuted.

It gets dark, and it stays dark. A lot of people can't handle that. Take the wife and visit in the winter - - it'll be money well spent.

The people are great, the flying is great, it's a 3-hour callout.

None of that matters unless your wife is happy. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

You might need to plan on a trip or two to the lower 48 every year to visit loved ones.

It's on my list. :)

active_herk said:
Thanks for the clarifiication. You are right, I was looking at the contract. Where is the POPA LOA listed?

I have a copy, but I don't know where it's currently available on the web. It's not on the company site, and the last time I looked it wasn't on ALPA's either. I talked to the folks in Contract Admin and encouraged them to post it, but I haven't seen if they took the advice.

It seems to me that the updated sections should be posted in the appropriate places, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Sandman,

What I meant is that Seniority should not be an issue on whether or not the company decides to fill a vacancy awarded on the bid. For example, just because a guy is a new hire and could hold a secondary vacancy on this bid for the MD-11, the company should not take into account the fact that he is junior in deciding whether or not to fill the vacancy. I am not an idiot. Of course, bidding is based on seniority. But it should not be the determining factor on whether or not to fill vacancies on a bid.

Herk,

The RFO is not meant to augment mutliple flights in which the total time exceeds 8+00 hours. We are the only people in the industry, that I am aware of, that use RFOs in this manner. When I was in ANC, a similar disputed pairing was ANC-NRT-ICN. I hope we aren't still doing that one.

Sorry Herk,

You answered the question. I only read the part shaded in blue. Just reaffirming what you said.

Latest resources

Back