UAL to stop furloughing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FOUND THIS LITTLE SNIP in the SSC Minutes from LAXFO:

UAL will be short of pilots this Summer!

Furloughs/Recalls

Furloughs completed on Jan 8, 2004. The SSC analysis of manpower needs suggests that we will be short of required pilots to meet summer schedules. Refer to Director Roichek’s “Crystal Ball” and you can see the amount of training required to meet flying requirements. Based on these facts, I would hope to see recalls after Chap 11 exit, but the Company says, “no” at this time.

Having a positive outlook is certainly more fun than the doom and gloom we see all too often on these boards. Like my 8 year told me, it takes 15 muscles to smile and 42 to frown ??? Something like that.

1,200 from the bottom, 2000 from the bottom ? Both big numbers however it was not all that long ago we saw 1000+ newhires a year, I was one of them and now I am sitting it out watching from the sidelines too. Big airline, big numbers. Hope we don't get rid of too many narrow guage RJ replacements ! Pretty soon the 737-300 will just be another RJ, what do you mean it only seats 120 ??? Oh but I digress. The retirement issue is a big one however I am sure, and I mean sure, that there will be a solution with this because we have come way too far now to have this be the stumper. How many naysayers were betting there would not even need to be a discussion about exiting chapter 11 let alone when and how ? Not out of the woods just yet however there is and axe in one hand and a bigass chainsaw in the other ! Glenn is going to pull this one off and be the airline industry's new model CEO. Again, only my prediction. OK, maybe a little too cheery but hey, tis the season to be jolly !

Lets see, with less than 20 years to go to retirement if I were recalled today ? You bet, 5 years down the road I am not so sure. Then again that is what I said before I was offered a class date to begin with ! We have all just witnessed history in the making within the airline industry, nothing like it in the past, who knows about the future. Jets for terrorists ? Been there done that we should all hope. I don't think Grandma in seat 22C would let Mohammed just walk up and take things over again. Gross missuse of airline profits ? Shame on you once, shame on me twice. Economic downturn?, furloughs to be more common is my guess unfortunately. Scope ? What is that ? Different day, different world, different career. Hope to get back soon !

Sounds like we are in the same boat...seniority-wise that is. Keep your chin up and here's to keeping our flying where it belongs.

Extra300s-

Where have you seen the 900 pilot number for retirements?

That is almost triple the number that I was shown when I was hired back in '00.

Has the company sweetened the deal for pilots to retire early?

Nine hundred retirements in one year would be great, but I would like some solid evidence before I can believe that number. Please provide us with that information.

GP

Retirements and increase in flying

Here are the retirement numbers:
2004 227
2005 287
2006 304
2007 298
2008 257
2009 239
2010 211

Actual body needs are historically 20% higher with medicals and early retirements.

More interesting is the announcement of a 5% increase in block hours in 2004. Currently 150,000 block hours, that would be an increase of 750 which equals around 350 more pilots. Add 350 to 270 for the retirements and you come out with what the MIA LSC is saying around a 600 pilot shortfall for 2004.

Fingers crossed!

I got the 900 number off of a thread on the ALPA-MEC website it just says that number will be age 60 guys, I wonder if it already inlcuded early outs? I don't know.

Where do you all want to have a RECALL party when the last guy is recalled?

Happy Torque rolls!

Re: Retirements and increase in flying

UALU30 said:
Here are the retirement numbers:
2004 227
2005 287
2006 304
2007 298
2008 257
2009 239
2010 211

Actual body needs are historically 20% higher with medicals and early retirements.

More interesting is the announcement of a 5% increase in block hours in 2004. Currently 150,000 block hours, that would be an increase of 750 which equals around 350 more pilots. Add 350 to 270 for the retirements and you come out with what the MIA LSC is saying around a 600 pilot shortfall for 2004.

Fingers crossed!

UALU30,
I hand computed all age 60s through 2010 on the latest seniority list (Jul 22 2003) and with early retirements, 2004/5 is quite a bit smaller. I'm out of town right now, but will post them when I get a chance.
Off the top of my head, age 60s for the rest of 2003 was 60 and 2004 was around 120.
I'm counting on the block hour growth to get us back on property. I'll be ~1500 from recall after the January furloughs and expect to be back on property anywhere from 2006 to 2009. There are too many factors that effect recall to come up with anything closer than a WAG.

Andy, those are the same numbers I hear - about 180 for the next 18 months to retire. For the furloughed guys though, have you thought about this -- lets say you have an even 500 numbers above you getting back. How many of that 500 do you think are actually coming back? How many have new active duty committments and can't come back if they wanted to? How many line pilots are gong to get tired of the new pay/commute/work rules and move on? I don't know the answer to any of these questins bet I bet it will be a factor.

Skykid, I'm still out of town, so I don't have the retirement numbers. However, I agree that there will be more than a few who are on military orders or locked into a two year committment at their current employer. And yes, there will be those that burn out from the current schedule at UAL.
I expect most to come back; I don't think that there will be many who take a pass on returning to UAL.
I also expect to see decent mainline growth after UAL comes out of chap 11; that will drive recalls more than anything else.

From what I know, we're allowed 6 years military leave from UAL. That 6 years doesn't begin to accrue until you get recalled from furlough and then your status changes from furloughed to mil leave. This is allowing some to return to AD to pick up a retirement and then return to their line number at UAL.

I've committed to USAF until 2008 for now and would have to do a few more than that for AD retirement. I'm going to try and set a company record for being a half-winger, 10 years plus. Wonder what the longest probation period a UAL pilot ever endured was?

Latest resources

Back