UAL to stop furloughing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C5 Guy

Good news, I think---But what the hell do I know about this industry, I'm just a furloughed bubba.

As of today, the Company has announced that all furloughs will stop after the Jan. 8 furloughs. The 100 pilots who will be furloughed on January 8 will be the last furloughs.

Bottom number for pilots after the January furloughs will be 7256.

The company has rerun the numbers of pilots it will need and it found it will not need to furlough through April 2004.

**No recalls planned for 2004.

The senior December furloughee had a hire date of 11/9/98.

I would imagine that the January furloughs would go back to somewhere in 10/98.

This would bring the grand total of pilot furloughs at UA to 2,172.

If UA makes it, I would bet you'll see a sizable percentage who won't go back. Have you seen their pay rates? Current senior 747/777 driver will make $202/hr. I think the 737/A320 rates top out at $146/hr. Plus the quality of life issues have deteriorated considerably.

Maybe something will change after exiting bankruptcy. Hmm....for a split second I actually believed in that statement!

Cheers!

GP

Last edited:
C5 Guy!

Sb,

I sent you a PM.

On another note. As far as recalls go, I'm with C5 Guy... 10/30/01 furlough date. Going back? Ha!
:rolleyes:

I've got you all beat. 10-15-01 furlough date. I gave up on United shortly after that because I knew there would be thousands of pilots placed on top of me on the furlough list not hundreds like many thought. There were too many things coming together to make this the perfect storm. The final straw in the hat was bankruptcy.

I am glad for the people that are going to keep thier jobs and for those that will be recalled next year, but as far as those who have been furloughed for over two years now it is still a bleak prospect waiting to be recalled if that is your only option right now.

Furloughed

Last edited:
Hired 3/20/00

Furloughed 1/15/03

Not expecting a recall until 2010. If it comes early I'd be surprised.

I'm basing that estimate on the assumption that there won't be any recalls until '05. Once recalls start I still would have about 1200 senior to me to get called back. I think that we may see about 200 recalls per year at best. When you factor in all the early retirements and their current "no growth" strategy it looks bleak for those of us aged 40 or more.

The only way I see that a recall would come sooner is if the company were to grow.

Time for me to move on.

GP

A good friend of mine (my best man) was a 11/99 hire on the DEN 727 SO. He has an AF reserve C17 commitment in SEA to keep him busy (along with twin girls).

He expects to never wear his UAL uniform again, except at Halloween.

Your best man buddy (the 11/99 hire) would have flown something else with UAL if he was a 727 S/O, seeing as we retired the fleet in Oct 2001.

He is not that far from recall.

It aint that hopeless.....

He was on the B727 until they were retired, then he didnt fly for six months or so (drawing his guarantee), until he was trained on the 300, then flew DEN 300 F/O until his furlough.

Latest resources

Back