• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Hiring Boom?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah I read that article in todays USA Today, sounds too me like the same BS that I've been hearing for the last 15 years from flight schools. That article was pretty bias since their only sources where Embry Riddle and Boeing, both who have intrest in projecting nice big figures for the future of aviation. When the wages and perks go up that's when we'll know we have a shortage.

It is going to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]happen and it is going to happen with a boom. For every major pilot hired it creates 5-6 pilot jobs, one leaves a Atlas to go to Delta, one now leaves Com-Air to go to Atlas, and another leaves Ameristar to go to Com-Air, and then a guy leaves the 135 UPS nightly freight run to go to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ameristar[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and finally Joe CFI goes to 135 UPS feeder, that is a bunch of pilot jobs. We have lost 12 pilots in 6 months, that is a 40% annual turnover rate, we have not seen that in years
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

It is going to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]happen and it is going to happen with a boom. For every major pilot hired it creates 5-6 pilot jobs, one leaves a Atlas to go to Delta, one now leaves Com-Air to go to Atlas, and another leaves Ameristar to go to Com-Air, and then a guy leaves the 135 UPS nightly freight run to go to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ameristar[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and finally Joe CFI goes to 135 UPS feeder, that is a bunch of pilot jobs. We have lost 12 pilots in 6 months, that is a 40% annual turnover rate, we have not seen that in years
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Sorry...but it looks like only 2 jobs were created. The job at the major and the job @ Joe CFI's FBO. The rest is just shuffling people around who start over at the lowest payscale with or without benefits.

Last edited:
Sorry...but it looks like only 2 jobs were created. The job at the major and the job @ Joe CFI's FBO. The rest is just shuffling people around who start over at the lowest payscale with or without benefits.
but five jobs were created by the openings, combine this with growth and you have an unbelievible number of jobs, available. I look at 67, 77, 87, 97, and 2007 coming back

but five jobs were created by the openings, combine this with growth and you have an unbelievible number of jobs, available. I look at 67, 77, 87, 97, and 2007 coming back

I wouldn't say technically ANY of those jobs were "created" unless the major airline pilot job came about from growth. It allows some upward mobility and some shuffling. However, what happens if the job at Delta is filled by someone from Comair, and the guy from "Joe's CFI" fills the job at Comair? Kinda takes a lot of the others out of the fold. Even worse, what if Comair decides to NOT fill the vacant opening because their flight schedule is being reduced?

I'll believe a hiring boom the same time I believe anything in aviation: when I see it actually happening.

What a crock!!! Tell that to the Astar guys or the folks over at American or United. Pilots that have been out of work for years. Just another ploy by another flight school.

What a crock!!! Tell that to the Astar guys or the folks over at American or United. Pilots that have been out of work for years. Just another ploy by another flight school.
and pilots were out of work for years in the early 80's, but by 1988 they were so desparate that they started interviewing pilots who were past their 40th birthday. It going to happen again except in Spades. Just watch.

the company I work for has lost 50% of its pilots in the last year to other airlines that are hiring and pay better. I too hope this continues and maybe we can make something out of it in regards to improving pay and benefits, but I doubt it as all it will do is flood the profession with eager newbies that will want to pay for the right to work to get ahead.

Latest resources

Back