• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good thing maybe, but this part scares me...any lawyer types out there can explain this one, since my union hasn't

Effective January 1, 2011, and each January 1​
st thereafter, pilot monthly medical/dental
insurance contribution rates may be subject to an annual increase equal to the lesser of:

1) the company-projected increase in the cost of the plan, and 2) seven percent (7%).

Your deductible and co-pays and max out of pocket are part of your CBA.

That is a good thing. Not maybe but 100% a good thing.

Without that your rates could go up 7% and your deductible could double while co-pays go up 50%.

Or your airline could terminate the entire plan and go with a high deductible medical plan.

Last edited:
Our previous CBA locked in all health care costs, including copays and deductibles, they could not be raised period, now this CBA allows them to raise it, not good!

absolutely NO way will I vote for this thing.....Still 25 below jblu and trs.....nice try....the signing bonus is a joke....they made money off my back with almost 4 years of bad faith bargaining......A yes vote let's them and everyone else know they won......

If you plan on voting yes, don't complain to me when this place grows and goes public and you see how your peers are paid....They are even spinning the reserve section....there will be immediate furloughs and downgrades because of the changes. If your in the bottom 20 percent, plan on having some time off. I thought the whole reason for this strike was for pay parity...we did not get.....

Our previous CBA locked in all health care costs, including copays and deductibles, they could not be raised period, now this CBA allows them to raise it, not good!

As I recall, that's not true. The previous CBA was as this one is, except the limit was at 10%. Then the company tried to increase costs of insurance plus increase cost sharing. The union called them on it and won. That's why generic co-pays went from $10 to $11, why office visits went from $15 to $16 and then to $17. That's why the deductible went from $250 to $275, etc.

This is the same as the current contract, except the limit is reduced to 7%. Plus the provisions of health care reform will kick in as the plan is no longer grandfathered--meaning no cost sharing on preventative care, limits on annual and lifetime maximums, etc.

As I recall, that's not true. The previous CBA was as this one is, except the limit was at 10%. Then the company tried to increase costs of insurance plus increase cost sharing. The union called them on it and won. That's why generic co-pays went from $10 to $11, why office visits went from $15 to $16 and then to $17. That's why the deductible went from $250 to $275, etc.

This is the same as the current contract, except the limit is reduced to 7%. Plus the provisions of health care reform will kick in as the plan is no longer grandfathered--meaning no cost sharing on preventative care, limits on annual and lifetime maximums, etc.

That's great news, they can only increase the cost by 7% a year.

You conveniently forgot to mention that the initial increase is as much as 80% for some of us.

This TA is cost neutral. After all of the political grandstanding, our union tucked their tail and ran like whipped dogs.

Vote NO

PS. POS II Plan B total out of pocket limits were increased by like 1000%. the devil's in the details.

I'm curious. Did the MEC release to it's members the ' return to work rules ' they negotiated with the company?

My thought is the MEC made some deal with the company to force you guys to keep working as long as the NC keeps talking with the company, in the event this most current TA gets voted down.

I'm not seeing what this strike accomplished at this point, and if the MEC has the power to force it's members back to work....where does this go?

That's great news, they can only increase the cost by 7% a year.

You conveniently forgot to mention that the initial increase is as much as 80% for some of us.

This TA is cost neutral. After all of the political grandstanding, our union tucked their tail and ran like whipped dogs.

Vote NO

PS. POS II Plan B total out of pocket limits were increased by like 1000%. the devil's in the details.

I didn't conveniently forget to mention anything; I was responding to the claim that the deductibles and co-pays could increase beyond 7%. If you read the 2000+ page health care reform law and you will see that, as a non-grandfathered plan, the out of pocket annual and lifetime limits will be subject to the terms of the law. It doesn't matter what's in the contract. CBA's signed after 3/23/2010 have to follow the schedule of provisions in the law. The timetable is later for grandfathered plans. Since this one isn't, the timetable begins to take effect in 2010.

You also need to compare and contrast benefit packages among the carriers with whom compensation parity is desired.

Didn't Comair have the deep pockets of daddy Delta supporting them for 89 days as they were bleeding red ink? Get realistic...the goal is to have a job to come back to...a better job than the one we walked off.
The airline did, yes.
What about these deep pockets of ALPA we hear all about? They have the resources right? They "trained" your MEC leaders how to negotiate, didn't they?

Didn't ALPA reach out to the other ALPA carriers for money for you guys while you were on strike? It might help if you stayed on strike for longer than a week, can't really get a pilot group to vote on something like overnight.
Again, ALPA failed you and will take their 2% every month just to remind you.

I'm not seeing what this strike accomplished at this point, and if the MEC has the power to force it's members back to work....where does this go?

Photo Op for their magazine to cover up the Tim Martins blunder. Air time on the news....other than that, not much.
For the guys who think this is good and will vote YES, I have no idea how you live with yourself. If I were your self-conscious, I'd choke you while you slept.

Latest resources

Back