• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest evaluates -800's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well this would sure fire up the "SWA is buying us rumor" again over here if word got out about this...

-

Hey Bill,

Just a couple of clarifications to your post. No RJ codeshare is correct but it's actually a domestic codeshare restriction. If Gary Kelly wants any other airplane in the USofA flying our customers it will be owned and flown by SWA and SWAPA pilots.

I got my panties in a wad over the lance program because those guys had the rules to the game changed in mid-stream and they got screwed. Trust me, I would welcome more actual captain seats but you have no idea of the amazing flexibility that program offers us.

Gup

Gup,

You are the realist of your group and you have debated pretty good stuff on here, but come on....."amazing flexibility" has a price, and it's paid by the whole Pilot group.

The whole reason we opened to codeshare and let RJ's out of the barn was to compete with the upstart SWA and it's amazing flexibility and low wages (Again, at the time.....). It's easily our fault, but not accepting the partial blame is keeping your head in the sand. Sure, the airlines aren't profitable, but I'll bet our retirement payouts are more than your salaries (not a knock, just the truth) we have to clear hundreds of millions just to cover that nut......but thats a story for another thread.

Sorry to interrupt the Bill bashing.....

Is that why you released scope in 2006, bill? To compete w/ Virgin?

Hate to lay out capitalism- but that's one of it's defining characteristics- you had economies of scale that SWA didn't have back then-that's why Spirit didn't just now get Delta+1- if you bought into that line and sold out rj's that's your own dumb fault

company's are small- pay isn't as good-
company's get bigger- pay gets bigger-
that isn't new-
southwest won market share by being run better-

Is that why you released scope in 2006, bill? To compete w/ Virgin?

Hate to lay out capitalism- but that's one of it's defining characteristics- you had economies of scale that SWA didn't have back then-that's why Spirit didn't just now get Delta+1- if you bought into that line and sold out rj's that's your own dumb fault

company's are small- pay isn't as good-
company's get bigger- pay gets bigger-
that isn't new-
southwest won market share by being run better-

Ok Wave....

I'll bite......So the Bankruptcy judge gets told by my management that I'm not as productive as you guys are....(Trust me, it's in the transcripts) and I in turn "had" to get my productivity up and my pay down. It wasn't my choice.

You are the "LCC" model like it or not. Before your time there, ask around and see if they got paid for going into holding.....the answer being no.

You can't say it's just management......more like timing. No international presence, less cities, opportunistic plane purchases and hedging. All swung to your favor. It's not that your management was that good, it's just that the rest were soooo bad.

BTW, for the record, your management rocks in their treatment of the employees, I can never argue that.

So capitalism means Delta HAS to give up slots and gates and other government agancies can cook up "incentives" to lure the LUV? Not in my economy pal....

I'll let the older generation answer that-

but I do know that southwest had close to the same pay as we do now when delta went into bankruptcy- and had sold out rjs long before that-

Your confusing "bk judge" with dalpa mec

as for the capitalism part- our history is littered with the big boys trying to shut us out politically- so I don't know what world you live in- but politics always effects business- whether you or I like I or not

Yeah- but there are choices in capitalism- and integrity.

Dalpa has shown they value their own short term gains more than the long term viability of the career-

how dumb do you have to be to not just admit that you screwed up releasing scope ever-and definitely did in '06?

Just admit it and move on trying to correct it-

We still compete in a seniority based union driven form of capitalism - southwest's pay wasn't great until they got big- that's a lot different than disenfranchising 1000's of junior pilots- outsourcing their jobs while furloughing so that those still left on the property won't have to take as big a hit in bankruptcy-

But it's always easier to let someone else suffer isn't it?

Latest resources

Back