Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

redflyer65

Union openers have already been sent out. Decision to be made by Dec. 1

The trans-continental flights are jam packed. Looking at a 175 config. 38 more seats would be some big revenue.

Think they've been evaluating them for some time now. Now the question is will they be paid at the same rate, or not. Something that will be very important if a smaller a/c is brought on property at some point.

Now the question is will they be paid at the same rate, or not. Something that will be very important if a smaller a/c is brought on property at some point.

I think the UPS model works. One pay scale for all types driven by seat and longevity. MUCH easier to manage for everybody involved. And if a smaller type ever did appear, you don't have to worry about taking a pay cut for doing the same job. Because you know if we get paid more to fly -800/-900's, we will be expected to get paid LESS to fly the C-100/300. (Example only.)

Fire when ready.

Just my opinion...Pay regardng the -800 should be the same as the -700. Smaller airplanes on the other hand would not be sustainable at current rates. You would basically be subsidizing a smaller fleet with the 737 fleet Maybe that still makes good economic sense in the grand scheme of things - I don't know- but if SWAPA digs it's heals in regarding smaller A/C pay, I doubt you'd ever see a smaller A/C at SWA. Maybe that's a good thing as well-

Just my opinion...Pay regardng the -800 should be the same as the -700. Smaller airplanes on the other hand would not be sustainable at current rates. You would basically be subsidizing a smaller fleet with the 737 fleet Maybe that still makes good economic sense in the grand scheme of things - I don't know- but if SWAPA digs it's heals in regarding smaller A/C pay, I doubt you'd ever see a smaller A/C at SWA. Maybe that's a good thing as well-

So what you're saying is, negotiate the rates for the 300/500/700 higher to reflect the 800 coming on the property? You're not implying the company get a free-for-all with bigger equipment right?

Because you know if we get paid more to fly -800/-900's, we will be expected to get paid LESS to fly the C-100/300. (Example only.)

On the other hand, if you only have one pay scale, I suspect you will forever limit the size of the aircraft your company operates. SWA may be happy to pay the same for an 800/900. The business case supports it. But a business case built around paying a crew the same for a C-100 will not be the same.

I doubt very much you will ever see anything smaller than a 757 at UPS. Nor will the UPS pilots have an argument for more pay if the company opts to buy the A380 at some point.

I would favor a system similar to CAL. Essentially small, medium and large pay scales. I know here at Delta there is no reason not to pay the 88, 737, 320, and DC9 the same. I have seen guys moving from plane to plane chasing a couple of dollars an hour.

I would like to see one scale for the narrowbodies, one for the medium aircraft (757/767) and one for the big boys (330,764,777,747). That way you don't totally decouple aircraft size from pay, but you do even out the scale some and cut down on training costs.

Latest resources

Back