• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest evaluates -800's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You sound like management. Sure the pure numbers would support a SLIGHT cost advantage for Republic when going head to head.....a hundred or so bucks an hour.....if SWA is worried about that small advantage, then you should pull out (rhetorical and sarcastic).

Damn you caught me. Hi my name is Gary..

Actually I just like to try to look at all perspectives. That whole "Max pay to the last day" BS really gets to me. I think as pilots one has to realize that there has to be some chance of having the route be self-sustaining. IF RJ's were ever looked at, and the C100 is an RJ as far as I'm concerned, SWA would simply pass on the opportunity if crew cost were deemed to high. It's not my place to try to figure out whats too high. That could possibly be a lot of new hires that will still float in the pool. Again maybe keeping the fleet pure is better than trying to tackle the whole RJ problem in the first place. I'd rather see SWAPA tackle the 787 rates.

Was at a meeting recently and GK said highly unlikely to look at smaller. Said much more likely to go larger rather smaller. I would agree with that as well. Not gonna happen.

Was at a meeting recently and GK said highly unlikely to look at smaller. Said much more likely to go larger rather smaller. I would agree with that as well. Not gonna happen.

What I see is us negotiate a same pay then they will request the same when the 787 comes.

I'd rather see SWAPA tackle the 787 rates.

This is the funniest thing I have seen on FI in months!!

Can they configure the cockpit with switches close to a 737 overhead?

This is the funniest thing I have seen on FI in months!!

Can they configure the cockpit with switches close to a 737 overhead?

No but what you will see is us merge with AL. Dominate the west coast and HI. All along as jet Blue takes over the east coast/caribe and merge with the new AL and WN. Then the 787 will come.

Ok.....good joke....look in the mirror and say "My Hero!"

What I see is us negotiate a same pay then they will request the same when the 787 comes.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention lately, but we already make 787 pay. This is why it is an opportune time to shore-up the downside (i.e. protect pay rates if company decides on 100-seaters), because the potential for meaningful gains on the upside (787s) is tough when you're already holding the bar. If the other airlines can finally "take it back" like they keep saying they will (and I sincerely hope they can), that will provide a tremendous boost for our next Sect 6. Then we can raise the single rate we will hopefully soon settle on for ALL types of aircraft that SWAPA pilots eventually fly. :cool:

This is the # 1 reason I personally would like to see one pay scale at SWA. Jumping around for a few dollars ends up costing the company a fortune in training and otehr areas which in turn affects profit sharing and long term viability. (ROIC, organic growth, fleet upgrades, etc.) I think the one FAIR pay scale model keeps this in check. We shall see...

Well said- my thoughts exactly

Gary- full pay til the last day has it's place- that place just doesn't happen to be southwest airlines- they fully deserve our best and an efficient career path- but I've worked at places that did not- and I don't judge those who get theirs when their mgmt is all about the same thing.

I would just hate for pilots to end up doing flying they'd rather not be doing- costing the company $$$ training all the ripple effects- when that pilot is simply doing it to pay the bills. I see no benefit to multiple rates-

now that said- set a rate for each plane- but realize we're ALL on the same team whether we fly a q400 as was thought of during the frontier mess or a 787- set an appropriate rate and blend it into one so that we all end up profiting off the new type whether bigger or smaller AND all are doing the type of flying we would like to do.

Latest resources

Back