Should I quit my job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bigbird said:
I deserve a salary and health benfits. I dont give a #%#@ what anyone says. I will NOT fly for food or do any other work for beans. I am old enough and deserve to make a decent living just like everyone else..

"deserves" and "old enough"...I won't even ask to be excused for laughing. Yes, it would be so wonderful to have as an F/O someone so self-absorbed, combined with such an over-inflated sense of entitlement! Unmitigated joy would no doubt be felt while listening to his sage wisdome on "how the world should work" as attempts are made to convince me how Life is dealing him a lousy hand. :rolleyes: If I'm lucky, he might even begin to quote snippets from Lennon's song "Imagine". Let me guess bigbird....you're a Berkeley grad like mommy and daddy, right?

See, this is what was spawned when you old folk allowed hippies to breed in their communes. What were you thinking? Thanks a lot.

Get a grip!

Bigbird,

GET A GRIP! I agree that, based on your initial statements, you don't have what any of us would consider a "quality" aviation job. As you know, there are lots of flying jobs out there that aren't so great. The people that work at them usually do so until they can get something better. That's just the way this industry works.

I have a decent corporate job. Is it perfect? NO. Would I like something better? Of course. Am I d*mn happy to be employed right now? YOU BET I AM. That's the kind of attitude you need to have in this business, or you'll never survive.

Now, attacking guys like 501261 and Falcon Capt, who are hard-working guys who've given nothing but good advice to me and a lot of other pilots on this forum, is just tasteless. These guys are just trying to answer the question you originally asked, and your thanks is to call them a$$holes. Disgusting. With the attitude you have, I don't think you have much of a future in this business. I for one don't think I could share the cockpit of my King Air with you for four minutes, let alone four days.

The way I see it, you have two choices. Either make a MAJOR change to your attitude and outlook (after which I think you'd see your lot in life improve) or get out of this business and make room for some of the folks who don't have jobs and are willing to work for a living. I don't know where you got this attitude of entitlement from, but I'd be willing to bet your parents are Democrats. Life ain't always fair, pal ...

R

I could see this as flame-bait a mile away.

BigBird, keep your job! Get a part time job and augment your income. Is it right you can't earn a real income as a commercial pilot, of course it's not right. It however is the way it is! Every pilot before you, except military pilots had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make it for many years, I'm no exception.

Hell at 1300 hours I was flying dead bodies around the desert, and living on an indian reservation. Believe me sitting in the right seat of King Air is an awsome job to have with 1300 hrs. Enjoy what you have. Your time will come, be patiant! I bet if you hang in there another 6 months or so they'll upgrade you. For now take the time you have and learn from your captains.

Thanks captjim for the polite advice. These are the responses Im looking for. Not ones that attack me for being unhappy at my current job.

Bigbird,

Read your posts again... You weren't being attacked.... you just couldn't take advice and constructive criticism. Good luck...

Mike.... uh, I mean "Big Bird" has become unusually quiet all of the sudden... ;)

Things that make you say "Hhhhmmmm...." :eek:

Well??? Did you quit your job? :rolleyes:

Ive got a whopping 37 hours. I'll be more than glad to ride right seat. I currently work in tech support for an ISP. I sit here and day dream of the day I get a full time pilot's position and I understand that it will be a while. If your bored to tears just remember that there are guys like me that sit here and dream of a job like yours. Keep your head up, Ill probably be your first officer someday.

I can understand the basis of what bigbird is saying. BigBird thinks that we should stand up for our hard work. However, before I went any further than my private, I knew exactly what I was getting into and what to expect. I knew that nothing was going to change in 1 year, 2 years, or even 3 years. The underlying problem that is inherent to our career is that aviation is expensive and the cost of flying increases every day. It is not stable at all, and flucuates with the economy. If a company loses money, the first thing to go is the aviation department. Notice too that it is also the last thing to be added to a company.
Yes, there are a lot of people who have to "pay their dues" and some get their lucky breaks early. BigBird is one of them if he plays his cards right. In the meantime, I hope he realizes this and just sticks it out. Good luck and Blue Skies.

asolo said:
If a company loses money, the first thing to go is the aviation department. Notice too that it is also the last thing to be added to a company.

I wish people would stop saying this... this is more of a falacy of the past than the way things are today... yeah, some small companies who probably shouldn't have had an airplane in the first place may shut down their operation, but it isn't like as soon as the most companies goe red the first thing to go is the planes... just isn't true...

Latest resources

Back