Should I quit my job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigbird

I have been working for this company for over a year now. I feel like I am being treated unfair. I am a copilot on a king air B200. I have about 1300 total hours now. 500 in the king air. This company is a part 91 operation, so I do get some flying time. The company has no plans to send me to school so I can become captain. This job has become very boring for me. Just sitting there in the right seat of a king air, with hardly any responsiblities. Is this the typical corporate job?? Or should I look for something that will give me a chance to advance my career? Maybe my time is just too low to do anything else. Just looking for some advice.

I wouldn't jump ship just yet unless, of course, you've got something else in line already. As I'm sure you're aware, now is not a good time for a pilot to be looking for a job.

With that being said, if I were you (just guessing by your brief post) I'd be looking for a job as well. While there are companies out there that hire only pilot's for the right seat, I think their few and far between. In a "typical" operation, at least from my perspective, you'll start in the right seat, advance to captain then swap seats there on, or until another new hire is brought in for the right seat.

Grin and bare it until you've got something else lined up. Having a stretch of pilot unemployment on your resume won't help you get another job.

Good Luck!
2000Flyer

I've been laid off twice this year. Take my word for it, stay employeed till you get something else....
falcondriver

I second that motion.. I have a friend who's got a little over 1000 hours who would do anything to be in your shoes... Hang in there, for something better always comes up, but you have to wait for that opportunity. Cuz if you do, let me know, so I can help my buddy out and apply for your King Air position.. lol.

It seems that, that's just the nature of the beast.. I have been with a charter company in which I've been laid of twice within 2 years, and it's no fun... not in these economic conditions btw.. good luck... and keep in touch.

Oh, I would never quit until I had something else... I am just wondering if this is a typical flight department or is this rare? I also get no benifits and only get paid by the day. And of course I am expected to be on call all the time.

Have you ever considered that they might be planning on you to quit? Why train somebody when there is no room for upgrade, or you are not planning on staying, or you don't the company "profile". Any number of reasons, I don't want to sound harsh, but sometimes it just doesn't work out, they might be doing you a favor by keeping you around till you find something that better fits your "profile". Certainly a lot better solution for everybody than putting you out on the street.

Just something to thing about.

I also get no benifits and only get paid by the day. And of course I am expected to be on call all the time

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**.....maybe consider just quitting that one!!!
No really, that is not a corporate job, sounds like a bottom rate 135 charter or rat-shiit Pt 91 management deal....

KEEP YOUR JOB, but do some serious job shopping. Many will say there are no jobs out there right now, I really believe it depends on where you live and who you know! Keep up a strong resume, strong contacts and bottom line, KEEP FLYING. Get checked out as a PIC on that King Air. Underemployment is EASY to explain, Unemployment (by choice) is harder. Believe me, people like to hire pilots who are currently working.... for some reason.....

real "corporate" jobs pay fair to excellent, have days off, DONT have pagers or on call all the time, and have real benefits, stock options, 401ks, etc......

there are lots of these out there and you will find them with more experience!

good luck

bigbird said:
I have been working for this company for over a year now. I feel like I am being treated unfair. I am a copilot on a king air B200. I have about 1300 total hours now. 500 in the king air. This company is a part 91 operation, so I do get some flying time. The company has no plans to send me to school so I can become captain. This job has become very boring for me. Just sitting there in the right seat of a king air, with hardly any responsiblities. Is this the typical corporate job?? Or should I look for something that will give me a chance to advance my career? Maybe my time is just too low to do anything else. Just looking for some advice.

Good Grief,

1,300 hours and bored with the King Air already... when I had 1,300 hours (back in 1992) I was a CFI in a C-172 and a Beechcraft Duchess... I didn't burn any Kerosene until I had 2,450 hours...

Have you taken any initiative to show you are motivated and a team player? Is there extra things you could be doing at your job to make you stand out and show them you are a good, hard working employee? If you just drag yourself in for your trips and then slink off after they are over, maybe they figure you aren't staying around... so not worth spending money on...

Just my $0.02 worth

Falcon Capt. is right. What have you done for yourself lately? How are you logging your "co-pilot" time in an aircraft that doesn't require a co-pilot? Do you have a high altitude sign off? If not - you can't log PIC when you "some flying time".

I would have given a vital organ at 1300 hours to fly in a turbine but I was out flying freight in crappy aircraft all over the northeast, single pilot without the company culture that would “allow” me to cx the flight.

There are so many pilots without jobs out there – keep your job until you have another, work hard to develop a relationship and prove your worth with your current company. Do the best job you can for them – this might improve your situation now and put some “ammo” in your pouch for later in your career.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back