Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Perspective

bigbird,

Sometimes its best to stop what you're doing for a while and stand back to get some perspective. Do you know how many hours... no, forget hours... years most pilots spend in the right seat?

In the not-so-distant past, things were great for newbies in this industry for a long time. Now that things have slowed down, if people don't make captain by 1,500 hours they think there's something wrong! I've heard the same story many times over the years and it still amazes me.

Maybe my time is just too low to do anything else.

Maybe??? I hate to sound harsh but you need to wake up to reality. Judging from your post, you've been flying for a little over a year at best. Maybe two... You landed a King Air job at 800 hours and you feel cheated!

If you're bored in the right seat of a KA after only 500 hours then, either this type of work is simply beneath you, or you're just not paying attention. You can learn something from every flight if you want to, especially when you're just starting out.

If you're seeking advice, evaluate yourself and gain some perspective.

Good luck,

Bored? Feeling cheated?? Hell yes. I have spend alot of money and time on my career. I deserve a salary and health benfits. I dont give a #%#@ what anyone says. I will NOT fly for food or do any other work for beans. I am old enough and deserve to make a decent living just like everyone else. If this is the way most jobs are going to be, then I am going to use my degree and make a real living. I just hope someday I can find a company that I can fly for and be paid and treated fair.

And another thing....Looking at the people that responded to the my post, they obviously are willing to fly for free. Which drives down the treatment and salaries for pilots.

You asked...

bigbird,

If you aren't interested in the advice of people who have been through this process, then please don't waste our time by asking for it. We spend our time on this board to help each other.

The way things are in most careers are not always the way they should be.

I don't fly for free. You can see by my profile that I have good time, including over 1000 pic turbojet. I was laid off for the first five months of this year. That is how long it took me to find a job. I worked for another 4 months and got laid off again. It took me another month to find a job this time. I have responsibilities and need a paycheck. I agree that people flying for beans hurts all of us. If you haven't realized the aviation business is a little slow. If you can use your degree to get a better job, good. But if you want to see how bad it really is then leave your present job and see how fast they fill the slot. The rules have changed since 9/11. It will get better but nobody knows when, so see ya when the economy picks up.
FD

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** bigbird... perhaps someone fogot to mention due diligence and patience are two other factors you needed to have as a career pilot. With 1300 hours, you have a LOOOONNNGG way to go.. I started out like you, at 800 hours, got my first Citation SIC gig, got laid off after they sold the A/C out of the blue, got another Lear SIC gig, laid off just prior to 9/11 with the same company..

And I feel lucky to have a job at the moment finally earning PIC time on a LR55.. and yet, the job, the $$, the whole QOL picture can be better. But never forget that the road to getting there is more meaningful than the end of the road.. You're relatively new here, and you've only begun to scratch the surface at your experience. Without patience, you may as well take a different turn and get a real job.

Hey bigbird,
Its called paying your dues. I am tired of whinny pilots that just want theirs. And they use that old excuse that they will not prostitute themselves. We have all paid our share in one way or the other. If you are unhappy use that degree and open the seat for someone that will work. Its not like this is where you plan to hang your hat. Get the time, look elsewhere and for now be happy you are flying. I think your attitude sucks, given the market conditions. While I do agree you shouldnt fly for food and I never have or will. With 800 hours what did you expect from that company. You are lucky to get the time. And now with 1300-1500 you are excpecting to be captain. What have you done to prove you deserve it, bitch the entire time or being in a bad mood?. Have you talked to the Cheif pilot? You still have a lot to learn. I agree with CL60 andd Falcon.

The bored part is funny. I had a mech. fly with me once and he stated it well. Our job is filled with 5 min. of fun at both ends of the flight and filled with hours of staring out the window. That said, this beats a 9-5 job any day. My office view is great.

Last edited:
Hey bigbird,

I think you should keep the job and listen to these guys. I was in a situation just like yours except I wasn't doing any cleaning of the plane and was only working for 150 a day. I know I don't want to hear it from others. I this would of aviation you need to look out for number one. You are sitting pretty good with that amount of time. You should just be lucky to have a job and be getting paid. There are plenty of guys with 2 or 3 times your time out of work. Be thankful with what you have and stick with it. Otherwise quit and let somebody else take it. You could be asking do want fries with that instead. Just be happy you are in the air. This guy could decide to fly single pilot and tell you to hit the road. Then what?

Most guys with 1300 hours are still flying single pilot in some piece of sh!t piston that has sh!tty MX. Flying around in the weather and being pressured to do so by some a$$hole CP that threatens to find someone else to do your job. (Side note not saying all CP's are a$$holes.) I just had one that was and made us feel quilty for not flying into a level 6 TS with no radar. Never did it myself. But you could be doing that instead of sitting in a nice KA 200. Think real hard before you quit. Then kick your self a month later when you are wearing the golden arches cap.

Good Luck

Thanks for the posts. I understand how you guys feel about my so called "bitching". All I am asking is why cant the company treat me a little better. I am a commecial pilot, I deserve to get my bills paid every month. I am not looking to get rich here. How do you think I feel when the plane goes down for repairs for two weeks?? No paycheck... I am trying to find another job, but they are hard to come by as you know. I have told the company I would be willing to stick around or sign a contract. I just want some compensation for my time. I am sure the janatior for the company makes more than me and has a stable income. Is that much to ask??

Latest resources

Back