Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rjcap said:
Bailout - can't be true.

Sleepy heard it in the crew lounge from people in the know. ( That means important people who are really smart that talk to Skip everyday.)

Any other insider gossip sleepy ????

Never underestimate the stupidity of pilots !

No new gossip today, but you can be sure that there will be more in the future. As with anything you hear in the crew lounge from our highly informed pilots, take it with a small grain of salt.

RJ Cap, how long have you been on the CR7?

On the Furlough rumor

Hey guys,

I am in the Dec 9th class and listened to Skip B. say that he would rather have a surplus of pilots from the EMB120 retirement then furlough anybody. He said ASA is proud of the fact they have never furloughed, with an exception of 2 at the very beginning of the company, and will not as long as things stay as they are today.

Of course that leaves the door open, but I took his statement as genuine, he was very down to business and personable at the same time.

Besides learning all my aircraft stuff, I have also learned that rumors/gossip are huge and I wont believe anything till I see it.

I think pilots are probable better at gossip then the local ladies at the weekly bridge club meeting.

medeco

I spoke with J.E. this morning. She confirmed that there will be no more new hire classes this year, this could change but in her opinion would be unlikely. She also said that she would let people remain in the pool for up to a year, depending on current flying experience. Lastly, she said that at the end of the year ASA will end up with a surplus of pilots, how this will be handled is yet to be resolved. There will be updates on ASA's website when able.

Last edited:
Pilot Monkey,

Well, nice to know JE has told the same bad news to more poolees than just me. What a turnaround. I never did like pilot pools, to easy to sink to the bottom. Keep flying!

We were told in March that we would be the last class for the year. Here we are, 7, 8, classes later.......

To paraphrase Mr. Twain, if you don't like the hiring news at ASA, wait a few minutes, it will change. Keep the faith.

ASA rumors

:eek: Medeco: where did you get the idea ASA never really had any furloughs? After 9/11 I talk to a guy in FLL that was furloughed from ASA and was working as a limo driver. I have noticed that the management there likes to bend the truth a little.

:eek: By the way, carefull as a new hire there, when the company stops hiring for awhile and doesn't need pilots anymore they tend to loose people,if you know what I mean. Again things I have been told, by several.

I think some of these pilot pools need a little chlorine in them once in awhile.

All this just in good fun and opinion.

Last edited:
The life raft has a hole in it . . .

I got the same info by phone today, supposed to be a letter soon to all poolies or some way to access updates via the website. Also was told that there is a projected surplus of pilots if all stays the same. I guess that is the big IF but it does seem grim if they do retire the Brasilias. Heard they may retire a handful by end of Feb then possibly two handfuls or more at the end of March.

Very discouraging at this point, but thanks to those who are trying to help us poolies keep the faith.

Has anyone been told exactly how many poolies there are at this time? And I hear that Comair is hiring, can anyone confirm? Do they have a pool right now?

Thanks all.

Re: ASA rumors

SquirrelDog said:
After 9/11 I talk to a guy in FLL that was furloughed from ASA and was working as a limo driver. I have noticed that the management there likes to bend the truth a little
Not as much as that limo driver does. If that person was claiming that he was an ASA pilot, I can tell you unequivocally that either you misunderstood him or he was lying. If he was claiming that he was in another union position at ASA, other than pilot, I am about 99.999% certain that we furloughed NO ONE after 9/11.

Our hiring and growth stalled for a few months after 9/11, just like everyone else, but once the growth strategy was in place, we started hiring at a fairly rapid rate again.

By the way, was that limo driver named Lloyd Christmas by any chance?

I just took a look at the January EMB line awards. In ATl there are 96 EMB pilots and in DFW there are 113. This does not include the training departments. A rough estimate of 230 pilots to transition at 20 per month and that gets you to 11 months of RJ training classes.

Doesn't look like we will hire anybody for awhile.

I for one can verify that after Sept 11 ASA didnt furlought any pilots for I would have been one of the first out the door. I was a new hire doing my second sim on that day. We never even heard any nasty rumor of furlough or were forgot about or anything of the sort.

ASAFO

Latest resources

Back