Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Will this expansion affect hiring?

btflyer2 said:
This thread has had lots of talk about expansion, primarily from DFW and westward. But what I can't figure out from these posts is if this will affect hiring. I am in the "pool" and am awaiting a new hire class date. About two weeks ago, pilot recruitment stated that probably no new hire classes til maybe '04.

Everyone seems so excited about this expansion. What I am wondering is if this expansion was what ASA hired for last fall, or is this NEW expansion that may trigger a new hire class soon.

Also, does anyone know how many of us left in the pool? At last count about 30, but that is just everyones guess. Any reliable info on this please post. Thanks.

I would say that this is more of a redirection of assets than an expansion. They are shifting flying to DFW. For the year 2003 we will have a net loss of 2-3 aircraft with the retirement of the E-120.

I doubt that last Fall's hiring had anything to do with this redirection of assets. ASA does not usually plan that far in advance. In the company's defense, thay have to react to what Delta tells them to do. Often Delta does not give them much of a head's-up. That is why things change so quickly around here. While they say no hiring untill 2004, that could change next week, depending on what Delta tells them to do.

Things to consider are the retirement of the E-120, that we are in Section 6 contract talks, that DCI is working to even out the DCI flying throughout all of our hubs, that the mainline is still shrinking (with much of that flying being shifted to DCI), that DAL Song will start service this year, the pending war with Iraq, the economy, etc. There are so many variables at play that it is really hard to know what ASA will be doing in the future.

I heard today that we will be flying the retired 727's, merging with Comair, getting stapled to the Bottom of Delta, being furloughed out of seniority, and start flying the Brasilia's out of Orlando...

On a serious note, I'm gonna miss Betty and the Brasilia, she's been a moody but forgiveful babe.. :(

Hey all...got the official letter today regarding no more new hire classes for six months to one year. It says they are retiring seven EMB-120s by the end of February and an unknown number will continue to be removed from Atlanta throughout spring. Obviously these pilots will be transitioning into the new CRJ spots. This actually sounds very similar to what Comair went through this past summer/fall. From what I can remember, Comair didn't have any new hire classes for 5-6 months (correct me if I'm wrong) as all their Brazilia pilots transitioned to the CRJ. So, can anyone who knows answer these questions...how many Brazilias did Comair have when they decided to retire all of them, and how many Brazilias does ASA have in Atlanta? I have heard that ASA isn't retiring the Dallas based Brazilias yet, so I'm assuming only the ATL crews will have to transition for now.

Being the optimist, there are two things us "poolies" need to remember. First, as the letter says "this forecast is subject to change", and second, once the Comair Brazilia pilots all transitioned to the CRJ, lots of newhire classes started back up. So here's hoping for a good announcement soon so that forecast changes. But if not, six months isn't that long to wait for a great job.

Latest resources

Back