Game On

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hear! Hear! Thanks for supporting all the family members

I was only thinking the other day that for us on the road our dream can be our partners nightmare.

While I grew up dreaming of flying I'm sure my wife didn't grow up dreaming of being a single mother half her life.

It takes a special kind of person to be in a relationship with someone who is gone every other week.

I suggest that in the next contract we include a clause for pilots that are retiring and have been with Netjets for at least 10 years.

On you last leg of your last tour, you get to ferry the airplane back to your base where your met by your family. You get to load up your family and fly them over your house before returning to your base and walking away.

I'm very interested in other suggestions for saying thanks to those who fought on the home front.

I was only thinking the other day that for us on the road our dream can be our partners nightmare.

While I grew up dreaming of flying I'm sure my wife didn't grow up dreaming of being a single mother half her life.

It takes a special kind of person to be in a relationship with someone who is gone every other week.

I suggest that in the next contract we include a clause for pilots that are retiring and have been with Netjets for at least 10 years.

On you last leg of your last tour, you get to ferry the airplane back to your base where your met by your family. You get to load up your family and fly them over your house before returning to your base and walking away.

I'm very interested in other suggestions for saying thanks to those who fought on the home front.

Cry me a river....:crying:

I've relocated four times during my career. The last two were because of layoffs due to union actions that uprooted my family. I don't want to hear about your whining and schedule, it has no impact.

You knew, as I did, when we started this career that the schedule was going to suck and there would be a lot of time away from home.

What I didn't know when I started this, but have learned since is that when there is a union involved and things go bad, that if you become a non-pilot support or management person, YOU get hammered first, even though you are an innocent bystander to a union action.

Hence, my days at a union carrier are over. No more turmoil, no more moves and the best QOL that I've ever had with a stable carrier.

And in his very words and insults, B19 (red for kool aid!) shows what a baseless FUD spewer he is. While he sounds the trumpets to recognize the worth and value of all the "non-pilot" support personnel in flight operations, at the same time he is willing to attempt to debase and insult the "support" personnel at home, with comments like "you are nothing but a pilot's wife."

The rhetoric he forwards is nothing but a typical anti union scheme to try to drive rank and file employees against one another by creating a divide. We all KNOW (from NJ example no less) that our successful negotiation of a contract will be the only thing that will SAVE this damn ship, and thus save the jobs of our valuable support personnel (a category into which our PSMs, PMs, and almost all higher management do NOT fall.)

Hobbes, NJW is only a pilot's wife, and if you want to accept her view of life and unions, you are entitled to it.

She is entitled to her opinion, and I'm entitled to continue to counter her arguments that I think are irresponsible and harmful to the industry.

For example, she is supporting 1108 splitting from IBT. For a FLOPS guy, that is perhaps the worst thing you want to hear. If the union is going to have any strength in the industry, the NJ pilots can't be off on their own. Ever since I can remember, 1108 has wanted to be the representation of the entire fractional industry. Now, when the FLOPS pilots need them most, they create a battle with IBT. How does that help the FLOPS pilots? It doesn't.

Next thing you know, she will be supporting that NJ split away from Berkshire Hathaway. After all, they suck all the money out of NJ, just like the IBT sucks the money out of 1108. I can see it now, if NJ breaks away from Berkshire Hathaway, then there is more profit for the union to get as NJ no longer will have to send any money to Uncle Warren.

Wait a minute, I can see her next idea, once they break away from Berkshire Hathaway, they can break away from the US goverment and begin their own country, that way NJ no longer has to pay any taxes or fees, and there can be MORE money to support 1108!!

Where does it stop??? First IBT, then the world!! NJW will have it all!! (I wonder if she'll have a mini-NJW???)

You don't counter any arguments though do you? You just spew FUD like some tornado of lies, never addressing the fact that the union has made NJ what it currently is, making record profits and setting the standard in the industry for SAFETY, service, and sustainability.

I am officially out. It debases me to even have a discussion with someone as close minded as yourself. Good luck destroying Flight Options and helping mgmt steal what is left for themselves B19.

Peace to ALL (even B19 if he can ever find it.)

B19, you finally made me learn how to use the ignore function. You will probably call this censorship but you would be wrong. If I said you had no right to spout your opinion whenever you like, that would be censorship. You have that right. I, on the other hand, don't have to listen. That is my right and I chose to exercise it. Now if Hobbes will just switch back to black. Oh well.

Peace to ALL (even B19 if he can ever find it.)

I found peace working non-union Hobbes. If you aren't happy, find a job you that works for you where there is a happy union if that's what you want.

Placing a union onto the property will give years of turmoil. I said that over a year ago, and has it not been that?

You got what you asked for.

Me? I was careful about my choice of employer.

B19, you finally made me learn how to use the ignore function. You will probably call this censorship but you would be wrong. If I said you had no right to spout your opinion whenever you like, that would be censorship. You have that right. I, on the other hand, don't have to listen. That is my right and I chose to exercise it. Now if Hobbes will just switch back to black. Oh well.

I gave the instructions ages ago about how to place me on ignore, you don't have to tell me you are.. just do it. I don't want anybody reading my posts that doesn't want to. It's a free country.

I placed unions on "Ignore" for my career a number of years ago, and have enjoyed the best QOL and most peaceful years ever.

I was only thinking the other day that for us on the road our dream can be our partners nightmare. It can be tough on kids, too.

While I grew up dreaming of flying I'm sure my wife didn't grow up dreaming of being a single mother half her life. So true. Ironically, when I met my husband he was an AF pilot and I told him I wouldn't have gotten involved with him had he been in the Navy because those guys are gone from home too much.

It takes a special kind of person to be in a relationship with someone who is gone every other week. Yes, the strain on family life is one of the reasons the pay has to justify the sacrifices made for the pilots to fly. I don't envy those in newer marriages. Ours was well established when my husband became a frac pilot.

I suggest that in the next contract we include a clause for pilots that are retiring and have been with Netjets for at least 10 years. On you last leg of your last tour, you get to ferry the airplane back to your base where your met by your family. You get to load up your family and fly them over your house before returning to your base and walking away. Something special to mark the occasion is a great idea. AF pilots have fini flights: the guys in the squadron met the plane as it taxied in and they hosed the departing pilot down with fire extinguishers and a bottle of champagne, which they let him drink afterwards. Lots of fun. The families turned out, too, and we had a party to celebrate the pilot's contribution to the country's defense. Something similar would be great.

I hear that the command center in CMH is an amazing place to visit. It'd be fun to have time slots set up in the summer for families to go to CMH to do the tour together and meet one another. We could also get together at fun vacation spots. Before my husband's Union projects became so time-consuming, I used to arrange get-togethers in our area for NJ families. I hope to start doing that again when life isn't so hectic. Maybe after NJASAP is established we can look for volunteers to make the calls and arrange get-togethers in their area. A few of the groups do that already a couple times a year. I'd like to see more of that. And....a section of our message board for the kids to post to one another would be good. I'm all for increasing the camaraderie of our group. Thanks for your interest and support, Ozpilot! :)

One of the good things about the NJ pilots evolving into an independent Union is that there will be funds available to do more for the pilots. NJASAP would be able to help sponsor a retirement party, I should think. I know there are laws governing the use of dues that must be adhered to, but surely there are ways to set up accounts--like the Pilot/Family Mutual Aid Fund--to provide flowers at funerals, new baby gifts, etc. I know that the NJASAP leaders have plans to become a voice for frac pilots and advance causes important to the industry, but they are also family men who value the support on the home front so I'm sure in time volunteers can work something out that will meet the approval of the NJASAP Directors. One step at a time, though, we have to decertify from the Teamsters first...:) but that project is off to a good start so I'm optimistic that it's only a matter of time before the NJ pilots are officially independent. In reality, they've been operating that way since they got their own Local. Going solo is just the next logical step for our group and now is a good time. NJW

Latest resources

Back