• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For those who quit the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am surprised some people don't do better research when thinking of a flying career.When i started 40 years ago the complaints were pretty much the same as i read here, away from home, seniority list etc etc...The BS has changed the work some but the job hasn't change much.

Come and join the FAA as a ASI. I quit Mesa went to UAL, got FURLOUGHED a week before training. Good, stable job at FAA. Pay is good, job stable, no weekends/holidays, never work past 4pm, and no hectic pace. Most of all NO furoloughs. Also plenty of opportunity to transfer. And did I say a retirement plan??
I do miss the people I worked with, however I do not miss flying the line. The harderst thing about my new job was learning how to sit behind a desk for 8 hours without going stir crazy! A few walks outside periodically help with this. Good luck!

1)Where are you working now? (I'm having a hard time finding anyone out there who needs a former airline pilot with an aviation degree)

2)Do you regret leaving/miss the flying a lot? (Why/Why not)

(I do realize that there might be mostly current regional pilots reading this, but I figured I'd give it a shot on here)

...Thanks for the help, I'm just withering on the vine making this kind of money for this many years and I think I finally need out!

1)I am a stay at home dad

2)No

2a)get the hell out now while you still have your youth

Come and join the FAA as a ASI. I quit Mesa went to UAL, got FURLOUGHED a week before training. Good, stable job at FAA. Pay is good, job stable, no weekends/holidays, never work past 4pm, and no hectic pace. Most of all NO furoloughs. Also plenty of opportunity to transfer. And did I say a retirement plan??
I do miss the people I worked with, however I do not miss flying the line. The harderst thing about my new job was learning how to sit behind a desk for 8 hours without going stir crazy! A few walks outside periodically help with this. Good luck!
Good luck with that. I like my office view better!

Good luck with that. I like my office view better!

I'm an ASI as well, and I am rarely in the office. I get your same "office view" without all the B.S. that comes with it. Cheers!

Many employers believe that pilot skills do not translate well into other professions. They are wrong. I'm about to give you the best tip you will ever receive if you want to change careers and start out earning a six figure salary.

Google: MWD, Measurement While Drilling, Directional Drilling, Horizontal Drilling, Marcellus Shale and educate yourself a bit first.

If you think you are cut out for it then email your resume to [email protected].

Where does one find the requirements and application to be an ASI?

www.usajobs.gov

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: (this is for Air Carrier Ops ASIs)

MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Not more than two separate incidents involving Federal aviation regulations violations in the last 5 years; Valid State drivers license; Fluency in the English language; No chemical dependencies or drug abuse that could interfere with job performance; and High school diploma or equivalent.

MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be physically able to perform the duties of the Aviation Safety Inspector position in a safe and efficient manner, and must meet all of the following requirements:
A. Have a good distant vision in each eye and be able to read printed materials the size of typewritten characters (glasses and contact lenses permitted) without strain; B. Have the ability to hear the conversational voice (hearing aid permitted);
C. Not have any physical condition that would cause them to be a hazard to themselves or others or that would interfere with their ability to fly as passengers in a variety of aircraft.

SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To qualify for this position you must demonstrate in your application that you possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to FV, FG/GS 9/11/12 in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. This experience includes at least 1 year of pilot experience in multi-engine aircraft of more than 12,500 pounds maximum certificated takeoff weight; not more than 2 flying accidents during the last 5 years in which the applicants pilot error was involved and professional flying skill as demonstrated in a simulator check to Airline Transport Pilot Standard. Minimum of 100 flight hours during the last 3 years, Airline Transport Pilot Certificate or Commercial Pilot Certificate with instrument airplane rating (Department of Navy positions require pilot experience as demonstrated by previous ATP level performance in large multi¿engine airplanes and helicopters); Possession of a valid second-class FAA medical certificate (For positions within the Department of Navy, applicants must also be physically qualified to ride as an observer aboard squadron aircraft. In addition, must also meet physical requirements to travel and lift heavy objects while performing mishap investigations); and minimum 1,500 total flight hours. In addition, applicants for positions that require participation in the operation of aircraft must pass recurrent medical examinations as prescribed by the FAA.

I am surprised some people don't do better research when thinking of a flying career.When i started 40 years ago the complaints were pretty much the same as i read here, away from home, seniority list etc etc...The BS has changed the work some but the job hasn't change much.

I agree, but also you have people who think "I can do it, it can't be that bad."
When they get their, they're dead wrong.

Latest resources

Back