• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For those who quit the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I appreciate all of your kind words regarding my post... if we ever run into each other at a layover hotel; remind me you've heard my story before. If I've got a job; beers are on me!

LXA,

Fantastic post. Best of luck to you; we all need to be reminded that timing and luck have at least something to do with our career progression or lack therof. Your experience is a very sobering reminder that the grass is not always greener. Thanks for being honest and humble with your experiences, and I hope things look up for you soon.

For those who said screw this and jumped ship from their regional and are now working at a different job other than another airline/135, just a couple questions (specifically those of you who were like me and only have a BS in Aviation):

1)Where are you working now? (I'm having a hard time finding anyone out there who needs a former airline pilot with an aviation degree)

2)Do you regret leaving/miss the flying a lot? (Why/Why not)

(I do realize that there might be mostly current regional pilots reading this, but I figured I'd give it a shot on here)

...Thanks for the help, I'm just withering on the vine making this kind of money for this many years and I think I finally need out!

1) 1800goguard.com I make more, like to job more, and enjoy the camaraderie not seen in the airline world.

2) I am still flying but in a very different capacity. After flying on active duty I left and went back to school for a semester. Best grades of my life but the wife (then GF) said I needed to go back to flying because I was so miserable. I then spent 4+ years in the regional world. After getting "Mob'd" and flying in the military again, I can't say I miss anything at all from the regional world. The majors may be better but I frankly can't see the return on investment when considering the sacrifices needed to get there. One other issue is the ability to expand my resume into Safety or areas and other skills that I could use if my medical goes away. I too have the useless aviation degree...

When I went through an aviation university (hanging my head admitting that mistake ) I had an instructor that left PDT as a CAPT. He became a flight instructor and then moved into the classroom while keeping one foot in the planes as a check pilot. He was happy, he was home every night with his wife and children. Just an other avenue.

Also think outside the box:
usajobs.com (Forrest services, government flying, ICE)
ARNG
ANG
Military Contract i.e. Evergreen, L3, Avenge, Dynamic.

Look at jsfirm.com, uspilots.com

You only get one shot at this life and you won't get out alive!

If you aren't happy and it won't get better in time, make a change.

Just My Humble Opinion.

Well today is one of those days I enjoy...NASTY WX......ORD-SPI in an ERJ145 , full boat with 50/50 chance we may not get in. SPI 3/4 vis , snow and windy. We shoot a LOC appr to rwy4 and miss, circle to an ILS31 with an 5kt tailwind and gusty. I land and grease it , hearing the pax clapping as we touch down.

With all thats going on with our company ,I still enjoy the heck out of this job. I cant imagine doin anything else.

Some find other outlets of their time and are able to lead productive and successful times away from the cockpit- but for those of us who truly belong in the cockpit; no amount of success in sales, professional endeavors or "desk jockey" jobs will suffice...

My suggestion? Look around you. In this environment don't even attempt a move to another airline or -135/corporate. It is very volatile in this industry now (and always), the smart move is to dig-in and be vigilant to protect what you DO have. I am lucky in that I am still single and do not have to carry the additional burdens of a family and children through this uncertain and trying time of unemployment. I imagine that for those in that situation, the decision to leave aviation behind for good is a much clearer one.

I for one am still hopeful- and if I had the chance today- I'd gladly start somewhere, anywhere at the bottom of the -121 world. Just my .02

I'm not sure if you have the appreciation for what you've built in aviation. I just started another of my own businesses, begrudgingly, and am having to completely renew my development of knowledge in another industry, seek its accreditation and its licenses, build my list of contacts and network within that industry, etc. It's a daunting task and one that is easier said than done!

LXA, you hit on some very valid points! I too jumped from a regional to the "greener" side of cargo flying- went from a CRJ to a DC-10! Woo hoo! Life is awesome, so glad I quit- what's this? Furlough? But I just GOT here!!!

That was over 4 years ago.

However, everything happens for a reason. You might not know it now, or tomorrow, or even 4 years later, but it all works out in the end.

Case in point: me. Had I stayed at the regional, I'm certain I would have made captain by now. That would have been fantastic; I completely agree with your "sense of accomplishment" feeling. However, I had also gotten married to a girl from South America in the meanwhile; had I stayed flying, I'm certain my marriage wouldn't be anywhere near as great as it is now. Heck, it might have even been over! But instead, my marriage is rock solid.

During the 4+ years I was on the street (1 year involuntary furlough, 3 years self-imposed exile) I was fortunate enough to be involved in a start-up company in a completely different industry. I was able to learn A LOT of skills that I simply would not have learned had I been flying all this time. I've built a business from the ground up, watching it go from 3 employees to about 15 now; our annual sales are well over $2 million, and growing. I was home every night, and I was content.

...but not happy. Because you're right, "no amount of success in sales, professional endeavors or "desk jockey" jobs will suffice..." I, like you, truly belong in the cockpit. It took me about 1.5 years after the furlough to realize that; only another 2.5 years until the economy improved to a point where I could get back in the cockpit. Some of the hardest 2.5 years in my life; unlike my time in the Marines, which had a definite start/stop date (and don't get me wrong; I LOVED my time in the Marines. Had I been single these last 3 years I'd go back in a heartbeat!) my return to the cockpit had no definite date. It could be 1 year. it could be 5 years. Who knows?

Turns out it took me just over 4 years from my furlough notice to get back into the industry. I start class in a few weeks.

Yesterday I had a going away party at my company; it brought a tear to my eye. I was able to see this company go from a small operation to a larger one, kicking @ss in our industry; people were really sad to see me go, and I'll miss them all.

However, I still get to keep my skill set that I earned while "flying the desk". While I'm no longer doing the 9-5 gig with the company, I'll still be able to be a "part time ambassador" for them; layovers are lengthy, and now the company I've helped create truly has a "global" reach. Since I'm going to have long layovers, I might as well do something productive with them, like make commissions from new clients I'll bring in.

So my point is not to brag about what I'm doing, but to give you hope. Like the wise man said, "this too will pass". Whether good, or bad; your furlough will eventually come to an end. Today, tomorrow, next year, 5 years from now, who knows.

USE this opportunity to learn new things, to develop personally and professionally. When you get back to flying, these tools you pick up will help you out immensely!

Good luck!

LXApilot... your grammar and prose is immaculate. Anyways... I'm not even a pilot, and think that's a great point.

LXA pilot, your post should be required reading for the Regional or any aviation job forum.........
I too was the aviation university grad with the gee whiz pilot degree (I did get an A&P as well...the best choice I ever made in school). I started flying full time after wrenching and instructing a few years before. I flew corporate for a small company with a new Citation. I did side work with charter and frieght outfits on the field as well. I was invited to join a chater company that was growing with a fleet of lears and jumped on that as well. Part 135 life was a bit tough, so I figured an airline gig would give me some stability and QOL. Hello Comair for a year. Learned alot, had fun, realized I look bad in an airline hat. Offered a great job in a Citation, great company, good QOL and good coin. The best 2 years of my flying career, then my medical went away.......forever. I did have advanced warning of what I was facing, and looked at a variety of avenues. The company took care of me and gave me a job internally. I was extremely grateful, but the work wsnt something I could do long term, my heart wasnt in it. I then got a job with the goverment and work at the airport. I have nothing to do with aviation, I am now law enforcement doing customs/immigration work. What one gov't agency takes away, another agency gives you something back.
I miss flying terribly and look back at the flying days as a great time of my life. I now can fly with a 3rd class, so I can get my C-172 fix, but damn I dont remeber it being this expensive. Now when I fly it seems different, I have really no where to go, I have no time frame to get somewhere, no scheudle. I limit myself to VFR, I fly for fun and fun only. Flying is a bit anti-climatic in a way. I guess I am no longer building time, or training for a new rating, I am just flying for the sake of flying.
The grass is always greener arguement exists in every industry/sector/profession, etc. I see it where I work , where guys will jump from agency to agency to chase their dreams or goals. Some want to kick in doors, some want cool guy special agent jobs, etc. I am a cautious person when it come to choices about my livliehood. Be thankful that you can choose your nextstep. Consider what you need, where you want to go, your goals/happiness. I am the luckiest guy never to have had a day without a paycheck. Luck and timig have been on my side despite my best efforts to screw things up.
Flying is awesome, a good flying job feels like your stealing when you get paid. At the end of day, we all need to set our priorities and balance what we love and what is needed and what we have to do to achieve that balance.

Good Luck......it isnt easy...but it is the life we choose with this flying thing in our brains. Fly Safe.

I still love this job. The goals have changed a bit, but it blows away the alternative of working in an office. It will have to get much worse before I leave this industry.

What I think is interesting is there have been many people who asked me about this profession years ago. I advised them to get a degree in CS or any other real, useful degree. I told them the hard truth, about being away from home, about the long days......everything.

For Three of them, a real degree was just too inconvenient and slow, so they
went to an aviation university and got a "degree" while racking up 100k of debt.

Now they are whining about the lifestyle and money, the VERY thing I told them about. They want to quit. They are whining about having a useless aviation degree and having to go back to school.

Here is MY question. What has changed? Did you not do ANY research regarding this career? I want to know why, after people TOLD YOU NOT to go into this field unless you love it, and to have a backup, why you didn't listen?

Every day it seems I fly with an FO all pissed off about his career choice. They always tell me how easy it would be to leave and find a job within a week making $80,000

So go ahead and chase the next million by racking up another 89k worth of debt. Try nursing....it's so easy! No work at all

Sorry for the rant. It's just getting old
These kids were sold down the river on what the lifestyle was all about.
But why do you care about what they do with their time and money?
Are you jealous because they got out while their still young and could change careers?
Not everyone is willing to take the beating you seem to love. Keep making excuses.

Latest resources

Back