For those who quit the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GlenQ

For those who said screw this and jumped ship from their regional and are now working at a different job other than another airline/135, just a couple questions (specifically those of you who were like me and only have a BS in Aviation):

1)Where are you working now? (I'm having a hard time finding anyone out there who needs a former airline pilot with an aviation degree)

2)Do you regret leaving/miss the flying a lot? (Why/Why not)

(I do realize that there might be mostly current regional pilots reading this, but I figured I'd give it a shot on here)

...Thanks for the help, I'm just withering on the vine making this kind of money for this many years and I think I finally need out!

You wouldn't be the first to have to call it quits. Keep your family ahead of your career and do what you have to do to take care of them. You can always rent a 172 from time to time for your airplane fix!

I've been out of the cockpit since October from both a medical issue and then a furlough. I miss it, but I wouldn't trade the time I've been spending with my son for anything!

Most of the people I know that bolted all are back in school. A handful hit up WIA and the government is paying a portion of that 2nd degree. Most went back for health care or law/law enforcement.

missing flying? sure, missing the 0500 shows, dhd's, commuting, 3rd rate hotels, and 4 hour productivity sits in the hub of your choice? You already know that answer. Everybody will miss the "flying", all the stuff that goes with it though, you will be hard pressed to find someone who will admit they miss that.

I can tell you this... for the first few months, you will miss it dearly, 6 months later you will reflect back wondering why you ever put up with it. Do what is right for yourself and your family, this job (not a career anymore) should come second.

Until those who graduate with degrees realize that there are no jobs out there worth having. Driving a desk or stocking shelves really sucks.

Wron a a a

most of the people i know that bolted all are back in school. A handful hit up wia and the government is paying a portion of that 2nd degree. Most went back for health care or law/law enforcement.

Missing flying? Sure, missing the 0500 shows, dhd's, commuting, 3rd rate hotels, and 4 hour productivity sits in the hub of your choice? You already know that answer. Everybody will miss the "flying", all the stuff that goes with it though, you will be hard pressed to find someone who will admit they miss that.

I can tell you this... For the first few months, you will miss it dearly, 6 months later you will reflect back wondering why you ever put up with it. Do what is right for yourself and your family, this job (not a career anymore) should come second.
agree

Last edited:
1)Where are you working now? (I'm having a hard time finding anyone out there who needs a former airline pilot with an aviation degree)

FAA. Aviation Safety Inspector. We're hiring. Best "non-flying" job I've had.

No. You still have to maintain currency, so you'll either be in the sim (Air Carrier) or in rented aircraft (GA).

For those who said screw this and jumped ship from their regional and are now working at a different job other than another airline/135, just a couple questions (specifically those of you who were like me and only have a BS in Aviation):

(I do realize that there might be mostly current regional pilots reading this, but I figured I'd give it a shot on here)

...Thanks for the help, I'm just withering on the vine making this kind of money for this many years and I think I finally need out!

I left flying back in 2004, at that time I was single with no girlfriend but I could not stand the life style, being gone for 4/5 days, liviing out of a suit case, heck I even moved up on the senority list pretty fast so I had most weekends and holidays off I was about 14 spots left for me to upgrade.

My main reason for leaving was I did not like the idea of being controlled by a senority list and knowning this is the amount of money I will make each year and my progression in my career is solely based upon when my number comes up. I had a BA in Aviation Management, I left flying and started my own construction company up, started by flipping house (good time then) and then I settled into a painting and drywall company. I like having my own control of my future both on my income and job security.

I am know married with 2 kids and another coming in a month. My wife stays home with my kids I am home everynight, every weekend and every holiday. I always have the opportunity to leave work to go home if someone is sick or needs something. My office is 10 minutes from my house.

There are some negatives as well, I miss the hell out of flying, ecspecially for me flying commercial aircraft with passengers, it was something I always loved. Everytime I see an airplane I stop and watch, I go out of my way when I am driving to just drive by an airport. The one thing when I start to miss flying while looking at the airplane, I remember that those pilots are maybe on day 2 of 4 or finishing a stand up line, but then another part tells me they might be off for the next 7 days too!

Everyone is different and how you will progress after you leave, I was lucky and fell into some good opportunities for me, I still have a goal to go back flying commercial in my fifties when I am financiall stabile, that is my goal not everyones also maybe not realistic, hopefully I can buy my own by then.

I havent been flying since I left as well, time and money has limited me from doing that which is terrible on my part. I still keep my CFI certificates renewed as well.

Good luck in your decision, I know it is a hard one. Lot of non flying people dont realize how hard it is to make, we have a passion for flying, I dont have a passion for construction, but in life priorities change, mine our my family now.

I still love this job. The goals have changed a bit, but it blows away the alternative of working in an office. It will have to get much worse before I leave this industry.

What I think is interesting is there have been many people who asked me about this profession years ago. I advised them to get a degree in CS or any other real, useful degree. I told them the hard truth, about being away from home, about the long days......everything.

For Three of them, a real degree was just too inconvenient and slow, so they
went to an aviation university and got a "degree" while racking up 100k of debt.

Now they are whining about the lifestyle and money, the VERY thing I told them about. They want to quit. They are whining about having a useless aviation degree and having to go back to school.

Here is MY question. What has changed? Did you not do ANY research regarding this career? I want to know why, after people TOLD YOU NOT to go into this field unless you love it, and to have a backup, why you didn't listen?

Every day it seems I fly with an FO all pissed off about his career choice. They always tell me how easy it would be to leave and find a job within a week making $80,000

So go ahead and chase the next million by racking up another 89k worth of debt. Try nursing....it's so easy! No work at all

Sorry for the rant. It's just getting old

If you are young enough join the military...even if you are a few years outside of the max flying age, you can get a waiver for training.

Latest resources

Back