ASA...Furloughs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hanging onto a piece of driftwood . .

For someone in the pool, reading this thread has been gut wrenching.

rjcap, if you have heard talk of a new hire class in late 03, or when the EMB guys have retrained, when do you think that will be? Or anyone familiar with the info in the August prelims or in the retraining process, what classes are running and how many are left?

Do you think they will wait until all the retraining is done, all the way through IOE, or begin a new hire class as soon as the EMB guys are out of class and starting IOE????

So many questions . . . so few (definite) answers!!!!

I hate to say it, but I think that you may need a raft! I am expecting to be furloughed, or at best go back to reserve for a loooong time. You have to look at the plain facts. Whatever the reason, contract negotiations, financing, etc.. if ASA does not expand its flying in DFW of increase in ATL, we have an over abundance of pilots now. With the loss of the EMB120's, and no additional flying to overcome this, there are just too many pilots now. This is a raw deal, especially when you see Delta keep pumping up Chatauqua and SkyWest right under our noses. The promised spectacular growth did not come about, and now were all stuck in a bad spot.

Good luck to all you swimmers. If I were in your shoes, I would try Comair or Chat or SkyWest. It may be a longer wait than you hoped.

Beavis said:
I hate to say it, but I think that you may need a raft! I am expecting to be furloughed, or at best go back to reserve for a loooong time. You have to look at the plain facts. Whatever the reason, contract negotiations, financing, etc.. if ASA does not expand its flying in DFW of increase in ATL, we have an over abundance of pilots now. With the loss of the EMB120's, and no additional flying to overcome this, there are just too many pilots now. This is a raw deal, especially when you see Delta keep pumping up Chatauqua and SkyWest right under our noses. The promised spectacular growth did not come about, and now were all stuck in a bad spot.

Good luck to all you swimmers. If I were in your shoes, I would try Comair or Chat or SkyWest. It may be a longer wait than you hoped.

ASA has never been very good at managing the size of it's pilot force. It's not really their fault, they just react to what DAL tells them to do. I guess furloughs could be possible. A while back I was hearing a lot of furlough talk, but it never happened.

If we do furlough pilots, it will probably backfire on ASA. They would immediately have a pilot shortage. They would spend insane amounts of money on retraining costs, then suddenly need to hire a bunch of pilots. A short time later, they will have too many pilots on reserve.

What if the Chit pilots strike? Would reducing the size of the ASA pilot force now be a good idea with that on the horizon?

Skip wants to get our contract settled quickly (which is probably one of the reasons Mr. Young is gone), so how would a furlough now help the IBB process? I think the response to a furlough would be a rather nasty campaign of maintenance write-ups.

I went from holding a nap line (stand-up, high speed) in May to reserve in June due to the in-flux of senior E-120 guys...I flew every day but two that I was on reserve. From what I hear, the other reserves did the same...pilot surplus?

Irishman,

In July, there are 135 RJ FO's in DFW. When the EMB guys finish training (probably October/November) there will be over 240. Unless the DFW RJ lines double (from the current 108), I'd say we'll have a surplus.

Frust8td

"So, retiring the E-120 was a great idea because 'why' again?"

Everyone else is doing it with the props, why not ASA too. The way of the industry, no regional is protected. Better watch out, Gulfstream guys/gals will be flying the routes in props while ASA pilots are on the streets...:p

Squirreldog

Living the Dream!:cool:

Everbody calm down and take a deep breath!

This is right from Skip's mouth on the 6/26/03 Captain's Leadership Class.

"Their will be NO furloughs"

"Yes he is proud of the fact that we will not furlough"

"16 CRJ-700s next year plus some CRJ-200s.

"ASA 31 CRJ-700s and Comair 29CRJ-700s"

"Hire 150 pilots for 2004 starting after January"

"RVSM certification is coming, it's mandatory by the end of 2004"

" ACARS is on the self for now due to the 600 milloin dollar cost. Big D is holding on to the cash. It is in the plan and when it comes so will the other FMS head. The Collins 4200 is ACARS capable"

Skip told this to 36 people.

I hope this clears things up.

701EV

So will the cost of RVSM eliminate the threat from B-1900 operaters like Gulfstream? Not to mention the change in pax weights.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but we do have a little over 100 people on military leave. Granted they're coming back, but for now that has to be helping until we get those deliveries this Fall.

Hey 701EV, that's good to hear Skip is saying no furloughs, but most of us have heard this stuff before. When I was hired, we were told we would be Brasillia captains in less than 6 months (RJ Captain in 2 years), 3 RJ's a month would be coming for the next couple years, and that we would be hiring 100 pilots per month. Well, I've been here over 2 years and not one thing we were told came true. Instead I've spent most of my time on reserve at the bottom of the list.

Many of the things listed above are either incorrect or should be breaking news. Comair and ASA have 58 CRJ-700's on order (not the 60 that you said-ASA is getting 31, Comair is getting 27). Not a big deal, but that's right from the Bombardier and Delta websites. That's also news to me that we're getting some CRJ-200's in 2004. According to Delta's annual report, there are no firm orders for ASA or Comair for CRJ-200's in 2004. If some options have been exercised, I would think that would be announced somewhere. Hopefully, there is something in the works, but I'm not holding my breath.

Latest resources

Back