ASA...Furloughs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Frust8td

The August Prelims were posted the other day, and they include all of the displacements for the remainder of the E120 pilots in DFW. And to my surprise a few downgrades from RJ CA to RJ FO. As I count all of the displacements and current positions on the RJ in DFW for ASA, there will be some 244 First Officers and around 150 Captains on the 50 seater in DFW. This will be the staffing level for only a 108 hard lines! That puts ASA at almost 100 extra First Officers in DFW. And if you are a junior E120 captain now, you will probably hold one of the last few hard lines as an FO, that's somewhere between line 90-108, and quite possibly, some might be on Reserve. That's after being with ASA for 2 1/2-3 years! Now that ASA will be grossly overstaffed Comair will be running new hire classes every 2 weeks! Interesting.
ASA will have a net loss of 7 airplanes for the year after the retirement of the E-120. If you're in the hiring pool at ASA, don't count on coming here anytime soon. I would guess conservatively you might get a class date somewhere between 2005-2006! And that's only if we exercise more options for delivery at the end of next year. Because after next year our scheduled aircraft deliveries are over!
So, why did I put "Furloughs?" in the subject line of this posting? If you're a bean counter for an airline during this economy, what else would you do with almost 100 extra First Officers? God, I hope we don't, but we won't get enough airplanes in the next year and a half to utilize our current staffing levels.
It also looks like ASA is having some trouble with aircraft financing too. This can only mean one thing - stagnation.
Over the past couple of months we have been reading memos congratulating us for our professionalism and dedication which have drastically improved ASA's on-time performance and customer service. Yet, our reward(s) is a downgrade, pay cut (some of our pilots up to half their income), and our flying being given away to other airlines.
So, retiring the E-120 was a great idea because 'why' again?

It is always "darkest before dawn". Or, so they say! We should see line expansion in Sept. I hope so, since I'm near the bottom! I predict good things are just down the road. Don't forget we got rid of that d*ck Scott Young just the other day! A minor victory for us pilots, but a victory none the less!! Fly safe and keep the faith (or you will be beaten, ha,ha) Wil

The expansion wont happen because we wont be getting the necessary airplanes to do the flying. Is that a smoke screen for the fact that Delta realizes Chatauqua can do that expansion much cheaper? A punishment for contract negotiations? Oh well. Who knows. I am 115 from the bottom and expect to be furloughed by Sept! So much for leaving another airline to come to ASA for the "promise of a great future!!" At any rate, ASA WILL NOT keep that many spare FO's around. Is it too late to go to Comair?

Is that a smoke screen for the fact that Delta realizes Chatauqua can do that expansion much cheaper? A punishment for contract negotiations?

CHQ might be able to do it cheaper right now, but don't forget, we are in contract neg's also-and we won't bend over and sell out like so many others. 94% vote to strike. Hell, by Sept. you will probably be saying REPUBLIC can do it cheaper...

This downward spiral is common in the majors and regionals. It is amazing to watch this unfold. Mesa was a given, but Skywest surprised me. I hope Chatauqua holds their line and ASA stands strong too. Good luck.

I don't understand. SkyWest votes to hold wages where they are and they are compared to Mesa? At least they didn't ratify concessions like most of the industry has or will!

Not really, they effectively lowered the going rate for 70-seaters numbnutz.

BTW, Skywest pilots didn't ratify anything.. they were given what they have by their management, period.

Not only 70 seaters, but anything up to 99 seats for 50 seat wages. That is huge. Good luck guys.

>>And to my surprise a few downgrades from RJ CA to RJ FO.<<

Surprise? This was quite obvious. Just think, if they let a Capt with a sen number of, lets say, 1000, come over of the EMB to the RJ, the company would have to pay all the guys senior to him who are RJ F/Os with a Capt bid, who couldnt hold Capt on the RJ, 'pass up pay'. Because of this, some current RJ Capts are being pushed back to F/O, its simply a seniority issue, where you are determines where you fall.

Furloughs? Dont count on it. Nice rumor though. Our best time to fulough would have been after Sept 11th and we didnt. Skip is VERY proud of that, and has stated he will do everything in his power not to let that happen.

Latest resources

Back