Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mea Culpa

737 Pylt,

Well, I voted for the TA which included a "B-scale", so I'm as as guilty as anyone. We bought the argument that it was "inevitable" and that we owed nothing to people who were not (as yet) voting members. The alternative would have been larger hits to OUR pocketbooks. Some joked about a future "Revenge of the B-Scalers", and then were shocked, shocked when they allowed our pensions to be terminated, using the same arguments that we had used. Then everyone was amazed when this, in turn, became a major factor in reviving the long-dormant "age 65" push.

An old ALPA official once told me that the union must protect you from the company, from your fellow pilot, and from yourself. Opinions vary as to whether or not ALPA is fulfilling this duty.

Or the elected reps of any democracy can state only a minority particapted therefore the will of the collective is unknown or they are apathetic or they trust my judgement.... Regardless the Rep has carte blanc.....
Apparently your hypocracy knows no bounds. You lament the fact that more did not participate. Yet you cast aside the input from those who did vote. That will really motivate those folks to want to participate again.alpa must die.

I wonder how many more would have participated if JP had not signaled his intentions prior to the vote closing.

That is 30.4% of the membership! Hardly a majority! Oh its the majority of the minority.....

rez, that's a rediculously stupid argument for tossing aside an 11% percent split between those in favor and opposing a change. But I've learned to expect that from you.

ALPA has chosen to ignore the will of the majority at it's own peril. Ask me how I NOW feel about crossing a picket line.

So whats the point here. As 50 yr old I suppose I should have an opinion age 60 but I really don't. However I do respect the ALPA leadership in they know when fight is lost either from inside info from Washington or just reading the writing on the wall so to speak.65 was going to come whether we as ALPA members want it or not. ALPA National wanting to put themselves in a position to maybe craft what Age 65 looks like is not such a bad idea.In fact aren't they supposed to be politically suave on our behalf.

Insult to injury...

This gets even uglier... my sources tell me ALPA wants to change the "one pilot over 60/one under 60" standard that ICAO uses only because the last potential opposition to fast-tracking the change is opposition from the Air Transport Association (i.e. it will cost the member airline's money to have that limitation imposed on them). Get that out of the way and this thing is set to be fast-tracked as sure as the day is long. Two 64 year-old gummers will be legal to be asleep together at the wheel after discussing preferred batteries for their hearing aids. John "Judas" Prater is carpet-bagging, charlatan thief who has secured his position as the biggest sell-out in ALPA's history.

737 Pylt,

Well, I voted for the TA which included a "B-scale", so I'm as as guilty as anyone. We bought the argument that it was "inevitable" and that we owed nothing to people who were not (as yet) voting members. The alternative would have been larger hits to OUR pocketbooks. Some joked about a future "Revenge of the B-Scalers", and then were shocked, shocked when they allowed our pensions to be terminated, using the same arguments that we had used. Then everyone was amazed when this, in turn, became a major factor in reviving the long-dormant "age 65" push.

An old ALPA official once told me that the union must protect you from the company, from your fellow pilot, and from yourself. Opinions vary as to whether or not ALPA is fulfilling this duty.

Tom:
Thanks for the honest answer.
One thing is for sure.......WE are our worst enemy! <sigh>
Management always wins! (ok, so that's 2 things!)
It would appear that ALPA is a dying entity indeed! I almost wonder where this industry is going, and how ANYONE with a sane mind can justify getting into this business any more........

Rez... you sound like a broken record. Please change your tune. So what if we had 100% participation - would it have made any difference? I truly doubt it.

ALPA is outdated and irrelevant.

SlipItIn, Well the big reason for change is to be ICAO compliant so I don't see how they will slip that in.ATA can try if they want but seems i doubt they will get a change.

Ask me how I NOW feel about crossing a picket line.

Ok, I'm asking you. I happen to agree with you that ALPA screwed up on this issue, but how does that affect your feelings about crossing a picket line? ALPA's leadership screwed up, so now you think it's ok to SCAB and screw over your fellow pilots? Please explain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back