Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The beer offer still stands, btw. :beer:

Absolutely, I will continue to go out of my way to tell every Air Tran guy I come in contact with what he/she will be receiving under our rules. That is the Southwest way. I have gone completely out of my way to do that. When I rode your jump seat from DAL to BWI and back last week, everyone went out of their way to make me accommodate me. Like all else, it is a two way street! Even here.

Yes, when the dust settles, we will be on the same team. Just like GK said during the first days of this deal, until it is completed, we are competitors. We have to look out for our OWN best interests. Just like I expressed to you my disgust over remarks made here a few days ago, Atl will be a domicile soon enough. Full of Southwest Pilots from both of the companies. Those pilots will elect reps who will be on the BOD. In the next 10 years or so, pilots from the company formerly known as Air Tran will integrate into all of the committees. Their influence will have direct effect over all of our lives. Until this is done, we all will be looking out to protect our OWN best interests.

The protocol between our M&A comms will be coming out in the next few days and it says that mediation will come before arbitration. Arbitration will be a board of 3. Talks begin in Jan.

Last edited:
When Air Tran becomes a wholey owned subsidiary, DFW won't exist any longer for you guys. All the flying will come through Love Field, as will our flying will start going through ATL.

C'mon...no such thing as a loyal customer I don't care who you are. People and businesses are loyal only to the bottom dollar. Many of the people you think are loyal will be on other carriers tomorrow. No one likes getting screwed or paying more...the service provided at southwest is better but not justified just to fly the name. The reason people fly swa is for the low price!

Southwest has for a very long time pulled a huge market share and been HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL for it. But it has outgrown that "PURITY" or as you identify an ideal "LOYALTY" phase.

Southwest overcharges in many markets...I have taken Airtran, American, and others over Southwest because they were CHEAPER...and the baggage fees still wouldn't come close....no NO LOYALTY!

I have no dog in this fight...but hopefully the merger will expand the low cost structure and bring the new company a huge amount of growth and longevity, and low cost competition....not domination of the market and increase in prices due to LESS COMPETITION.

Regards,

Tex

I respect what you are saying. In the big picture there is such thing as a loyal customer.

So let me get this straight...I'm hearing we don't get a JCBA and we don't get to be part of the transition agreement? What am I missing here? I thought our contract had requirements that had to be followed by successors or whatever! What's the deal?

So let me get this straight...I'm hearing we don't get a JCBA and we don't get to be part of the transition agreement? What am I missing here? I thought our contract had requirements that had to be followed by successors or whatever! What's the deal?

I would ask your reps about that. That doesn't sound right. You have your own contract at AT, and being merged in with someone else, you should have a transition agreement for protection. Also, you want a JCBA so you aren't the B-scale group in the end. Watch out!

LMAO...not only do you think that 6 yr. AAI guys should keep their CA seat over 9 year SWA guys (at least it's somewhere in the universe of plausibility), now you are saying your "senior" F/O's (what is that, 5 yrs?) should upgrade ahead of senior SWA F/O's with 4 yrs. more longevity?!? Ladies and gentleman, Elvis has left the building! (and he took common sense with him when he went)

Amazed and Confused,
PapaWoody

Pappa... I totally agree. There is no way after the agreement no matter what base your at, the top F/O gets the upgrade... it doesn't matter what base they are located, it should be a bid process. If your top man and you bid 717 CPT in ATL... BINGO.. you get your choice. Please don't think all our AT guys are this silly. These are the .5%ers

I would ask your reps about that. That doesn't sound right. You have your own contract at AT, and being merged in with someone else, you should have a transition agreement for protection. Also, you want a JCBA so you aren't the B-scale group in the end. Watch out!

You heard right, its the difference in an acquisition and a merger. Also, throw in that this isn't 2 ALPA carriers and that it really isn't a "plug and play" type combination. A huge difference in size, pay, longevity, qol...etc. so its not really a combination of equals (and i don't mean that as a low blow) jmho.

Also, you want a JCBA so you aren't the B-scale group in the end. Watch out!

As I have been saying.....arbitration is not good for the Airtran folks. SWA will benefit more from arbitration.

You heard right, its the difference in an acquisition and a merger. Also, throw in that this isn't 2 ALPA carriers and that it really isn't a "plug and play" type combination. A huge difference in size, pay, longevity, qol...etc. so its not really a combination of equals

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

You heard right, its the difference in an acquisition and a merger. Also, throw in that this isn't 2 ALPA carriers and that it really isn't a "plug and play" type combination. A huge difference in size, pay, longevity, qol...etc. so its not really a combination of equals (and i don't mean that as a low blow) jmho.

No.

AirTran MEC Officers and Merger Committee have been in Dallas for the last week . They began talks on the Transition Agreement on Monday.

Latest resources

Back