• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LegacyDriver is right in some of his comments about "T". The ones who have left in the past year claim the place is a "funny farm" and the day to day work just wasn't worth it anymore. This (in my opinion) is a direct result of poor leadership below the Director level. The C.P. has to go, period. He is a problem. That was my opinion, and was very much in the discussions I had with those who left. I also like to add karma into the equation. Many who were axed were let go in haste for reasons still as yet unknown to even those still there. The whole thing was a mess from the start. Several who made the cut retired almost as soon as they settled in Dallas. Add that to the fact that the job now entails many more nights away and mediocre pay and guys are just saying "enough". To say the department is in a "heap" is a splendid way of putting it I believe.

I have heard the pay is pretty poor. I think they include bonus and options/shares and call it a total pay package. Which of course every other Fortune 500 does, just pays a much higher base in addition to the bonuses and stock. Rumor has it the politico director was dead set in getting a woman pilot at all costs. When they interviewed An HP woman, she laughed at his package. not sure if he finally got one or not.

THIS IS NOT ANYTHING AGAINST WOMEN PILOTS! WE HAVE SEVERAL AND THEY ARE ALL GREAT,

It is an overall mentality I am referring to. If your attitude is you are getting a $79 rental car for an overnight when the hotel is literally within walking distance then it is a sure bet you're wasting a ton of money elsewhere.

We get rental cars everywhere we go, not matter what. It is because management wants maximum flexibility if the trip changes, not because they care so much about crew comfort.

When they interviewed An HP woman, she laughed at his package.
Snicker. :blush:
And that right there is a large problem in our industry now. The new breed of Aviation Directors and Chief Pilots are lacking in the bulge when it comes to standing up for their guys. They're all a bunch of yes men (and I use the term men loosely).

I have heard the pay is pretty poor. I think they include bonus and options/shares and call it a total pay package. Which of course every other Fortune 500 does, just pays a much higher base in addition to the bonuses and stock. Rumor has it the politico director was dead set in getting a woman pilot at all costs. When they interviewed An HP woman, she laughed at his package. not sure if he finally got one or not.

THIS IS NOT ANYTHING AGAINST WOMEN PILOTS! WE HAVE SEVERAL AND THEY ARE ALL GREAT,

Yes they did, two in fact. To replace two they let go of before. Not sure what that's all about. And yes, the pay package was poor. They did include performance based bonuses and stock. But even that was so-so, and in fact they didn't even get them for a year or two after we left.

I heard from a couple folks about the Asst Chief Pilots. They have 3. The pompous A-Hole recently had 2 glorious screw ups. First he set the rubber jungle free during a pax filled flight on a 900, using the excuse he has been on the 7X to much and hadn't flown the 900 lately. Same guy that preaches checklist discipline.

Next he forces the CEO switch planes after he couldnt start #2......wait for it....the thrust reverser was not stowed. CHECKLIST DISCIPLINE

No wonder folks are fleeing. The guy sounds fairly incompetent.

Is G.P. still there? If so, is he CP or Dept Mgr or ???

The Pope is still there. CP. Saw him on the 7X a couple months back. Had a nice talk with him for a bit.

Saw Nator at FSI. Also saw Heeeyyy on a 900 EASy not too long ago. Talk about heartburn for the sake of guys like CRJ...

Ran into a few others along the way. Glad people still have jobs in this economy.

Last edited:
I heard from a couple folks about the Asst Chief Pilots. They have 3. The pompous A-Hole recently had 2 glorious screw ups. First he set the rubber jungle free during a pax filled flight on a 900, using the excuse he has been on the 7X to much and hadn't flown the 900 lately. Same guy that preaches checklist discipline.

Next he forces the CEO switch planes after he couldnt start #2......wait for it....the thrust reverser was not stowed. CHECKLIST DISCIPLINE

No wonder folks are fleeing. The guy sounds fairly incompetent.

The best management pilot they had didn't want to be one in the first place... Went back to being a line captain after the move. Great, great guy. Nothing but respect for him. Heart of gold.

Latest resources

Back