• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I met a very pompous a-hole once. He introduced himself as the director of AT&T. Now I knew the director, and this guy was definately not him. Turns out he was some 25 year Asst Chief who just thought Joseph Smith had Proclaimed him the next director. Guess it didn't happen, as the politico got the job when he was sent out to pasture.

I met a very pompous a-hole once. He introduced himself as the director of AT&T. Now I knew the director, and this guy was definately not him. Turns out he was some 25 year Asst Chief who just thought Joseph Smith had Proclaimed him the next director. Guess it didn't happen, as the politico got the job when he was sent out to pasture.

Well, don't get me wrong on anything as there are plenty of good people there now. From the original SBC, ATT, Americtech, Bell South, and Cingular.... But in the furlough they let some people go they shoulda kept....and vice versa. Politics was a player. Guys on the street should have been recalled before hiring new people. I think morality has to come into play at some point when you have power over who gets hired, fired, or recalled.

There are some great ex T pilots still looking for work who should be back there. They are really good people. Ethical. Hard working. Astute. I still don't get it.

But too many pilots also ignore the importance of saving money. Flying slower, tankering, or skipping the rental car once in awhile when a hotel shuttle will do. Wasting coin causes the bean counters to overreact and shut it down.

No disrespect, but if the pilots getting a rental car ever play into a department shutting down it never had a chance anyway.

No disrespect, but if the pilots getting a rental car ever play into a department shutting down it never had a chance anyway.

It is an overall mentality I am referring to. If your attitude is you are getting a $79 rental car for an overnight when the hotel is literally within walking distance then it is a sure bet you're wasting a ton of money elsewhere.

It is an overall mentality I am referring to. If your attitude is you are getting a $79 rental car for an overnight when the hotel is literally within walking distance then it is a sure bet you're wasting a ton of money elsewhere.

Not necessarily true... I fly at efficient altitudes and airspeeds, shop fuel prices, tanker from home when it makes sense, negotiate hangar rates, shop insurance coverages, etc. But I also rent a car even if the hotel is within walking distance. You walked and the boss' limo didn't show up in BFE and he missed a meeting because you couldn't get him. Or you had a last minute catering request from the hoagie shop 5 miles from the airport but instead the pax miss out.

I could go on and on about hypotheticals but the point is rental cars don't belong in this discussion. You fly the legacy, right? Why not only eat crackers and pop from the plane? Berth the seats in the back and save hotel costs? Where does it stop?

LegacyDriver said:
I'll take that bet. You have no idea how we run our flight department. You are making isht up and projecting your own mentality on people you don't know.

I'll take that bet. You have no idea how we run our flight department. You are making isht up and projecting your own mentality on people you don't know.

I wasn't speaking of anyone in particular. This conversation went hypothetical long ago.

Last edited:
I hear you, Guido. But perhaps your attitude is rare. Have we not all flown with people who see expensive hotels and cars as an entitlement?

Getting a rental car or not obviously isn't why so many pilots are leaving AT&T. It used to a fairly good job. Pilots stayed there for a career and now it appears pilots are abandoning the place, Creating a revolving door.

Getting a rental car or not obviously isn't why so many pilots are leaving AT&T. It used to a fairly good job. Pilots stayed there for a career and now it appears pilots are abandoning the place, Creating a revolving door.

True, but the department was too big and too expensive. They basically cut it in half for starters... You can imagine the increased workload that would put on those who remain.

People are still staying for a career. The thing is they hire then furlough. Then hire and furlough. Some stay for a career because they're high enough to dodge the axe... There were guys with 12-15 years getting the chop on the first round.

I can only say that a couple of the people I know who left did so because of the things you mentioned. Another few are biding their time so they can retire.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just passing things along that I have been told because you asked.

Latest resources

Back