Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not even throwing stones, but just out of curiosity, was the captain involved in the LGA crash ex-military? I heard that captain was the most avoided captain at SWA.

Actually, she was only the highest avoided in her domicile, OAK. Of course, generally, people only list captains to avoid in their own domicile.

Bubba

Because nowadays they all have four year college degree's.
college degree, college degree, who said college degree? I know lots of guy hired at majors without college degrees.

From my experience, Civilian RJ people know that management is full of BS and they have seen the games that management plays.

Military people seem to be more believing that management will lead them and take care of them. They haven't experienced the games that management plays.

Management likes obedience and clean slates.
That is probably because in the military you have leaders not managers. Where looking out for your people is the golden rule.

Last edited:
college degree, college degree, who said college degree? I know lots of guy hired at majors without college degrees.

That is probably because in the military you have leaders not managers. Where looking out for your people is the golden rule.

Oh crap, here we go with the college thing again.

Sure, but they are typically the ones involved in the accidents.

I have been a captain for 14 years and have flown with my share of military and civilian. You get good and bad from both sources. I believe that in this day and age of aviation, selecting either has no advantages.

I think it goes back farther than that. The person who is picked by the military, didn't just show up in their flight suit and ask if they could fly that jet off the carrier. Their preparation went back probably into grade school as they participated in the types of activities that would make them competitive candidates for military flight training, and that preparation had a definite impact on their character. Civilian pilots who may have had similar character-molding upbringing are probably equally competitive in this respect for an airline job. A pilot whose sole attribute is their logbook makes for a pretty dull resume for HR to consider.

Qualified, undoubtedly; but dull.

From my experience, Civilian RJ people know that management is full of BS and they have seen the games that management plays.

Military people seem to be more believing that management will lead them and take care of them. They haven't experienced the games that management plays.

Management likes obedience and clean slates.
There's a lot of truth to this. Took me five years, a major downturn, and an unwarranted and vindictive furlough to make me realize there's no patriotism in the airline business, just pennies they want to save, mostly from labor. Before furlough, zero sick calls. After furlough, maximum sick calls to comply with company policy. And sometimes I'm actually sick.

Last edited:
I'm curious why all of the majors continue to hire almost exclusively military...

Not from what I've seen, if for no other reason than there aren't that many military guys available anymore.

Are customer skillz unique to 135? I'm sure the hundreds of 121 furloughees post 9-11 did just fine at Netjets and the other frax.

Not unique, but on a different level. And it's something the 135/fractional guys bring to the table others may not.

Latest resources

Back