Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now, you're not suggesting that a certain airline does not provide comprehensive training and therefore contributes to a higher washout rate? Funny, I've heard the same thing. I did notice that that certain airline is acquiring a few FPT's from "Alteon" (wonder where they are getting those from?) to be available in the training center later this year (when another airline no longer needs them). BTW, a female was promoted in the training dept., oh the humanity! Somebody is moving into the latter part of the 20th century ;) .

I was actually referring to some lower tier cargo operators vs Majors etc. The former sometimes have a somewhat old school training program. Often backed by antiquated attitudes.

An amusing example - my Lear 23 check ride and training was all done in the airplane, by the boss who was also the examiner. He had giant hands that looked like raw steak. When he yelled saliva was splattered on the instruments and windshield. The V1 cut was interesting.

Yip did bring up a relevant point though - their new hires often have more 'varied backgrounds'.

Well, I don't fault lower-tier companies for providing training that does not meet Legacy-121 quality. The money to do it is just not there.

So, you have to rely more heavily on hiring quality people. But the flip side of this coin is that with a small pilot pool, it is easier to be more selective.

It all comes down to safety record, and some of these "low tier" carriers have surprisingly good safety records.

Also,

Civilian pilots seem to be quite OK with saying that "it all depends on the pilot" as to who is "better".

Many military pilots seem to have a deep and abiding need to be "better" than civilian pilots. This strikes me as a manifestation of some sort of insecurity. Such is the nature of elitism.

I always enjoyed my years teaching in sims. It was especially delicious to watch a cocky grad from, oh, say, Embry Riddle get his a-- handed to him by some guy who learned to fly at the local flight school, and may have had less total time.

The insecure man will try to ride the coattails of his training pedigree, or whatever. But the man who knows himself will put his skills and knowledge to the test in a fair comparison, and fearlessly.

Put me in a fighter aircraft, and the worst fighter pilot in the military will defeat me.

Put a fighter pilot in a transport category airplane and start failing systems in low weather, and who would you rather have at wheel? Him, or a 10,000 hour regional captain?

If you say a fresh off the boat military guy, then you're lying.

As an Air Force pilot I can assure everyone I am the best pilot on the planet. And I am certainly far superior in every way to others that flew for the other branches of service.

Last edited:
Put a fighter pilot in a transport category airplane and start failing systems in low weather, and who would you rather have at wheel? Him, or a 10,000 hour regional captain?

If you say a fresh off the boat military guy, then you're lying.

After training it's a toss up dude.

I have landed in zero zero conditions, you have not, not counting Cat III auto pilot.

Latest resources

Back