Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Many airlines want the freshest meat possible in their organization. This way their training doctrines and corporate culture are introduced in the new hires primacy of 121 flying. Military pilots are highly malleable. They are also less familiar with the unions, politics and business side of flying. Also look at supply and demand. Many military pilots were "encouraged" to stay in the military over the last ten years to help support the two front war. During this time frame the LCC's were expanding and hiring, the Legacies were restructuring. Now the military has reduced it's demand and the legacies are retiring pilots finally.

I would venture to say that 90% of the problem childs and pilots that no one wants to fly with are ex fighter guys. And god forbid if a cloud is on the horizon!

Most of the military guys I fly with are great...but of all the guys on the avoidance bid they are all military...ask any fo....

I think they are hired because flight ops management is all ex military. They keep recruiting their own. Plus they are more likely to be yes men at first when it comes to unions and contracts...they don't stand up to their superiors. And they make serengettis, combovers and rope belts look damn good!

Too bad the customer service skills required in the 135/fractional world don't seem to factor in as much in the 121 hiring process.

Are customer skillz unique to 135? I'm sure the hundreds of 121 furloughees post 9-11 did just fine at Netjets and the other frax.

I know from our experience the training failure rate for military trained pilots is far below that of the civilian source pilots that we have hired.
I'm curious what type of training you are doing? At my airline I can't imagine our training failure rate is above 1%.

I know from our experience the training failure rate for military trained pilots is far below that of the civilian source pilots that we have hired. The military's weeding out process eliminates a lot of guys in training; I would guess much more than a civilian training program.

Because nowadays they all have four year college degree's.

I think she was civilian

And not throwing stones, but every other incident at SWA was military...

:-/

From my experience, Civilian RJ people know that management is full of BS and they have seen the games that management plays.

Military people seem to be more believing that management will lead them and take care of them. They haven't experienced the games that management plays.

Management likes obedience and clean slates.

Latest resources

Back