TWA 800 Opinion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mopac said:
As far as the Navy cover up, there aren't too many windows on a missile frigate. Out of a crew of maybe 350, there were maybe a handful of eyes outside, i.e. the bridge? Everybody else is deep below deck in the CIC,powerplant etc. Just possibly, not too many people to keep quiet.

Yeah, but when a missile jumps off the rails, everybody on the boat knows about it. The guys in CIC have no windows, but who fires and watches the missile? The guys in CIC, duh. The guys on the bridge are mostly enlisted personnel, and odds are one or more are disgruntled. Instead of seeing the world, some Cleetus from Nebraska is helming a tin-can around Long Island... you think he's gonna buy into a cover-up, when he could sell his story for hundreds of thousands to 20/20 or Dateline?

Mopac said:
From a person related to one of the TWAers on that flight. Raytheon was testing a prototype surface to air interceptor missile. The Navy had Scud from the first Iraq War that they used as a target drone. The new missile's primary tracking system failed and it reverted to heat seeking. The closest heat source: 800.
quote]

Oh good grief. I've heard some nutcase conspiracies around TWA 800 but this tops the list. Since when does anybody test new surface to air missile systems near one of the largest cities in the world among the busiest air corridors in the world? And where was this supposed Scud launched from? And a prototype missile suffers a failure in its primary tracking system and is allowed to revert to some back up mode that randomly acquires the first heat source it sees and guides to it?!? Suuure. And even if such a plan did slip past the hundreds of technicians and experts designed to filter out such stupidity, that is one weapon system I'd want no part of. We're not in the habit of employing weapons whose failure mode is to randomly acquire and guide to the first heat source they find in a several mile area. There is just a slight difference in heat signatures between a ballistic missile and a 747. Missile seeker technology has advanced just a little beyond the Helen Keller stage of shoot and hope. But, I suppose if this supposed "new" technology is something actually being pursued, we could always just ensure all our aircraft are on the ground before we launch any of these beauties.

But hey, if someone who was related to someone on TWA 800 actually said this....it must be true.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily buying into this whole Scud/Interceptor missile test either. It seems a little outlandish. However, like I said before, it's interesting that about 200 ft of wing and four engines are never seen with the rest of the carcass in that NTSB hangar that's now used for training purposes.

I don't claim to know what happened. But when the NTSB/FBI starts using CIA created computer animations to explain things (things that don't follow the laws of physics)...that is when you know things are severely messed up.

ATRedneck said:
The guys on the bridge are mostly enlisted personnel, and odds are one or more are disgruntled.
Lack of gruntle is no reason to be shooting missiles at airliners.

Everybody go read, "The Closing of the American Mind."

It's the new millenium: not "What is Right," but "Is There a Right".....

The navy test firing radar missles which revert to IR in the busiest airspace in the US. Yeah, that makes sense.

It was a spark from the left strobe light that ignited the chemtrail from the Delta flight ahead.

NO, I dont think you understand. The reported missle sightings in the Long Island area by a few airline crews was reported the day before flight 800 went down. Many witnesses watched the missle fly from the surface to the aircraft. Big time cover up, just like Oak city in my opinion.

Latest resources

Back