• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TWA 800 Opinion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey man, don't bash World Daily Net. Now you have gone too far.

I believe it was mechanical. Weird things happen that Boeing engineers say are "impossible" such as the 737 rudder; then they happen. Remember when the United went down and everyone rumoured it was a lover's quarrel murder/suicide? People want to believe the prurient/illegal/exciting stuff before something as boring as a spark. Like alien abduction.

With that said, let's examine residue, IF a missile was involved: No warhead residue would be found because most test missiles have a telemetry package rather than a warhead. But there would be propellant residue from the motor that could easily survive submerging for a long time. Salts of aluminum, organic binders, stuff like that are not water soluble, and tests can find incredibly small amounts. Pieces of the missile WOULD be found in the wreckage, and the alloy would be different and readily identifiable from the airframe.

The military does not do live fire tests unless the test area is absolutely clear, and they go to great lengths to verify this. The airspace would be closed, and ATC would be notified. The area south of Panama City, W-470A, is one such hot-fire area. Good luck getting anywhere near that area when it is active.

Those who say "Yeah but the military can keep a secret"... not this type of secret. I'd blow the whistle myself, as would hundreds of others. How about the Vincennes? There's an event that would in theory be kept secret, yet it came right out.

What actually happened is that the secret missile "witnessed" by so many, missed TWA 800. It then entered a hold at 120,000 feet, circled for a few years, then went for the Pentagon on 9/11.

If you remember, the NY/NJPA fought with the NTSB (what few that were on the scene) over who had rights to the evidence and then the FBI immediately declared the "crash site" a crime scene and took over all wreckage as evidence. SOP requires that no one that's not part of the FBI is allowed anywhere near the wreckage.

Later the FBI backed off and turned it over to the NTSB.

Engines are usually kept separate from wreckage and taken to different labs for analysis. They will usually end up back at the manufacturer somewhere along the investigation chain.

Gorilla said:
People want to believe the prurient/illegal/exciting stuff before something as boring as a spark. Like alien abduction.

Okay, here's what really happened:

On the set of Walker, Texas Ranger Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked so fast that his foot broke the speed of light. According to Stephen Hawking, there is a wormhole between the coast of Long Island and the sound stage in Dallas where Walker was filmed. Chuck Norris' foot entered the wormhole and kicked TWA 800 instead of the stuntman.

Say Again Over said:
So I have to have military time to be in the military? :eek:

Yes. Or at least fired a few missiles and dropped a few bombs (f-bombs in church, dinner or couples therapy do not count).

My point so eloquently stated by others: ain't no way the military could cover this up ... wait ... sorry, gotta go. I hear a black helicopter outside.

ATRedneck said:
Okay, here's what really happened:

On the set of Walker, Texas Ranger Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked so fast that his foot broke the speed of light. According to Stephen Hawking, there is a wormhole between the coast of Long Island and the sound stage in Dallas where Walker was filmed. Chuck Norris' foot entered the wormhole and kicked TWA 800 instead of the stuntman.

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

the military is the easiest place to keep secrets quiet. civilians are far less likely to stay loyal than military members. its drilled into you from day one at boot camp

big_al said:
the military is the easiest place to keep secrets quiet. civilians are far less likely to stay loyal than military members. its drilled into you from day one at boot camp

They couldn't cover up the Vincennes shooting down an Iranian Airbus for so much as a few hours. What makes you think they could keep TWA under wraps?

You'd have to have a ship completely full of mindless drones. Do you honestly think that in a ship's crew, there's not at least one sailor who's sorry he enlisted?

Every enlisted soldier, airman, sailor, or Marine has felt misled by his recruiter at some point. There's at least one guy working in the mess, or cleaning the head, who envisioned his stint in the Navy seeing the world and having drunken nights on shore leave, getting tattoos and chasing underaged Thai prostitutes. But instead he's scrubbing the soup pots (or the urinals) on some dinky tin can off of Long Island.

You honestly think they're gonna keep him quiet? He feels that the Navy owes him for two wasted years of his life, and you think that he's not gonna cash in by selling his story to Dateline?

So where is that guy, anyway? Is he going to wait a few more years so the drama can build some more? Hell no. If he existed, he would've spilled his guts years ago.

ATRedneck said:
Every enlisted soldier, airman, sailor, or Marine has felt misled by his recruiter at some point.
Nope...that's not true. I wasn't mislead, nor was I lied to. My Navy recruiter was probably the most truthfull mfker I ever met.

Latest resources

Back