Top Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lane C.C.

I'll throw in a plug about what I've heard is another good program. I have a friend with the FAA who used to rave about the aviation program at Lane Community College in Portland. She was the POI for this program. Even though she is with the FAA :) , she's one of my best friends in aviation, is a great pilot and instructor, and 100% credible. So, while I don't have first-hand knowledge of the Lane program, from what my friend has said, I don't hesitate passing along this plug.

Which continues to prove there are other good flight programs besides Riddle and FSI that will get you started and help you get there. Choose what is best for you.

OH YEAH! Well, MY Dad can beat up YOUR Dad . . .

The original poster didn't mention if they wanted a college degree or not. If so, as stated before, there are plenty of good colleges with aviation programs and all will drain the pocket book. As for flying schools, several have hit it on the nose. The best schools in the world have great instructors and crappy instructors. Aviation knowledge will come from your ground schools. I went to a large 141 school that swamped us with knowledge that I thought I would never need. I was wrong. That education was invaluable.

If you want a good aviation education it will cost you. If you spend a great deal of time listening to people like us, the only lesson you will learn is that there are many good schools out there. All of which have good and bad instructors. If you get a bad one, demand a change as soon as you know. Remember, they all cost a lot of money and they won't want to lose yours. They will give you a new instructor. Before you spend too much time looking for the discount school of your dreams, remember..."You get what you pay for!"

p.s. I have never had an employer ask about or comment on my aviation school.:cool:

I debated heavily even bothering to reply to this thread since its obvious intent was to start a flame war, but then I thought what the heck.

It's well known and well documented that you do not need a degree from ERAU, UND, Purdue, etc. in order to realize your goals in aviation. The same outcome can be achieved by attending a state university and obtaining your certificates from a local FBO for a fraction of the cost. However, being a 2000 ERAU alumnus myself, I have seen firsthand that being a product of these institutions can enhance your aviation career, although not necessarily guarantee your success.

I have numerous friends who took advantage of the "bridge" programs and are now flying for the regionals. Most of them are fine individuals and top notch pilots who probably would have succeeded without the programs eventually. Having said that, I'd also like to say that these programs have always left a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps it's an antiquated view, but I have always tried to work hard and earn my place in the world. My grandfather started as a welder with a natural gas company in 1950 and retired in 1990 as its Vice President of Operations. His success in life has always been the barometer that I compare my own to. I decided early on that I would try to match this ethic in my own career as a pilot. I don't feel that instructing for a minimal amount of time and riding around with friends in a Seminole or Seneca gives one the proper amount of experience or confidence needed to fly a very high performance jet with dozens of lives in the back dependent on the pilots' abilities to safely accomplish the flight. I get much more satisfaction knowing that I'm capable of flying a 180 knot twin by myself in hard IFR. Someday, when the economy has improved and I have plenty of solid experience, I hope to make the next career move that puts me into the right seat of a regional airliner, but not before.

The advantages of attending ERAU include obtaining a solid aviation education, building a large network of fellow pilots, and "name brand recognition".

The disadvantages include the high amount of debt incurred (nope, Daddy didn't pay...sorry to disappoint the flamethrowers), as well as "name brand recognition". How's that for a Catch 22?

I have a younger brother who is now preparing to embark on his own journey as a professional pilot. I have used my own situation to guide him and help him make the best decisions through my own 20/20 hindsight. I was his flight instructor for his Private certificate at a Part 61 school (worthy of a whole other thread). In addition, I recommended to him that he attend a community college to get a lot of the general classes out of the way, which he has done and is getting ready to graduate from with an A.S. in Aviation. He will also be attending ATP to finish all of his other ratings and then transferring to ERAU in the fall. I feel that this is a good tradeoff, and allows all of the advantages and few disadvantages. I only wish I had a time machine so that I could do it the same way...

Never was a part of the flight team. They, too, always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Guess I'd better start using Tic-Tacs, huh?

Anyway, that's my $.02...I suspect I'll probably get flamed for some of my comments, but oh well. Good luck and safe flying to all...

Later,
KingAirKiddo

You must be a dorky pilot if you respond to this thread............and Since 1926 I bet you are itching to wear a nomax flight suit with fire retardent gloves while flying your 172. I fly with your types all the time and want to shove my foot so far up there a$$es that they could tie my shoe with there tounge.

Later days, and I hope you dont apply to Mesaba.

AUBURN!!!

I am not about to flame anyone. I want to put a plug in for my alma matter, though. Most people think of Auburn as a big Football school in the South. It is, but it also has a great aviation program that prepares you for the contingency the flying jobs are gone or your health deteriorates etc. The nice thing about AU is that it offers the full COLLEGE EXPERIENCE. You can utilize their flight school or go down the road like I did. You can major in avitaon or education or physics or mechanical engineering or pretty much anything you want. They have internships with many airlines and most grads find employment easily after graduation.

For guys, the best part is GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!!

I know that sounds shallow but what are you looking for in your late teens and early 20's. Auburn was 51% Women when I graduated in 97 which equated to about 13000 women.

Auburn does have the flight team folks who sleep in their raybans and leather coats at night but they got some pretty down to earth folks in the aviation department as well.

I did my flying at a part 61 flight school as opposed to the University's just because I had always flown that way and the flight school owner treated us very well.

By my senior year I had 1700 hrs and 300 multi and thanks to an Auburn professor's connections, I landed a great job at ACA. After 5 years, with no regrets, at ACA, I am going to Southwest. I could not have done this without the connections I made at Auburn.

I am not trying to brag about myself in any way but I figured It was a good example of an Auburn success story that is one of many.

Everyone needs to find the place to fit their mold. I work with pilots from all over the country and can say everyone has got something to say about everyone and every place. Only you can visit the schools yourself and make YOUR decision.

Good Luck!

Thanks jball2,

Now thats a good post about a positive experience at an aviation school.

Latest resources

Back