Top Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jball,
i envy you. what i would give to go back and have a real college experience with women. oh well, at least spring break is right around the corner and it looks like i'll be here for that.

The best?

I am very lucky to have an older brother to help me along the path to a carrier in aviation. He is an FO for an Air Whiskey 328 in Chicago, and he went to the same school I am going to. Its a great school, with good pilots/friends. Most important thing of all outstanding flight instructors, the majority of which where trained at the school. The school is a community college with an aviation program, relatively low costs. The one drawback I've run across is the school's location, Douglas, AZ. The jewel of southeast Arizona.
Oh yeah, the name of the school is Cochise College.
A good flight school is one that doesn't rob you blind, gives you what you've earner, and provides the necessary tools to help you achieve your goals.

Hello all

Just want to interject here, partly in an effort to dissuade folks just starting out from making a big mistake. Please do not assume that a career in aviation must start at one of these "aviation universities". Don't limit yourself like that. Not that they are bad....just consider your BEST option when choosing a college (cause we all need that college degree, not just to "get a job" but for the education). ERAU, UND, etc. are good schools, no doubt, but they are not the end all be all of aviation education. Don't let talk of their "connections" convince you. I went to one of the top twenty colleges in the nation, got a degree in English Lit, and got the same internship that ERAU, UND, etc. advertise. Most of the other interns (the ones from the programs) are good folks and seem to be good pilots, but there was the occasional clown among them. There were some awful attitudes, too. Some of these people really believe that the company owes them something because they went throught "the program". Some believe they were given a shot at an airline job with 600 hours because attending one of these aviation universities has crafted them into above average pilots. Some find out the hard way that there are no gaurantees; that it all really comes down to hard work and dedications, not a school's "connections".

I did all my training part 61. Spent probably less that 1/4 what one might shell out at ERAU. And here I am. And I went to a great school, got a great education, and had the time of my life. There is, after all, life outside of aviation. Hell, I look foreward to my time off if you can believe it. Lots of good fishing in this part of the country. Don't let aviation rule your life. It's still a job, even if it is tons of fun. Think about going to college for the sake of GOING TO COLLEGE. Your career can wait, I promise.

And for the record, I've met a few of those flight team jockeys. I'd rather take a dump on my own forehead than hang out with some of those clowns.

Cochise College

Cochise College in Arizona has had a flight program for many years and has a good reputation. Douglas, Arizona, isn't exactly the garden spot, though.

Auburn is the place! They offer majors in just about every field, business, veterinary medicine, engineering, pharmacy etc. etc.. Girls are plentiful and for the most part very easy on the eyes. Great sports teams and parties. More CEO's of Fortune 500 companies than any other southern school except I believe Duke. R.O.T.C. program is top notch for those interested in the military path. Auburn is a good place to get a well rounded education and experience what college life is all about. Dont forget to visit the War Eagle Supper Club if you ever visit.

Many Delta Airlines pilots graduated from Auburn. I talked to a Delta 757 copilot that was an Auburn grad and highly recommended the program. You will get a more well-rounded college experience there than a Riddle, UND, but then again those are good flying colleges and give you the resources for success in this competitive industry. My brother got hired by American Airlines at age 25 without any internships and a degree from a state college in New York. He was a private pilot since his senior year of high school and flew on weekends his first two years of college. Then during the last two summers of college he went full time to flight schools down south and came out with all his ratings to start of his senior year of college plus about 75 hrs multi. From there he instructed part time his senior year and graduated with around 600TT/100 multi. Upon graduation he went to Arizona to instruct at Accelerated Flight Crew Training, where he previously earned his Commercial Multi and MEI ratings. This school had all twin engine Apaches so he was logging all multi time. In 6 months he was up to 1300TT/800 multi and got hired on with Comair at 22 1/2. 3 years there and then got on with American at 25 1/2. The key is to work your butt off during your college years and a few years after and youll be seeing success by age 30 in whatever realm of aviation you want to embark on. Good luck wherever you go!

More food for thought

Good post. Interesting points, but it also helps a little if the airlines are in hiring mode, as we saw during the latter part of the '90s. If there is no hiring, everyone is mired in the muck while the clock ticks. Some people try for years to get that airline job and never get hired. It helps to have luck on your side, too. Without luck, you could be Class Member Number 1 at Top Gun at Nellis and still not get hired.

They say that all things cometh to he who waiteth . . while he worketh like he11 while he waiteth. Sometimes.

I hate to break it the kids still attending ERAU who think they are the "greatesth"...but ERAU isn't the center of the universe and no, the sun does not revolve around you. I'm sure there are a lot of levelheaded people at ERAU but the majority of the ERAU people on this board are arrogant, egotistical, and obtuse. I went to Parks College of Saint Louis University. It's a small school. The people on our flight team were total prima donnas...not necassarily the best pilots by any means. Just the ones that kiss butt the most. Private schools are also not that expensive once you figure in grants and scholarships. I paid my own way and graduated with less than 25k in loans. The only in state school for me (Wisconsin) was Winona State and I wasn't impressed with the school so I chose to attend out of state. Even with my non-ERAU education, I managed to land a job at Great Lakes shortly after graduation (with low flight time). I spent my time there and moved onto a more stable (pre 9/11) carrier (AWAC...which is essentially a bunch Lakers anyways). Interships are a great thing that Embry-Riddle has. Lots of schools have internships. Many offer guaranteed interviews. But a guaranteed interview is a bit different than an interview they have chosen to give to an applicant. They are interviewing you because they have to...not because they "want" you. The only way to get a job is to know how to sell yourself. Going to parties, socializing, "getting laid", etc. helps you to grow as a person. You become a more rounded person I believe which will help you sell yourself at an interview. Of course this could all be a lack of braincells due to indulging in alcohol and the fairer sex when I should have been playing with my E6B. DOH!
Just my $1.50 and a ham san'wich

AWACoff said:
The only way to get a job is to know how to sell yourself. Going to parties, socializing, "getting laid", etc. helps you to grow as a person. You become a more rounded person I believe which will help you sell yourself at an interview. Of course this could all be a lack of braincells due to indulging in alcohol and the fairer sex when I should have been playing with my E6B. DOH!
Just my $1.50 and a ham san'wich [/B]

AWACoff is obviously a smart man. May be you should have been a high school/college guidance counselor!

Latest resources

Back