• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Top Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the last time. IT DOESNT NOT MATTER WHERE YOU WENT TO COLLEGE OR RECEIVED YOUR FLIGHT TRAINING. All successful stockbrokers on Wall Street did not go to UPenn, Duke, Stanford, etc. I bet there are tons who went to colleges like Beaver College, Chico State, Siena, etc. Its how hard you work. Once you are at a regional you are equal to the guy next to you, regardless of what college or flight school he went to. The only advantage an ER grad may have is an internship connection. But you can meet airline pilots on your own and get recommendations from them. My .02 once again.

Not to rattle any cages, but Spartan School of Aeronautics in Tulsa, OK gave me solid training. The only fault I had was upper mange and the fact they completely changed aircraft twice while I was there. They've got a long history going back to training WWII pilots. School logo was also a sqd patch from the same era. They are cheaper than ERU, FSI, COMAIR. The way the classes are set up make it a lot easier to schedule flight time and working (if you have to do that).

Like some one said before just my .02 worth.

I completely agree, when I attended Sierra Academy in Oakland I too thought I, and it, was the you-know-what, but now I'm in the real world of aviation I have realised that it doesn't mean much - its you as a pilot and a person that matters. The training was good but expensive and all you are is a big dollar sign. Its funny now when I go back to see buddy's who are instructing there still, and some instructers won't even talk to you just cause you don't wear little silver epalettes! It doesn't make you a better pilot just because you know the ATIS frequency at 3 airports by heart. Choose a flight school by talking to people who attended the place and have moved on - they have a wider perspective and its something I should have done.

I completely agree, when I attended Sierra Academy in Oakland I too thought I, and it, was the you-know-what, but now I'm in the real world of aviation I have realised that it doesn't mean much - its you as a pilot and a person that matters. The training was good but expensive and all you are is a big dollar sign. Its funny now when I go back to see buddy's who are instructing there still, and some instructers won't even talk to you just cause you don't wear little silver epalettes! It doesn't make you a better pilot just because you know the ATIS frequency at 3 airports by heart. Choose a flight school by talking to people who attended the place and have moved on - they have a wider perspective and its something I should have done.

I suppose I will throw in my two cents as well. From what I have seen, a degree is a degree is a degree. I have never heard of anyone not getting a job because thier degree wasn't in aviation. In my new hire class, we had a range of people from master's degrees to high school diplomas taking courses via the internet. Find a good flight school with half-way decent aircraft and a good instructor. Get a degree in what interests you at what ever school works for you. From there your training is what you make of it. Get a library card and an ASA catalog. There are enough books there to provide all the academic knowledge you will need. The only difference between a person who does this and a Riddle/UND grad is the ink on the diploma and the size of the student loan payments. In a way, it goes back to the old line about "What do they call the guy who graduated last in his class at medical school? ..........Doctor". Good luck and fly safe.

By going to a non-aviation college it will naturally be more difficult to find time to study aviation when you are overwhelmed with other courses in your major area of study. To ensure your proficiency is maintained while attending a non-aviation college you need to find time to fly on weekends and setup set times to "stay in the books" and sustain and enhance your aviation knowledge. During the summer months back at home fly, fly, fly and read all you can about flying. As well as pursue further ratings. Its hard work to do it like this, but you will end up as equal as anyone else after you graduate if you can keep this disciplined. Instructing part time senior year is great if the school near you college will hire you :) Good luck to all.

Latest resources

Back