• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Top Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
listen up, i know im about to get bashed pretty hard, but i go to these flight meetings, im not a hard core flight team member but i think they are fun to go to. i could careless if i ,or nsu for that matter, wins anything. maybe it sounds stupid for people that fly airplanes bigger than a 152, but for a small timers that go to small podunk universities its not that bad. oh yeah, one more thing I'M NOT GAY!!!

Stage Checks

I must agree with a poster from way back in the thread that the portions dealing with flight teams are inane. I realize I added a comment above about flight teams. I will say, though, that one of my students at Riddle was a flight team member who won the NIFA instrument flying competition. I take no credit for that; he was already sharp when I got him. This same student eventually got on with Mesa and made Captain at its operation in Ohio - can't remember the specific airline - perhaps Skyway.

Scheduling stage checks at both Riddle and FSI really was no problem. Both schools had plenty of stage check pilots to go around. I checked pilots at both schools. Riddle stage checks were indeed known to be brutal. I think politics really played a role. Also, many Riddle stage check pilots were really not mature enough to handle the role fairly. I can say that because I was pushing 40 when I gave stage checks at Riddle. I gave pre-stage checks at FSI. A couple of the FSI stage check pilots could be hardasses, but one was very fair with one of my students. I recall that he was having trouble with his oral and instead of outright unsatting him, she let him take a break so he could gather his wits. I appreciated that.

The flight team "discussion" aside, this hasn't been a bad thread. Riddle isn't everyone's cup of tea. Neither is FSI. Choose what's best for your needs, but be sure to get that degree.

Last edited:
For you ERAU/FSI guys: What are you paying per month for your student loans? Just curious. I'm just wondering if there's anything left for food after your flight school bills.

General tso: good chicken.

General's post is the only well thought out pro-ERAU post that I've seen on this board. When I was up at Riddle, the flight team was a joke to everyone also. They wore their little jackets with "Golden Eagles" emblazoned on them and walked around like they were the coolest. They were also the ones who went to the Prescott High School football games to pick up chicks. If you do want to go to Riddle, the General's way is the best way to do it. It's still going to be more expensive than public school, but you will still save several thousand on your flight training, and not have to put up with the "Riddle run-around" at the top-heavy, over-bureaucratic flight school. I hate to just repeat everything he said, but he also makes great points that whatever they tell you about direct-hire programs, they are full of it, and the Riddle degree does not carry the prestige in the industry that Riddle grads would like to think it does. The actual (non-aviation) classes at the Universtiy were very good, and the small-school feel was really nice.

I would still recommend getting a non-aviation degree. Maybe Aerospace or computer Engineering if you can hack it. But congrats to the General. Excellent post!

pretty disgusting!

Well, I though I could gain a little insight on other schools by reading this thread. All I've seen is bashing. So I'll throw a couple of points out there:

1-Background: I did two years of college at U of Alaska aviation program while flying for a 121/135 commuter. Switched to ERAU extended campus to finish. They gave me credit for my two years and ratings. I think I did about 40ish credits with ERAU.

2-The instructors I had at both schools were outstanding. What I liked most was that all classes that weren't aviation driven (calculus, physics, etc.) were still taught using aviation examples. The reason I preferred this was because I have a genuine love of all things aviation and it kept my interest so much that I truly believe my GPA was better because of it. This had a direct impact on my resume.

3-I don't have a problem with people that center everything on aviation, including their degree, because they probably don't have an interest on things such as criminal justice or underwater basket weaving. If you lose your medical there are still a lot of options with an AS degree, such as sim instructing, ground school instructing, aviation college instructing, management, safety, ALPA, AOPA, etc, etc.

4-I think bashing the people that do the flying team thing is both disrespectful, and repulsive. I didn't do it and don't know too much about it, but I'm pretty sure that these kids probably love what they're doing. They probably look at it as a way to better their skills at something they love and also as a way to meet more people. You're right about one thing-they won't do stuff like that at the majors. So WHY NOT do it while you have the chance.
Not everyone can hit a collegiate fastball, so this is an activity that they can participate in. I will say that in no way can you rate an education based on a flying competition.

5-Everyone at the airlines has a different path and story, so there is no best way to get there except stay motivated, focused, and no matter how you do it, GET IT DONE!

6-I am in the guard and without question I can say that it is absolutely the SLOWEST way to get to a major! I think I average about 175 hrs a year flying the F-16. You'll get a little more in heavies, but you won't start getting PIC time until about 3-4 years after you put on the flightsuit. Right now while the majors aren't hiring is the time for regional pilots to get that fighter guard slot you want. A guy going to UPT right now can expect to be released for civilian employment in about three years.

Best of luck, and quit calling fellow pilots "gay", unless they really are (not that there's anything "wrong with that").

For what its worth, my humble opinion on this subject is that any 2 or 4yr degree is an asset. Period! It really doesnt matter whether or not its from ERAU or Fudpucker JuCo. Furthermore I feel that Aviation oriented degrees dont always pigeon-hole people in the event of loss of job, medical, or whatever. Anybody worth his salt will find something that suits his or her needs in the event of a unforseen career ending event. (Most pilots I know are some of the most employable people I have ever met. I base this opinion on summer internships at General Motors working on the factory floor, as well as throwing bags at NWA to supplement my income while attending ERAU and then Western Michigan.) Any education is great, get the best one that you can afford! But keep in mind this job isnt really as hard as we let others think that it is. I've flown with guys that got their ratings at some of the worst pilot mills that you can imagine and fly circles around ERAU,FSI,and WMU grads(especially those hetro challenged flight team guys!! geesh what a joke that self absorbed crap is!!) Quality people usually rise to the top and some are hired at majors with degrees in animal husbandry and womens studies with nothing more than local FBO training. Its the person that you develop in to, and the choices you make while you get the boxes checked on your NWA application that really count.
My two cents. Woody

Education

"av8instyle's" Point 3 is really well taken. People indeed forget that one can do so much more with an Aeronautical Science degree than just bore holes in the sky. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the aviation v. non-aviation degree debate that we lose sight of the big picture. Everyone wants to have a Plan B. Well, just having a degree from an accredited college is your Plan B.

I once heard that sometimes Aeronautical Science majors have an easier time getting jobs outside of aviation than inside aviation. Think about it. There is some extremely valuable learning obtained from the course. Along with aviation-type courses, AS majors at Riddle were required to take physics, math and, my real favorite, Technical Writing. Consider what you can do with that training. In aviation, write manuals and training pieces. In industry, write descriptive pieces on machinery so that Joe 4th grader can understand it. Just a couple of examples.

I like an Aeronautical Science degree. If I had it to do all over, I would have earned a second B.S. in Aero Science. Once again, the important point is to earn a degree, in something.

Since 1926 said:
Embry-Riddle is hands down the best of the best. The rigorous academic program along with the numerous internships and direct-hire programs are what makes it numero uno. UND may have a good program, but they don't even come close to ERAU.

If you think those three things propel ERAU ahead, you should research the other programs a little more. BFD.

SheGaveMeClap said:
How can you guys possibly equate the best flight training and college education to who wins that silly little flying competition? I have a former student at UND and according to him, all of the guys on that flight team get made fun of. Sounds to me like they were the little guys that got beat up all the time on the playground.

It's not quite that bad, but that's somewhat close. Too much of the wrong kind of time on their hands, IMO. When the coach says you shouldn't join if you care about your GPA, that's when it's time to run, if you ask me.

Re: compitition

NSUDemon said:
last year nsu's flight team went to grand forks, nd for the national flight team meet, it seems to me it was a place for und to flaunt their 60 billion planes, but thats just me. the safecon meets are the "best" pilots for every university with a flight program, they have ground events(i.e. who can work the almighty E6b the quickest, aircraft id, scan which is the far-aim test) and flying events(such as the"bomb drop and precision landing).

It's more like 100 planes, but who's counting. Maybe it's different at your institution, but in my neck of the woods, the best pilots aren't on the team...necessarily. The people on the team try out, they aren't selected. I know terrific pilots who don't even bother to try out.

Latest resources

Back