• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Removes B737 Type Requirment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You got a bump in relative seniority which equals increased bidding power. Is it worth much? No. But it's not worth nothing, either.

No, it's worth nothing to them. They are bidding against the same guys they have been for the past 20+ years. They couldn't care less about who is junior to them, it makes no difference.

No, it's worth nothing to them. They are bidding against the same guys they have been for the past 20+ years. They couldn't care less about who is junior to them, it makes no difference.

Depending on your base, 3% global seniority bump could equate to MINUS 7-10% in base.

Depending on your base, 3% global seniority bump could equate to MINUS 7-10% in base.

Not for the top 1/3 of the seniority list, they were not affected at all. I agree that the bottom 2/3 who got a small seniority bump overall may now be farther down the list in their own base. Obviously MCO, BWI, MDW would be the hardest hit for a pilot. That 3% global would indeed be a 7-10% loss in your base. What was that "no Southwest pilot would be harmed" crap again? :rolleyes:

Not for the top 1/3 of the seniority list, they were not affected at all. I agree that the bottom 2/3 who got a small seniority bump overall may now be farther down the list in their own base. Obviously MCO, BWI, MDW would be the hardest hit for a pilot. That 3% global would indeed be a 7-10% loss in your base. What was that "no Southwest pilot would be harmed" crap again? :rolleyes:

This is a true statement. Amazing how it's impossible for some people to recognize others misfortunes, simply say "damn. That sucks dude. Sorry". And move on. ATL is starting to grow again. FATs are going through upgrade. Except for USair, you just don't see other merged airlines reliving the civil war on here.

Amazing how it's impossible for some people to recognize others misfortunes, simply say "damn. That sucks dude. Sorry".

I don't hear it too often I have to say.

I went from $178./hr to $155./hr

Anyone that doesn't get that- doesn't want to get it.

Not bitching, just stating the facts.

I also lost my on-line commute, and get to spend a couple of more days each month in a commuter hotel.

Not b!tching, just stating the facts.

What did we get? A more financially secure company, a better work environment, sort of like AirTran was around 2003, when the Contract had amendable for 2 years.

Hard to say for sure which way this one will go.[/QUOT

Welcome to the reality of the industry.
Move to 9 different states to work for 6 different pilot jobs. Start your life over in a new city, new Airline every 3 or 4 yrs.

Ya know what...dig your ipod out of your backpack,insert ear buds..jam on
You deserve it!! you were conceived..therefore entitled!

I went from $178./hr to $155./hr

Anyone that doesn't get that- doesn't want to get it.

Not bitching, just statingy the facts.

I also lost my on-line commute, and get to spend a couple of more days each month in a commuter hotel.

Not b!tching, just stating the facts.

What did we get? A more financially secure company, a better work environment, sort of like AirTran was around 2003, when the Contract had amendable for 2 years.

Hard to say for sure which way this one will go.[/QUOT

Welcome to the reality of the industry.
Move to 9 different states to work for 6 different pilot jobs. Start your life over in a new city, new Airline every 3 or 4 yrs.

Ya know what...dig your ipod out of your backpack,insert ear buds..jam on
You deserve it!! you were conceived..therefore entitled!

I don't own an IPod, or a backpack. I was a lineholding Capt for ten years and lost what I did through a merger. Not sure what dog you have in this, or what your point was, if any, but have yourself another cocktail, and rant on, brutha, it's F.I., afterall....

You shouldn't have lost your seat Ty, that's a given.

But for some to say we (SW) cleaned up is also disingenuous. The only guys that did well were those that upgraded. Those above that gone close to nothing (older carrier), and those below got a small, very small bump in global seniority. No payraise, no stock options...nothing.

I have empathy for those on the other side. There were groups that doubled their salary, those that lost their seats, those that won't upgrade at all, etc. The list goes on and in the end it's over. I hope we, as a group, don't have to go thru that again.

Crocodile tears falling huh Red...
"I hope WE (meaning 'me'), as a group, don't have to go through that again!"

Truly amazing

Last edited:
At Untidy

Notice nothing about that college degree thing
There has not been a college requirement for decades. There are a bunch of folks that were hired here without it, the negative implication in the metrics used for selection, is easily overcome by already being on the property (MX, Dispatch, etc.), lots of PIC time in Large Aircraft with plenty of Total Time (10000 and above), and of course being in any of the special classifications. (Female, Black, Hispanic, etc.)

Latest resources

Back