Surf friendly regional jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hugh Jorgan said:
Easy... we've got ten minutes to call them back and an hour from the time we call them to get to the airport. 3rd dip isn't even an hour from the airport. Therfore, you hang out for another set before paddling in!

You surf 3rd dips? That place is insane. I have only seen it rideable twice and one of those times it was just frightening.

I know you probably know about this website as our dispatchers print it on our WX briefs (which is super cool) but for anybody else this forecast is great. The Heights are "face value" not traditional Hawaiian sizes. http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/Products/SRF.html

Now this is the best thread I've read here.

Duke, thanks for the phone bag link. If I ever end up back on reserve, I'm getting one of those things.

I do envy you Island guys ALOT. I grew up on Oahu and miss it..... North shore, south shore, warm water, no wetsuits, Matsumoto's shave ice, plate lunch, manapua's, huli huli chicken, Zippy's..(actually I hardly ever went to Zippy's)....oh I could go on.

Time to stop day dreaming and grab my long board and head down to 2 ft. Hermosa and pretend I'm in Hawaii!!

Surf well and fly safe!!

I actually don't surf at 3rd Dip, I just don't see myself making that wave on a longboard. I was just using it as an example of the furthest break from the airport that I could think of. You're right, that place is nuts. If it's breaking, then I'm probably somewhere else on the west side. That Pat Caldwell forecast is awesome. We lost it for a couple of months last year and the outcry was huge. I even wrote a letter to the Star Bulletin and was published (my fifteen minutes of fame). Patiently awaiting the next swell due in on Wednesday.....

Hey Easy Spirit: Make sure you get yourself a fanny pack DRY BAG http://www.traveloasis.com/aqfanpac.html to put that thing in when you paddle out. Having the dry bag inside the dry bag double protection ensures you don't trash your cell phone. I also put a little sock inside the fanny pack to absorb any moisture that penetrates the first line of defense. I've got a special ring tone for Dispatch and I won't even open the fanny pack if it's anyone else.

I think 3rd dips is one of those places if you wipe out you are pretty much garans going to take some lickins. The bottom looks just like the shore. I did it once on a bodyboard on around a 3 or 4 foot (hawaiian) day and it was way spooky.

Do you go to makaha on your log? Any West side spots? I like Sandys. Any day, any tide, any swell, flat, sunny, rainy, windy, no matter. I just love being there. I dreamt of it so much when I was stuck on the mainland... I just know how good we got it out there. Sandys rules.

Hugh Jorgan said:
I actually don't surf at 3rd Dip, I just don't see myself making that wave on a longboard. I was just using it as an example of the furthest break from the airport that I could think of. You're right, that place is nuts. If it's breaking, then I'm probably somewhere else on the west side. That Pat Caldwell forecast is awesome. We lost it for a couple of months last year and the outcry was huge. I even wrote a letter to the Star Bulletin and was published (my fifteen minutes of fame). Patiently awaiting the next swell due in on Wednesday.....

Hey Easy Spirit: Make sure you get yourself a fanny pack DRY BAG http://www.traveloasis.com/aqfanpac.html to put that thing in when you paddle out. Having the dry bag inside the dry bag double protection ensures you don't trash your cell phone. I also put a little sock inside the fanny pack to absorb any moisture that penetrates the first line of defense. I've got a special ring tone for Dispatch and I won't even open the fanny pack if it's anyone else.

Where am I,

sorry I have to step in,

Bali is 5 hours from Guam, You would have to get a job with Continental before you could end up in Guam.

There are two airlines there, Freedom Air, based in Guam, used to have one Shorts 3-30, but it was destroyed in the last Typhoon.
Pacific Island Aviation, is based in Saipan, I think no more Guam base, they have Shorts 3-60's(4). but pretty much are full staffed with half Japanese guys and Philipinos.
The CP is a Japanese guy, by the name of Masaki(Mike) Sato.

Guam goes off, world class left at Boat Basin, stand up overhead barrels. Rick's Reek at the base of the Guam Palace Hotel. Unreal rights and very fast, knarly coral.

Be very respectful to the locals...

laters

how'z it Hugh??

sorry I have to step in, Bali is 5 hours from Guam, You would have to get a job with Continental before you could end up in Guam.

4 hours/ 5 hours, it is short trip especially when compared to a flight from the states.

Freedom just got a 360-300 which has been online a couple weeks now to replace the 330. Their pilots are based on Guam, although a few of the guys are commuting from Saipan. There is talk of them getting another 360 or a Sherpa sometime this winter. They might be looking for pilots.

PIA is only Saipan based with 3 aircraft.

Unfortunately the only really good break on Saipan is the outer reef accesible only by boat.

Rick's Reek at the base of the Guam Palace Hotel. Unreal rights and very fast, knarly coral.

Always a good time, your not kidding about the coral, and the inside gets super shallow!

You must be driving a Cherokee for Jaoquin.?

How is Mary? Is she still flying?

I surfed outsuide of Managaha Is. once.

the sacrifice drop-shot

Yeah, Jaime's website is kinda cool. He could sure use spell-check, though, eh? Wait 'til winter rolls around again and you go up there taking off on waves that should go unridden just cuz you know the drop will make a cool pic. I THINK I learned my lesson on that last year, but probably not!

Montauk

Saw on a website that the waves at Montauk are running 4-5. Anyone know a good surf shop to rent long boards from around there. I am guessing ISP is the best airport to jumpseat into.

Any info post or PM me.

Frats,
Humble

Latest resources

Back