Surf friendly regional jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

qwerty

The only thing that makes me happy is surfing.

My freight run right now I can surf everyday.

It seems like flying for Skywest and Island Air you could surf alot, but where else?

Why don't you just quit flying and surf?

Then you'll be able to surf all day long at your leisure. If this doesn't help nothing will.

Island fever...

I have an old instructor/friend who used to fly with Island Air (he's with Aloha now).

He told me when he was on reserve he used to call in and ask if it was ok if he went surfing for a few hours. They'd check and see if they saw any need for him in the near future and said sure, no problem, just call us back when you get out of the water.

Rough life...

How about Cape Air? I know the east coast doesn't have the best waves but there are some beaches on the outer cape (MA) that are ok. Don't forget your wet suit. -Bean:p :p

I can attest to Island Air being a perfect surfing regional job. I surf pretty much every day. I have a Voyageur waterproof cell phone bag http://www.paddlers.com/product.asp?pid=1001909 that I put inside a fanny-pack dry bag, and it works great. Used it on an epic south swell last week and it kept the phone bone-dry in the most demanding of conditions. Not too bad being #1 reserve and surfing stand-up dry barrels. Now, about that perfect National airline surfing job.....you'd have to ask those folks at Hawaiian or Aloha about that.

That cell phone bag is sweet. Now what would you do if you're talking to crew tracking and that killer set at bowls comes in? Do you hang up on crew tracking and go for it?

My buddy flys the etops-200 stuff down to Maj/Kwaj and Midway and stuff. I asked him if there was good surfing at Midway and he gives me this look... He tells me "at Midway we can feed the sharks off the pier".

Inter Island in Hawaii pretty much rules for a surfing job. I used to pray for surf but now I get excited when it goes flat as I have gotten a thing for spearing and free diving.

Then theres the diving in the Marshalls. I NEED to go seeing how I have the month off but no dive partner with AQ bennies.. You free dive Duke?

Hugh Jorgan said:
I can attest to Island Air being a perfect surfing regional job. I surf pretty much every day. I have a Voyageur waterproof cell phone bag http://www.paddlers.com/product.asp?pid=1001909 that I put inside a fanny-pack dry bag, and it works great. Used it on an epic south swell last week and it kept the phone bone-dry in the most demanding of conditions. Not too bad being #1 reserve and surfing stand-up dry barrels. Now, about that perfect National airline surfing job.....you'd have to ask those folks at Hawaiian or Aloha about that.

That sounds like an awesome job. My friend is a Capt for Aloha and has a great run. Starts at 6 a.m. and is done by 2 in the afternoon and heads home and goes windsurfing for the rest of the day. Keeps asking me to come and live out there and promises me a job with Aloha. If I was single I woudl of been there by now. Live in my shorts all year round. You can't beat that lifestyle.
I guess the only thing I will be surfing is the net on my layover in the super exciting town of Minot ND.

When hiring resumes, American Eagle has a base in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I was based there for several years. MOst of the guys I knew who were into surfing would bid reserve and surf and kite surf all day. The beach is less than ten minutes from the airport. IN addition, you'll fly all the islands in the Caribbean.
Cape Air also has bases in the islands and seasonal have large operations there.

Latest resources

Back