Surf friendly regional jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dear Qwerty,

Where are you based? And don't say Florida.

Whaddup P-Dog? You goin to SEA or what? You know if you try to build a career around surfing instead of surfing around your career you'll end up in a dead-end job that you hate. BTW, did you hear what happend to Richard? Funny stuff. Word up to all the Golden State homies.

SDCFI said:
Whaddup P-Dog? You goin to SEA or what? You know if you try to build a career around surfing instead of surfing around your career you'll end up in a dead-end job that you hate. BTW, did you hear what happend to Richard? Funny stuff. Word up to all the Golden State homies.

Thats not true. Many successful examples abound. This may not be the rule but we're out there.

Last edited:
Re: Must visit the homeland

Kwajman said:
Hey Islandhopper, I lived on Kwajalein for 6 years as a little kid and am anxious to travel there. Can't figure out away to stay on the island, so wondering if you might know away around the sponsor rule. Ebeye island is the other option, but not an attractive one. Still have memories of the kick #$% snorkeling conditions and would like to dive there soon.

not sure on Kwaj but we get a deal at the outrigger on Maj and the locals will show you the best diving spots as long as you give most of your catch to the villagers. Then you can take the one or two fish you kept back to the outrigger hotel and the chef will cook it for you (and your friends) to your liking.

Gas is expensive but you can hire a boat for a little more than the price of fuel. They will pick you up and drop you off hotel side.

PSA, the waves in Dayton rock, and when the south-swell comes in, yea baby.

Sorry I could not resist. Just got out of the water in Carlsbad, CA and they were nice, so you can surf and work for PSA just not that much and not on Ohio.

Guam gets some waves, and you never need a wetsuit. Plus you always have the trade winds for kite surfing, a fun alternative when there is no swell. The free diving is exceptional, and there are no restrictions on spearfishing anywhere. Plus you are less than a 4 hour flight to Bali. The entry level jobs are somewhat scarce, but Continental has a crew base there.

I think SkyWest has a base in SBA. The summer is relatively flat, winter brings the best swells. Rincon is pretty consistent except for high tides and that's about 30 minutes south. I'm with you guys, can't imagine being away from the ocean. Any of you that travel into SBA give a PM when coming into town, I'll buy the beers for a liitle career advice.

Santa Barbara Surfing

islandhopper said:
That cell phone bag is sweet. Now what would you do if you're talking to crew tracking and that killer set at bowls comes in? Do you hang up on crew tracking and go for it?

Easy... we've got ten minutes to call them back and an hour from the time we call them to get to the airport. 3rd dip isn't even an hour from the airport. Therfore, you hang out for another set before paddling in!

I work for NJA, gateway'd in JAX, and live an hour south, on the coast. My days off are in blocks between 5-7. I go surfing every chance I get on my days off.

Not quite as good as the Island Air gig in Hi, but overall not too bad. I can ride my bike to the beach in a couple of minutes and we have longboardable waves most of the tme. I'd rather work here than at a regional because the pay, QOL, equipment, and schedules are much better.

Latest resources

Back