Surf friendly regional jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea it goes off,

you can rent from "Air & Speed" surf shop, it is in Montauk village, it is in a one floor building on a circle of shops.

Like a piazza, grass in the middle, that kinda thing, it is on the back side of the circle,you'll see the sign.

they can give you driving directions.

Yea fly into Islip, rent a car, if you stay at the Holiday Inn at the airport, (Ronkonkoma) tier is a rental car place in the hotel, it is a local place, like it is called Julie's, something like that, they are new cars, just cheaper, i think. whtaever, drive eats on "27", you'll pass through the Hampton's, pats Jerry Seinfeld's place and then to Montuak,

later, good luck,

I'll second what Guam 360 said. Allegheny has used the Holliday Inn there at ISP for the past 5 years, I've spent many a night there. However, you still have 80 or so miles to drive out to the end of Long Island where Montauk is.

I'd recommend renting from the hotel like Guam said. The van service from the hotel is good and the hotel is like 5 or 6 blocks from the airport, about a 3 min. van ride. If you don't mind you can drive out to Montauk and camp on the airport (MTP) there. The airport manager is cool just tell her (Helen) your a pilot and they'll let you pitch tent on the side of the 3200ft runway. There are showers on the field, you may have to pay like 10 or 15 bucks like a tiedown fee that GA guys flying in pay to camp but it beats any lodging you'll find that far out on LI.

Aside from surfing there are some great parties out that way in the summer but before you can score or even talk to a Hamptons chick you'll need to provide her with proof that you make 6 figures or more per year. The calss of party and quality of chick you can get is directly related to your net worth. Don't laugh, I'm not kidding. The good thing is when I go there to visit college friends I get introduced as an airline pilot so everyone automatically thinks I have cashola. Also watch out for rich spoiled chicks in SUV's running over people outside of clubs because they couldn't get a prime parking spot.

As for the surfing, Montauk can get good but it mostly depends on whats going on down in the Carib. or Florida in terms of storm. At the end of the summer when the hurricane season kicks up surfing on LI and the Jersery shore can be a blast.
Outside of the storms wind is usually the best indicator of wave conditions for Montauk.

Another thing, because of beach preservation projects an area of beach that had good wave on summer may stink the next as they dredged over the winter and now there's a sandbar 300 yards out killing the waves that were once rolled in there. This also goes for the Jersey shore, the place off of Avalon, NJ where my dad tought me to surf as a kid is now flat due to a 1/4 mile long sandbar.

The sound side of Montauk can sometime produce a very nice 4 to 6 ft glassy wave, for what reason I don't know, that is the same side that the airport is on, so if the sound up you can walk right out and surf. If you surf on the LI sound/Block Island side keep your eyes open for a Biz Ex BE-1900 thats floating around down there. It went down on a training flight in the early 90ies and is still missing.

Final note about surfing on Montauk, the waves may not be big but the current/tide is. Many guys that go out there surf think its kids stuff because of the small waves. If you get cought off the point of Montauk when LI sound is emtpying out (IE Low tide) your a$$ is swept out for good. Many people think that because LI is the east coast that shore runs north ans south. Take a look at a map. LI runs east and west. Between Montayk and Block Island the flow runs straight out into the gulfstream toward the Bahamas (if your luckey). If you get sucked out at Montuak your 180+ miles off the coast of NJ and not far from the Gulfstream. Read they will not find you, you'll wash up in Ireland. It also it gets deep very very fast out that way, especially off of Nantucket.

Have Fun

PS - back in 97 I was surfing off of Southhampton beach (not far from Montauk) with a fraternity brother when a fishing boat about 1000ft further out reeled in a 6 ft Mako. I looked at Andy and said, "think its time for dinner", he didn't answer, he was already half way back to the shore.

Gouge

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the gouge. I forgot about the shark factor up around there. Well if its my time its my time. Will make upgrade room for another.

Frats,
Humble

Latest resources

Back